Author Topic: "safe" comets  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Caplin (OP)

"safe" comets
« on: July 13, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »
Hi,
I'm attracted by the idea of comet mining.  Some of the ones in Sol seem to have
abundant high accessibility minerals.  
The problem is that I don't seem to have a way to judge orbital paths.  It's one of the few truly visual things on the map.
Is there another way of judging whether a comet will stay in system long enough to be useful?  Is there any way this might be represented in text somehow?
It would help my current mineral-starved position considerably.
Best and thanks,
Zack.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: "safe" comets
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »
I think that Info should be somewhere.
However, if you use Automines and mass drivers, in the worst case, the resources will take a half year to reach you.

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:52:09 PM »
Hi  I'm a newbie myself. 75 years into my first game.  I started out with 3 comets in the Sol system. 2 outside of Pluto and one way way outside of Pluto. Comets do have hi accessibility. Pluto is 6 billion km, Comet 1 and 3 are 8 and 9 billion km out.  Comet 2 is 48 billion km out. The F9 page - System generation and Display shows the values for comets. Comets are listed at the end of the list. The Atmospheric Composition column will list the Aphelion distance for any comet. The next column lists the Current Orbital Distance. On the system map page F3, the All Bodies tab does not list comets ( possibly an oversight), but if you are able to click on a comet, Body info will give you some other info about that comet. primarily the bodies year, in the case of my comet 2, 2526 years.

I thought like you do that the comet would be long gone. but 75 years in the life of a 2500+ year comet is miniscule. Either way, I found that you don't really need to absolutely know the orbital period for some good mining. Some additional tips:

I made my cargo ship with 5 holds and enough fuel to get out to Comet 1 and 3. The cargo fleet consisted of 6 ships. 1 mass driver and 5 automines. I ran out of fuel :( .  Also I didn't invest research into hyper capable engines. Mod 3 ships are hyper capable engines. Set a waypoint just outside the hyper limit of the system and one near the comet. Normal run out to the first WP, turn on hyper, move to the 2nd WP, turn off Hyper, drop off the stuff on the comet and reverse. The fleet zooms out there.

Out of the next 47 systems, only 2 had comets, one with 1 comet and one with 2 comets. The 48th had 12.  :) . Now I don't have any colonies in those 2 sytems with comets, so I built Asteroid Miner ships. These have Asteroid Mining Modules and Cargo holds and Hyper capable.  Sent them to the comet and they mine it. The minerals are still on the comet and I periodically give the load all minerals command. ( cycling the Load All Minerals orders doesn't work after the first time.)

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:03:39 AM »
Hi,
Thank you both for very helpful replies.  I'm glad to have a way to judge the
suitability of mining opperations without too much effort.  
I'm continually amazed by the possibilities this game offers, and look forward to exploring them.
All the best,
Zack.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:36:12 AM »
Welcome into..most CRAZYEST real Universe ever made before..(or never see..my english not so good:).

in some campaigns,ive been strip mines comets very good..
and in some others ive been use them as "Weapons last defence and Logistical reserve Depot"..

anyway are very good use of Comets in some way.

Good testing.