Author Topic: White Screens  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
White Screens
« on: April 12, 2020, 12:53:23 PM »
There have been a couple of reports of white screens - Economics and Naval Org.

I can't reproduce them and I've never seen anything similar in testing. If anyone is seeing this, please note it here along with anything else you were doing at the time.

If anyone can consistently reproduce it, please let me know how.

Offline Diamondback556

• Leading Rate
  • D
Re: White Screens
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 01:22:07 PM »
https://drive. google. com/file/d/12lCqGR5gA7oNw43Vn0XzCnlNq6sE5gGz/view

In this save, immediately after creating my first engine design into a research project, I could no longer open the economics tab.

Earlier this morning, after I had produced my first ship and surveyed Luna, the Naval Org tab stopped opening.

Just now, trying to open the economics tab produced a white screen.  However, I already had the economics tab open, and the open window continued to work.

Reinstalling the game and dropping the save back in has no effect, restarting the game and my computer has no effect, so far each time I've had to revert to a previous save.

Offline Diamondback556

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 01:25:01 PM »
If I switch from my game to the included Terran Federation game, the windows will open again.  Switching back to my game, and they are still white screens.

Offline HighTemplar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • H
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »
making a Gauss turret seemed to trigger it for me (plus closing a bunch of aurora tabs, every time you click on one of the icons it makes a new tab unlike in vb6 which i didn't work out for about 20 mins)

Offline RagnarVaren

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »
Got a white screen after loading a ground survey unit from Earth and unloading it on Mars.      Maybe an issue with the new colony?

Edit: Only thing that seems to fix it is a new game

Edit2: Tried doing the same in a new game and didn't get the white screen but my survey team did disappear due to not having created a colony first.   

Edit3:  Diamondback556's save gives me a white screen too for the economics screen.   Here's a link to my save https://www.  dropbox.  com/s/po5lko6gr50u391/AuroraDB.  db?dl=0

I'm guessing there is some kind of database issue that causes a white screen when the game tries to look up values to show for the economics windows.  Perhaps it's something an NPR is doing since it seems to occur at different times for different people.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:58:34 PM by RagnarVaren »

Offline Metrolnum

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 02:47:59 PM »
I was just going through some turns manually and my economics screen white screened. 

Offline TeSparg

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 03:00:10 PM »
I am running Windows 10 - 64 bit.     
With only one monitor.       
The only program that was in the background was firefox.       (IDK if it matters)
Graphics card : GeForce 9400 GT
Ram: 8 GB
CPU: I5 2400 @ 3. 10 GHz 3. 40Ghz

Long story short I still haven't figured it out yet.     

I had it in multiple games in different situations. I actively tried to glitch the windows but had mixed success.   Reloading past saves fixes the bug , but if you save with it, it will stay the same as before.       

Only thing I know for sure is that if you right click the white window and click on the option to move ( idk if its a specific thing only on windows 10 I never used that before ) the mouse will jump in the top left of the screen but if i do the same thing on a window that works it will jump on the middle of the top bar (the one with the minimize maximize and close options the standard one)

If you ask me its like the window doesn't exist. Also if you move a window outside of the monitor and close it and reopen it( and if it reopens outside the monitor), the window will be partially white (only the part that is outside the monitor ) that is why I think the window somehow doesn't open.     

