Author Topic: Not wanting to put any pressure but ... when 5.30?  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
Not wanting to put any pressure but ... when 5.30?
« on: October 20, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »
Hi,

Sorry, there was a need for someone to play M. Bothersome on that  ;D

I'm waiting for 5.30 to comes out, if it is not too long due, before restarting a game. My previous game was wasted by the problematic bug of AI feeling threatened by my merchant fleet (they gave trade access then DOW'ed me, Pearl Harbour style a few days later), so I wanted to restart, but without this nasty bug...

Any chance to get an ETA for the patch?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Not wanting to put any pressure but ... when 5.30?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 08:50:18 AM »
Hi,

Sorry, there was a need for someone to play M. Bothersome on that  ;D

I'm waiting for 5.30 to comes out, if it is not too long due, before restarting a game. My previous game was wasted by the problematic bug of AI feeling threatened by my merchant fleet (they gave trade access then DOW'ed me, Pearl Harbour style a few days later), so I wanted to restart, but without this nasty bug...

Any chance to get an ETA for the patch?
Ummmm you do know there's a workaround for th relationship bug, right?

IIRC, if you go to SM mode then you can edit the relationship value with another race.  Simply start moving the relationship up by 50-100 until they're allied (I think it is) with you - IIRC this will be around 800.  At that point, the relationship will stop dropping when they see your ships.  You can remember how much you increased the relationship by, and (once it's grown enough to be safe) drop it by the same amount.

As for the DoW, if they haveny't yet blown up any of your ships, then changing the relationship should put them back to "peace".  If they have, then you should be able to restore one of your back-up DBs.  If you don't have any back-up DBs, then you should read the thread (I think it's in the FAQ) about how to (and how often to) save your games.

As for 5.30 coming out, my suspicion is that it will be a couple of months yet.  Steve hasn't been real active on the board, so I assume there's a lot going on IRL.  In addition, he just started a C# project, and that will soak up a lot of his attention.  In the past, "a couple of weeks" until the next release has actually wound up being quite a bit longer.  Not a criticism, just an observation.  In addition, my recollection of his phrasing was "at least a few weeks".

John

PS - Please don't open new threads in "Bugs" (ditto for "Suggestions") -Steve uses these boards as a"filing cabinet" and extra threads clutter them up.  This topic (the relationship bug) was better suited to The Academy.

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
It will be several weeks, perhaps Xmas, before there is another update. As John mentioned, real life is very busy at the moment, mainly because I am playing almost exclusively live rather than online and that requires a lot more time. Tonight for example I will probably leave home at 7.30pm and get back tomorrow morning at 9am. Then I will be too hyped up to sleep but too tired to concentrate. I get to sleep about 11am, wake up about 6.30pm and then start again. I am working on Aurora and my other hobbies on my 2-3 days off a week so it really depends on the other demands on my time. Learning C# and WPF is time-consuming as well, although fun.

Steve

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 01:24:43 PM »
Well understood, thank to the both of you for the details and explanations. I'll restart a new game, knowing the 'adjust relationship' trick if need be.

Have a good time with your poker activity Steve. This is a fascinating way of earning money!

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 06:59:37 AM »
Have a good time with your poker activity Steve. This is a fascinating way of earning money!

It has its ups and downs :). The huge advantage of my job is the complete freedom I have to do whatever I want in life. I have no boss on my back, no employees to manage, no deadlines to meet, no customers to keep happy and no regulations to abide by. I sleep when I feel like it, go out when I please, go on vacation at the drop of a hat and take a day off if I am simply not in the mood for work :). I don't even pay any income tax as poker is judged to be entirely based on luck by the Inland Revenue and is therefore not taxable.

On the other hand, the first four days of this month I lost over $5000 so its not exactly a job for the faint-hearted either :)

Steve