Author Topic: Empire Control and Civilian Economy in Aurora  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
Re: Empire Control and Civilian Economy in Aurora
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 07:05:50 AM »
I like that phrase. We violent agree that we agree  ;D Or, we agree that we violently agree  ;D I was referring more the to whole paradox games discussion anyway.

Also sorry for the small misunderstanding about my posts, I decided to break my post in two because it was in my opinion too long, but then I reworked it and it took time, and you were already writing an answer while only the first part was on the forums.

1)  It is a lot of work. <snipped for readability>
Note that this is actually the issue that I'm most concerned about from a game play point of view.  Every decision to give up an abstraction in favor of player control without providing a mechanism for the player to put the abstraction back in increases the burden of playing the game.  This is also the reason I'm so keen for the civilian sector - it abstracts away details I find un-fun. (In fact, I have a vague recollection that I might have been the one that suggested it oh so many years ago.) 

Yes, this is a hard  thing to balance. The problem in my opinion is that different people like different things. In an ideal world, every player would be able to choose what to micromanage and what not to. For example, I might micro the trade goods ferrying while you might might delegate it to the AI, etc. Realistically, this is not a sane thing to ask Steve to code. The question then is where to draw the line where abstraction is concerned. This is ultimately up to Steve, although we can make suggestions. (For the record, I LOVE micro-ing exploration for example)

To reiterate, I would not be against a civilian sector even a bit more developed than right now, just there needs to be at least some level of realism (size of the shipping lines, shipping lines requiring shipyards) and the possibility to direct the civilian sector towards certain outcomes/forbid certain systems etc. Like it is now, the state has basically NO saying in whatever the civilians do, and this is very much unrealistic in any kind of government that is not a Megacorporation Oligopoly or an Anarchy.
In my Galactic Empire, any civilian who gets out of the accepted boundaries is repurposed into liquid fertilizer.

2)  The thing that first struck me when I read your post was "aha!  And the civilization is a hive mind!".  One of the issues with Aurora is having to roleplay fog-of-war; even if you're trying to, it's very difficult.  I remember the days right after Steve introduced AI for the alien races - it was like night and day in terms of the level of tension in the game.  Beforehand, you knew exactly what was out there in the strange unexplored system; afterwards it was more like stumbling around in the dark being afraid of being eaten by a grue.  I just realized what I think is a great comparison: before AI aliens Aurora was basically like a complicated jigsaw puzzle - the trick was putting together the pieces in the right way (although there was random tension when rolling up the aliens the moment you generated a new system).  After AI aliens it was much more of an adventure.  A tough nut to crack is "how to let the player experience the adventure of the scout ship captain that's probing a newly discovered alien system" while at the same time avoiding universal omnipotence.  This is actually one of the reasons I like to handle scouting myself - I always send in two ships and leave one at the jump point to roleplay being able to get the scouting information out.

Guilty as charged, I often play Hive Mind in Stellaris  ;D
More seriously, I would love to have Fog of War. However yes, it's very hard to achieve in game. Once again, where do I draw the line? It would be beautiful if we could build "relay stations". Systems and planets would be "instantly interconnected" only if all the systems in between the two systems have a "relay station". Likewise, actually seeing the results of, for example, geo surveys would only happen once a geo survey ship returns to an "instantly interconnected" system. Once the ship does so, you actually get the geosurvey data, while before that you do not.

This however poses problems. What happens if systems are not "instantly interconnected"? Obviously as a player I must be able to give orders to the ships and planets, else the game cannot work. Another possible example, fleet A, which is in a certain system, has no idea that the nation is under attack in system B because the systems are not "instantly interconnected". But should Aurora forbid me to move fleet A to intercept the attack unless the systems are in instant communication? I feel that in these cases, roleplay is really the only possible solution.
If something like this relay stations and instant connection of systems is ever implemented, perhaps for research and production penalties could be used. Systems and installations out of the instant connection network would have penalties, to model inefficiencies due to information asymmetry. This could be however very tricky to balance, quite controversial, and probably not easy to code.

One could also play the same game with officers - not know that one of them has a high political rating, but instead have it look like a high command rating would be a more realistic abstraction, IMO.  This would better emulate the officer's superiors mis-evaluating him or her for command.  The problem with adding this mechanism comes back to the cognitive burden issue: the player doesn't have enough attention to pay to every officer in the chain of command (or even a few for a significant amount of time outside of combat) to be able to discover the true information about the officer's abilities.

This got me thinking, I had not considered  fog of war for officers. In my opinion, it would be possible and not too onerous. Not for the player nor for the coding.

- A new officer/scientist/governor, fresh out of the academy, is subject to fog of war. Instead of the real, actual values you see something like evaluations.
A governor could show something like:
Rank 4 (this is still needed for assignments)
Mining likely medium expertise, wealth likely low, shipyards likely very low.
And so on, even for officers and scientists. There is a low chance (maybe 5%?) that every single evaluation is just plain wrong, or that a stat is missing, because the character is untested in the field.
- After a term of duty, the mistakes are removed, and for the stats the officer actually has you see intervals. In the above example, mining 20-25%, wealth 10-15%, shipyards 5-10%
- After the second term of duty, you see the exact numbers. I think something like this could work.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:12:39 AM by Zincat »

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 08:12:48 AM »
More seriously, I would love to have Fog of War. However yes, it's very hard to achieve in game. Once again, where do I draw the line? It would be beautiful if we could build "relay stations". Systems and planets would be "instantly interconnected" only if all the systems in between the two systems have a "relay station". Likewise, actually seeing the results of, for example, geo surveys would only happen once a geo survey ship returns to an "instantly interconnected" system. Once the ship does so, you actually get the geosurvey data, while before that you do not.

