Author Topic: geological team survey  (Read 2957 times)

Offline metalax (OP)

• Commander
  • m
geological team survey
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:17:15 AM »
Where it says 'geological team survey - no' in the summary on earth does this mean that no survey is possible, that no survey is in progress or no survey has taken place? I have a geological team on Earth and have just created a mining colony on Mars which doesn't have 'geological team survey' in it's summary at all.

Offline Elmo

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
Re: geological team survey
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:57:12 AM »
Was just wondering about this too.  I also have a team on Earth but have not received any message about them completing their survey.  It probably takes time depending on the total bonuses of the team members.  So I "assume" No means the survey is not complete yet, but someone who knows will give a definitive answer soon.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
Elmo's assumption is correct, geological survey team - no does mean that the planetary body has not had a survey completed by a geological survey team.
Edited to add:
This thread has a discussion of this functionality - http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1765&p=17187&hilit=geological+survey+team#p17187
Welchbloke

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:51:40 PM »
A good indicator is the message:

'Geology Team led by [James Kirk] on [Mars] reports that they have completed their survey and believe that no more resources will be found'

on every 5-day increment when a Geology Team is on a planet that has been completely surveyed.

At least, I think that still happens?

Offline metalax (OP)

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
A good indicator is the message:

'Geology Team led by [James Kirk] on [Mars] reports that they have completed their survey and believe that no more resources will be found'

on every 5-day increment when a Geology Team is on a planet that has been completely surveyed.

At least, I think that still happens?

Yep, I'd figured that from what I'd been able to find on a search of the forum. I was more referring to what exactly the 'geological team survey - no' in the summary for a colony meant.

Quote from: "welchbloke"
Elmo's assumption is correct, geological survey team - no does mean that the planetary body has not had a survey completed by a geological survey team.
Edited to add:
This thread has a discussion of this functionality - http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1765&p=17187&hilit=geological+survey+team#p17187

From my reading of that discussion, I get the impression that the 'geological team survey' line in a colony summary will only show up for populated colonies(at least in this version 4.77). Is that correct? If so, is there any way to tell if an unpopulated colony has had a full survey, without having to send a team there and see if they spam their we can't find anything message?

Also do you have to do anything beyond creating a team on a colony/dropping a team off on a colony for them to work?

Final question is can survey teams find resources on bodies that a survey ship has scanned and found nothing on?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 09:22:29 PM »
Quote from: "metalax"
Also do you have to do anything beyond creating a team on a colony/dropping a team off on a colony for them to work?
No.
Final question is can survey teams find resources on bodies that a survey ship has scanned and found nothing on?
Yes.

John

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 05:16:11 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
...Final question is can survey teams find resources on bodies that a survey ship has scanned and found nothing on?
Yes.

John

Is there a way to automate this like you can with geo survey ships?

Edit - And is there any way to see the progress of your survey teams?  I've had one on Earth for 16 days so far and the survey has still not been completed.  I'm wondering if something is wrong.

Offline Hegemon2

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • H
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 05:13:37 AM »
How long does a Ground Survey take?

My team has been on Mars for several years now and have neither found new deposits, nor said there's nothing to be found.

Does the team still work when there are less than five people? I had reassigned a two of the geologists through the Leaders screen and later rebuilt the team with two naval officers. The latter were on earth, the original three on Mars. Their location was updated to Mars without me shipping them there, though.

Offline metalax (OP)

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 05:38:45 AM »
Quote from: "Elmo"
Edit - And is there any way to see the progress of your survey teams?  I've had one on Earth for 16 days so far and the survey has still not been completed.  I'm wondering if something is wrong.

It took something like a year and a half for my survey team on earth to finish after finding three deposits, and it's just taken two years to finish finding a deposit on Luna.

After finishing my survey on Luna, it looks like the colony itself won't show any indication of a completed survey unless it's a populated colony.

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 05:52:51 AM »

It took something like a year and a half for my survey team on earth to finish after finding three deposits, and it's just taken two years to finish finding a deposit on Luna.

After finishing my survey on Luna, it looks like the colony itself won't show any indication of a completed survey unless it's a populated colony.

OK, then.  Thought I read that you would get results in 5 days.  Must have read it wrong!

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 08:38:40 AM »

OK, then.  Thought I read that you would get results in 5 days.  Must have read it wrong!

It checks every economic update (5-day), but the odds of finding anything are very small.  Think of it as surveying for significant oil deposits - the timescale is years, not days.

John

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:13:05 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

It checks every economic update (5-day), but the odds of finding anything are very small.  Think of it as surveying for significant oil deposits - the timescale is years, not days.

John

Makes sense, thanks.  Any way to automate survey teams or do you have to move them from body to body manually?

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 09:32:23 AM »
The teams need to be shipped manually from planet to planet via ship.

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
Quote from: "Sotak246"
The teams need to be shipped manually from planet to planet via ship.

Thanks.  Not to belabor this but I assume the ship doesn't need  a cryo transport module?

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 10:29:03 AM »
Only "Colonist on Cryostasys" need Cryo module.

Think: a ships are same as Bus..:D.

Take ur Xeno,geo,Diplo or simple alone Commander onboard to any ships and setup a destinations reach.
Disembark ONLY up a "Colony" established.