Author Topic: Automating Fuel Harvesters.  (Read 2018 times)

Offline se5a (OP)

• Lt. Commander
Automating Fuel Harvesters.
« on: December 24, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »
What's the best way to do this?
conditional has two orders, one to unload an colony within 4 and another to unload at colony and move to sorium gas giant.
I've noticed the second part of the second one does not apear to work, is there any difference between the two other than that? I seem to have to set the default orders to move to Gas Giant with Sorium. with either of them
I've noticed that sometimes it gets stuck with the conditional unload order sitting after the move to sorium order even though the tanks are at 100... not sure weather using one conditional order or the other affects this?

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
Re: Automating Fuel Harvesters.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »
I haven't actually messed around with using fuel harvesters to deliver the fuel they harvest, I've always found it far easier to automate to leave them harvesting and use a tanker to transfer the fuel.

Offline orfeusz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 04:23:32 AM »
I haven't actually messed around with using fuel harvesters to deliver the fuel they harvest, I've always found it far easier to automate to leave them harvesting and use a tanker to transfer the fuel.

IMHO that is the best way, because cost of engines for moving all that fuel-making machines even with average speed would be intolerable.
Only in Death does Duty End

Offline Stardust

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 09:42:18 PM »
I tow a bunch of engineless harvesters around a suitable source.  When all are in place, I permanently attach one harvester to the group tug, put the remaining in a single task group, and cycle order the group tug to refuel from the task group and unload 90% of fuel wherever I please.

Once in place, maintenance is minimal.  Every year or so, I'll be informed that one or more of my harvesters' tanks have reached 90% of capacity.  I go to the task group and equalize fuel, not to be bothered again until next year.

Offline se5a (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
I might try that.
maybe the delay order could be used in conjunction with the equalize fuel order to make it even more autonomous?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
Create fuel harvesting bases, use tugs to haul them at a suitable spot and leave them there. Give an tanker an order to refuel at them, unload 90% at a colony of your choosing and then click "cycle orders". Don't make the tanker too big, as the game will give errors if the bases are empty. You'll never have to touch them again.