Author Topic: Jump tenders  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Doren (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
Jump tenders
« on: March 19, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »
So I designed and built jump tender with 10 200 ton military jump engine believing that it could work as tender for ships up to 10k tons.  Turns out it does not, my 9 000 ton ship is too large for the jump tender.  Same with my 27k tender is unable to help 24k ships transit trough jump points.

How large jump drive do I need to make to ferry my 9k ton military ships through jump point?

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Jump tenders
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »
How big is the ship it's on?  If you have a 10.2 k ton jump drive on a 2k ton ship, you can only ferry through 2k ton ships.  Or, more clearly, max size for accompanying ships is the size of the jump tender ship, not the jump drive on that ship.
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline Doren (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
Quote from: Konisforce link=topic=5993. msg61483#msg61483 date=1363710921
How big is the ship it's on?  If you have a 10. 2 k ton jump drive on a 2k ton ship, you can only ferry through 2k ton ships.   Or, more clearly, max size for accompanying ships is the size of the jump tender ship, not the jump drive on that ship.
If the tender's size is deciding factor, then my tenders are too small, my military tender is only 6 500 tons.  Now I need to decide what I want to put in them.  I have couple designs I'm in need of, and both could be incorporated to tender design.  Back to furiously designing fleet composition it seems!

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »
Yup yup!  You've gotta pad your tenders out with other systems, so there's an opportunity to stick in a lot of things that don't make sense on another sort of ship.
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »
You also need to be aware that commercial jump engines can not take a military engine ship through jump points. 

As for what to put on to pad out the spaces, I like to use my jump tenders in one of two ways.  The first is equip them with the biggest passive sensors I can.  The second is to equip them to support the rest of the fleet with extra mainenance, fuel, or missiles.  With the current game setup I would also add some emergency cryogenics and extra crew quarters to handle either prisoners or if one of your ships is destroyed, you have a place for the crew to go to.

Brian

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »
Though on the plus side, I believe you can put military jump engines on commercial ships.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
Though on the plus side, I believe you can put military jump engines on commercial ships.
That is correct, and it does not change the commercial status of the ship.

Brian

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 07:34:02 AM »
With current game mechanics using your tender as a tanker is a bonus to projecting power.  I am constantly running low on fuel and keep needing to rescue my battle fleets with emergency tanker runs.