Author Topic: Commercial mines and shipping.  (Read 1577 times)

Offline se5a (OP)

• Lt. Commander
Commercial mines and shipping.
« on: December 18, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »
how do I encourage more commercial mines? esp in other systems.

how do I encourage commercial shipping to pick up from planets that are not earth?
I have had them collect from other planets a handful of times, but it's rare.
collecting from earth is no problem, they do that nearly straight away.

Offline orfeusz

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Commercial mines and shipping.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
how do I encourage more commercial mines? esp in other systems.

IIRC there is % chance of spawning new mining complex per every >=25kk people colony.
Only in Death does Duty End

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »
Is there some minimal amount of minerals that is necessary for civilian mines to be constructed? For example if there is 1000 tons of duranium on asteroid is there a possibility of civilian mine to be constructed?

Offline nafaho7

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »
If you bring up the Economics window (F2) and select the Wealth/Trade tab, you will see an estimate for the production and consumption of commercial goods at the colony you have selected.  Recall that these numbers reflect the expected Annual production, not production from a single build cycle.  In order to haul goods, civilian ships need goods to be physically present in the first place.
If commercial goods are present, but are going unhauled, you need to encourage more shipping to occur between build cycles, so that more tons of goods are hauled per build cycle.  Specifically, you need to allow your civilian ships to run out of commercial hauling contracts on Earth, which will force them to begin servicing other colonies.  At present, civilian shipping only handles a single trade run per explicit time increment.  This means that when you run a single 30 day increment, all of your civilian shipping attempts a single trade run.  If you run a single 5 day increment, all of your civilian shipping attempts a single trade run.  If you run a series of 8-hour time increments, all of your shipping will always attempt to be busy hauling goods, as opportunities arise.
If you pursue this avenue, you would do well to learn exactly how the Auto-Turns feature works.  It helps me immensely.  Using 8-hour intervals and Auto-Turns, and periodically setting Mars as a source of colonists and Earth as a destination, until Mars runs low on people, means that I get more in taxes on shipping colonists then I do from taxes on populations.  Good times.

I do not recall the calculations involved in establishing new Civilian Mining Colonies.

Offline se5a (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »
problem is, these are all non populated asteroid colonies which have been picked clean, and I now need to get the autominers elsewhere. I don't have a lot of cargo ships, three small ones to be exact. so xfering these 50 or so mines and a mass driver from each rock elsewhere manually is a real pain.

Offline nafaho7

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:51:45 PM »
The same logic still applies.  You need your civilian cargo ships to have nothing better to do than actually travel to accept a contract.  It is my understanding that civilian ships accept whatever relevant contract is nearest to their location when calculating their next trade run.  Specifically, the nearest cargo which can be picked up is calculated.  Cargo will only be picked up if it has some destination ready for delivery.  If you can force your civilian shipping to exhaust all of the available commodity hauling contracts available before the next build cycle adds more to the market, civilian ships will begin accepting your contracts, even if they have to travel to get the cargo in the first place.  8-hour time steps(not sub-pulses) and the Auto-Turns feature are your only way out of this, if you want civilian shipping to do the job.  If you have not been using small time intervals beforehand, it will still take your civilian ships quite some time to "Clear the Market," as it were.  Nonetheless, clear it they will, given time.  Additionally, these small time intervals will increase the odds of civilian activity in general.  Such as deciding to build new ships.  If you check the Shipping Lines screen (Crtl + L) you should be able to see how much each shipping line has in the way of available funds.  If you want to encourage additional construction, you can always subsidize one, or more, of the shipping lines.  2000 points of wealth should do the trick quite nicely.

Offline se5a (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »
humn ok. I'll try.