Author Topic: Overhauls  (Read 2877 times)

Offline x2yzh9 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • x
Overhauls
« on: January 12, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »
What are they? I don't know if i should do this on a regular basis or what.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Overhauls
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »
Overhauls are to prevent your ships from falling apart. If you checked "No Overhauls needed" in the game setup, then you can ignore them. Otherwise, you'll need to periodically send your ships in for overhauling.

Offline x2yzh9 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • x
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »
I see, that does make sense. Thanks!

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:45:04 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Overhauls are to prevent your ships from falling apart. If you checked "No Overhauls needed" in the game setup, then you can ignore them. Otherwise, you'll need to periodically send your ships in for overhauling.

On the F12 screen, there's a column "maintenance clock".  As this number gets bigger, the probability of a breakdown increases.  Overhaul unwinds this clock, but there's a time penalty if you want to abort the overhaul early (since the parts are strewn all over the deck).

John

Offline x2yzh9 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • x
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

On the F12 screen, there's a column "maintenance clock".  As this number gets bigger, the probability of a breakdown increases.  Overhaul unwinds this clock, but there's a time penalty if you want to abort the overhaul early (since the parts are strewn all over the deck).

John
On one of my ships, it's at the Aquarii system by the way-It's telling me there's n0 maint. Facil. big enough on the colony, and i was wondering what tab that was to upgrade the maint. fac. so it can overhaul it.[It's the scout ship, by the way. 1950 tons.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:04:06 PM »
Quote from: "x2yzh9"
Quote from: "sloanjh"

John
On one of my ships, it's at the Aquarii system by the way-It's telling me there's n0 maint. Facil. big enough on the colony, and i was wondering what tab that was to upgrade the maint. fac. so it can overhaul it.[It's the scout ship, by the way. 1950 tons.

That would be the Maintenance Facilities, produced by Industrial Capacity. I believe they come in increments of 250 tons. So you need 2000 tons of maintenance facilities (or 8 ).

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 11:04:46 PM »
That would be the Maintenance Facilities, produced by Industrial Capacity. I believe they come in increments of 250 tons. So you need 2000 tons of maintenance facilities (or 8 ).

I'm pretty sure each one provides 200 tons of capacity, and each one is the same size as a factory/mine.  It's easy for you (x2yzh9) to confirm - build one and see how much the maint. capacity goes up on the summary tab of the F2 screen.

John

Offline Magnnus

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 03:03:09 AM »
If you change a class design does a ship of that class change to the new design when you overhaul it?

Offline lastverb

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 05:21:04 AM »
Quote from: "Magnnus"
If you change a class design does a ship of that class change to the new design when you overhaul it?
there is a bug, if u change desing, which u used to build any ships, every one of that model will instant change. if u dont want to use this bug u have to copy design and change copied ver. (then use refit to)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 08:44:53 AM »
Quote from: "lastverb"
Quote from: "Magnnus"
there is a bug, if u change desing, which u used to build any ships, every one of that model will instant change. if u dont want to use this bug u have to copy design and change copied ver. (then use refit to)

This is not a bug, this is a feature that allows you to change reality if you don't like it.  If Steve wanted the "unbugged" behavior he could have locked the designs when a construction of a new ship of that type was started long ago ... and promptly faced a rebellion from his users :-)

The procedure you describe is correct for creating follow-on designs - copy the design and edit it.  Think about e.g. Arleigh Burke Block 1, Block2, ... designs - the Pentagon didn't throw away the Block 1 "blueprints" when they designed Block 2 - they cloned them.

John

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 08:47:22 AM »
This "features" are very hatred.
Am hate cheat and issue for become "God-mode",even in Aurora too.

hope Steve change this and LOCK every design who r builded.

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:36:18 AM »
Not hated by me, I dont use the feature often, but it has saved me when I have needed to do some reality changeing.  would really hate to see it dissapear.  I dont use it to fix errors in design, those I play thru(just fire the design staff LOL).  I have used it when I decided to change an empires total design style, ex: getting rid of all frigates and turning them into Cruisers, I dont do this often but do use it occassionally.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:15:12 AM by Sotak246 »

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »
I´m with Waresky here, even if I don´t exactely _hate_ this "feature" but I definitely don´t use it.

I am the guy who approved the design for building (and am the one designing the ship in the first place). So if I created a ship with a serious design fault, well, I get what I deserve

I had something like this a few game years ago, when my strikefleet, mostely missile cruisers, encountered a swarm of some 50+ FACs. Only then I realized, that all my ships had missile targeting gear with resolution 100 and couldn´t lock on to the enemy FACs until being well inside the FACs missile envelope. So the fleet got hammered. I made a bad design desicion and had to pay the price for it, simple as that.

P.s.: You can bet I made damn sure my new designs would include a res-20 and some of them even a res-5, missile targeting system)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 09:32:17 PM »
Just to be clear, I'm in the "almost never use it, and don't use it to fix design flaws" camp as well.  On the other hand, I'll use it in trivial circumstances when it doesn't make any gameplay difference, and doing it the right way would be more trouble than it's worth.  For example, I recently did a retool of a FAC shipyard to a new FAC design (don't remember the difference).  About a week after the retool finished (after I had launched a build but before any were completed) I researched small engineering.  It wasn't worth it to me designing a new class, retooling the SY yet again, then refitting the ships under constuction up to the new standard just to trade some engineering space for a little fuel, so I simply changed the design.  Prior to that, I can't remember the last time I changed a design.  A few (game) weeks later, a similar situation showed up when I researched 50% thermal engines.  In that case, I went ahead and did it the "right" way, since I considered the difference in engines significant.

Since most of Aurora is single-player, I put this in the same category as cheating at solitaire - I trust myself enough not to cheat to not want Steve to limit my ability to modify reality in a non-cheating way.

John

Offline Magnnus

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
Why not just make it only available as space master?