This however poses problems. What happens if systems are not "instantly interconnected"? Obviously as a player I must be able to give orders to the ships and planets, else the game cannot work. Another possible example, fleet A, which is in a certain system, has no idea that the nation is under attack in system B because the systems are not "instantly interconnected". But should Aurora forbid me to move fleet A to intercept the attack unless the systems are in instant communication? I feel that in these cases, roleplay is really the only possible solution.
If something like this relay stations and instant connection of systems is ever implemented, perhaps for research and production penalties could be used. Systems and installations out of the instant connection network would have penalties, to model inefficiencies due to information asymmetry. This could be however very tricky to balance, quite controversial, and probably not easy to code.
I think the only way to actually represent true fog of war would be to have unconnected ships and systems transfer to AI control until reconnected, and disappear from the screens. And that would be a huge change, more or less a different game. I think it would be an interesting game, but very different. So if an alien blew up your relay station in system B you'd lose any knowledge of system B until your command cruiser jumped in to reestablish control.

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 10:07:37 AM »
Yes, this is a hard  thing to balance. The problem in my opinion is that different people like different things. In an ideal world, every player would be able to choose what to micromanage and what not to. For example, I might micro the trade goods ferrying while you might might delegate it to the AI, etc. Realistically, this is not a sane thing to ask Steve to code. The question then is where to draw the line where abstraction is concerned. This is ultimately up to Steve, although we can make suggestions. (For the record, I LOVE micro-ing exploration for example)
When I typed "jigsaw puzzle" in my previous mail, I had a bit of an epiphany.  I strongly suspect that there is a class of people who like to fiddle with detail (e.g. microing trade goods ferrying) and I suspect these are the same sort of people who enjoy 5K piece jigsaw puzzles.  So I suspect a lot of the disagreements about level of detail are between people with different "jigsaw affinity" scores :)  I would characterize Aurora as having a high jigsaw quotient; I suspect it comes from Steve's desire for realism leading to high level-of-detail modeling.

Interesting you say this.  The other reason I micro exploration is that I have tiny "picket" ships that I place on either side of a jump point with the passive sensors and a small jump drive.  I roleplay instantaneous communication within a star system, while the ships are abstracted to having a regular comm schedule.  This effectively gives instantaneous notice anywhere in the empire when bad guys jump in or if I discover aliens while surveying a new system.

- After the second term of duty, you see the exact numbers. I think something like this could work.
Agreed, except I would be mean and nasty and add an extra hidden fudge factor that changed the reported scores.  So the wonderful research you had leading all your research might be a bumbling nincompoop but REALLY good at hiding it :)

John

Offline space dwarf

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »
Some people seem to be saying "I play as every member of my empire! Every individual of the species". . . .  but in Aurora, you. . .  don't? You play as the government, which is why you have limited control over the activities of the civilians, why unrest is a thing, why your only interaction with the civilian mining colonies is "we buy/we don't buy/we're shutting you down"

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 03:49:54 PM »
I would personally strongly prefer much more delegated management of the empire, but thats a complicated thing to do and very different from the base nature of this game in general.  I'd personally just assume it will never happen and call it a day.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 06:04:45 PM »
I will not target any of the specifics brought up in this thread but here are my reasoning and thought on the subject matter.

Firstly, even if you imagine yourself in control of many different aspect of a civilizations administrative branches the harsh reality is that games (Aurora is no exception) give unrealistic efficiency in between these branches from a human perspective. I would even argue that a hive-mind would never be this perfect either.

This is why you do need some abstracted regulation of player control and allot more negative impact on player interaction with the gaming world and more options should have negative consequences as well as positive.

The game is really good at distributing military technology to its fleets. You need to not only research the technologies you also need to research the designs and then integrate these designs into your ships in order to benefit from them.

The game is very poor at doing the same with civilian, social and economic technologies which in reality is even harder and less homogeneous distributed in a society.

Civilian economy and societies are extremely abstracted in Aurora and it is down to the player to RP most restrictions so the game flows in a realistic manner. This is also why it is so hard to have rational discussion in game strategies in economy since everyone play with their own set of rules and some with no rules at all.

There obviously are pros and cons with any method you choose to implement the civilian influence on the government and economic growth in general. In reality (human that is) civilian economy would still drive space exploitation. Government are mainly being at the forefront of the most expensive and resource intensive project, civilians will sweep in after and do the exploitation.

Anything that explore on exploiting the civilian economy more I would be in favor of, especially if done in such a way you don't have to use it (like civilian transport today for example).

I would also be in favor of civilian economy requiring TN elements for consumption in some form or you simply loose income from it. Civilian economy should not just spawn stuff, if should build mines, infrastructure and ships based on their economy.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:07:27 PM by Jorgen_CAB »