Author Topic: Captured, found, or salvaged ship components.  (Read 1952 times)

Offline GenJeFT (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Captured, found, or salvaged ship components.
« on: April 09, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »
Hello.

Can I do anything with ship components I recover from salvage or ruin exploration. I have some components I already have the tech for and instead of scrapping them or dissembling them I would like to try and equip them on a ship. Is that possible or not?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Captured, found, or salvaged ship components.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »
Hello.

Can I do anything with ship components I recover from salvage or ruin exploration. I have some components I already have the tech for and instead of scrapping them or dissembling them I would like to try and equip them on a ship. Is that possible or not?

If it is a generic component such as a geological survey sensor or asteroid mining module then you can use it normally. If it is an alien-designed component, such as a laser, engine or sensor, you will have use that specific component in your ship design. You can do that by going into Ship Design and unclicking the Own Tech Only checkbox. You also use alien components in this way that you can't build, so if you find high tech components you can design and build a higher tech ship using those components. However, any ship with alien components can only be built if you have those alien components in your stockpile at the colony where you are going to build the ship. Once those components are used up you won't be able to build any more ships of that type (unless you get more from salvage).

Steve

Offline GenJeFT (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Captured, found, or salvaged ship components.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »
Cool, I got a reply from Steve himself.

This game rocks Steve. Thanks for making it. I like the depth and complexity of the game.

One of my favorite features so far is the commercial shipping lines. A great way of simulating the transfer of things from one planet to another without making the players do all of it themselves. It gives me ideas for some of my own games.

I would add the ability for commercial shipping lines to carry ground troops, ship components, and minerals. Based mostly on my experience in real life where now governments rely mostly on civilian shipping companies to move equipment and troops. When I deployed to Iraq we flew most of the way on contract flights from private companies. We only took military flights for the last and most dangerous leg of the trip.

Setting commercial lines up like this in Aurora 2 would allow for more decentralized manufacturing and allow for easier staging for invasions. Instead of building a fleet of troop transports I can have the civilian lines ship the troops to the system next to my invasion target and then all I would need are the drop ships.

I am going to college for game programming and development.