Author Topic: Replacing Teams?  (Read 11230 times)

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Replacing Teams?
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2018, 07:37:21 PM »
Because letting the game decide legitimized the amount, accessibility, and location of the minerals, rather than it just being something you make up.

I personally might request that survey ships be able to carry survey teams around that they automatically drop as part of surveying.  Then they wait for the team to finish, pick em up and move on.

It's a bad idea in the near term for feature creep reasons I think, until Steve at the very least gets a test game going, but in general I would argue this might be nice.

Offline Dr. Toboggan

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »
I personally might request that survey ships be able to carry survey teams around that they automatically drop as part of surveying.  Then they wait for the team to finish, pick em up and move on.

If Steve does implement survey ground units, couldn't you just put the smallest troop bay on your survey ship, then carry a unit around for this?

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2018, 12:01:05 AM »
Especially since we'll now have a transport bay that's about 1/5th smaller than the smallest we had before.

The 100 ton bay will transport 100 tons of troops (about 20 soldiers or a heavy tank).

That seems about right for an independent survey unit, at a no-mechanics glance, though of course it will depend on how much survey capability you can actually fit into that much troop tonnage.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2018, 04:22:30 AM »
Especially since we'll now have a transport bay that's about 1/5th smaller than the smallest we had before.

That seems about right for an independent survey unit, at a no-mechanics glance, though of course it will depend on how much survey capability you can actually fit into that much troop tonnage.

Not a lot of it. Enough, mind you, that you'll be able to get a decent estimate in a couple of decades as they roam the surface of an Earth sized planet looking for signs of TN materials, but that's about it. I personally expect that a given 'team' for archeology or surveying will mass at several thousand to several tens of thousands of tons between the equipment needed and personnel numbers.

Remember, that '5 tons for a basic weapon' isn't just the weapon; it's also everything that's needed to operate it, including the soldier and his life support systems.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2018, 10:28:01 PM »
I still not see the need for geology team it should be abstracted based on the number of mining stations you employed. I am normally a fan of micromanagement, but moving geology teams from one planet to another and finding deposits within a year is neither realistic or beneficial.

Realistically it should take 40+ years to ground survey a planet, for minerals.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2018, 06:15:42 AM »
I think just the potential for expanding it in interesting ways later on makes the team mechanic worth keeping. Like adding the possibility for teams to be abducted by hostile aliens. Or tie them in to some research branches, like a terraforming tech getting a bonus from sending a team to a specific type of rare planet to study it.

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2018, 08:33:51 AM »
If you tie in teams to research then the same can be done using ground troops, have a special troop ability to do research.  If such a thing were implemented, i think it should be a limited amount per planet.  So an interesting planet can get studied to get terraforming data, but not indefinitely.  The same mechanic can also apply to planets with ruins, with parts of research being found there (not just by recovering laboratories, but just the buildings themselves can reveal a lot, this can be reflected by such a mechanic).