It appeared in multiple games:
- game 1 only the Economic window , no apparent reason (no errors or big lag spikes or anything like that), last thing i did was close some tabs.     
- I reloaded the original game that came preinstaled I tried opening a bunch of tabs and closing them as fast as possible after I did some random game turns and while making random game turns
the economy window got bugged.     
- game 2 only the Fleet Organization , same as above, but I forgot to put a tractor beam on a ship so I unlocked it and modified it then made a new fleet order ( still didn't get errors or anything like that ) then when i reopened it , it didn't work (it became white).     
- I reloaded the game 2 and everything was fine but I got the same thing, but now for the System View , here I wanted to open System View but I clicked the Open Galactic Map button since they look similar, then immediately clicked left on the correct button and nothing happened, and the window was now not appearing ,and white when I was searching for it on the window bar.     
- I reloaded game 2 and started to click tons of tabs and close them to see if it was this that caused it, it did not happen again, I continued playing and I hit the bug again, now I had the economy window open and I minimized it and forgot about it , I started to design an engine and a ship then when I wanted to look at my shipyards it the economy window was buged agian.       BUT the one that was open was still working it still displayed and the buttons worked! It was only when I was trying to open a new one that it didn't work.     
- I started a new game ( game 3) and started playing , saving when I was sure there where no white windows, after sometime I wanted to look at the Event Log and after I closed it I saw a small amount of lag ( so tiny I ignored it ) then when I tried again later it was buged. I tried opening other windows and I got another one buged I had 2 windows buged in the same game (the Event Log one and I think the Medals one).     

IDK what to make of this thats why I wrote everything down that I remembered. Sorry if its long and sorry for bad english if there is any. Ask if you don't understand something.     
I was going to say that: "My opinion is that it happens when you open tabs to fast or close them" but during writing this , it happened again to the economy window, I didn't even do anything for like 20 min since I took a break, so to my it seams random now. I hope this helps.     

EDIT: I did close them using the taskbar from time to time, that would explain why it was inconsistent when testing. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:10:51 AM by TeSparg »

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »
Not sure if I count here, but when I tested Rifle's save file, I had a different manifestation of this issue. My version of this bug was that the Economics window showed up on the taskbar, but I couldn't actually find it anywhere on the screen, nor could I interact with it.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 03:32:33 PM »
... You know, i just had a thought, and I might be wrong by a mile. But there's no harm in asking right?

Since Steve wrote in another post that c#Aurora requires you to have  as a system decimal separator, as in
13.57 billions km

Do you have that? Or is your operative system set to show 13,57 billions km? Because if it is a database issue, maybe that is something that could break the database?
If the db ends up with invalid values in the fields somehow...

Just a shot in the dark, if you all already have the anglo-saxon way of using 13.57 then what I wrote is completely useless  ;D

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:34:04 PM by Zincat »

Offline Kracc

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 03:44:52 PM »
Quote from: Zincat link=topic=10654. msg121361#msg121361 date=1586723553
. . .  You know, i just had a thought, and I might be wrong by a mile.  But there's no harm in asking right?

Since Steve wrote in another post that c#Aurora requires you to have  as a system decimal separator, as in
13. 57 billions km

Do you have that? Or is your operative system set to show 13,57 billions km? Because if it is a database issue, maybe that is something that could break the database?
If the db ends up with invalid values in the fields somehow. . .

Just a shot in the dark, if you all already have the anglo-saxon way of using 13. 57 then what I wrote is completely useless  ;D

I'm using regular decimal separators and I got the issue when I closed the Fleet Org tab, did an increment of one day, then tried opening it again to a white screen.

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 03:47:55 PM »
AnotherRookie in the Discord discovered a way to reproduce this issue, and because of that, I was able to find a workaround

Reproduction steps
1. Open any Aurora menu such as the event window or econ window.
2. Minimize the window
3. Close it from the taskbar.

This suggested a workaround:

Workaround until issue is fixed
The "Reset Windows" button in the miscellaneous tab of the tactical map will fix the problem for anyone who experiences it.

So the problem is the way window coordinates are saved in the database. That should give you a good place to start looking, Steve.

Thanks again to AnotherRookie in the Discord server for giving me reproduction steps.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:51:18 PM by Inglonias »

Offline sigmawq

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 03:58:49 PM »
Quote from: Inglonias link=topic=10654. msg121365#msg121365 date=1586724475
AnotherRookie in the Discord discovered a way to reproduce this issue, and because of that, I was able to find a workaround

Reproduction steps
1.  Open any Aurora menu such as the event window or econ window.
2.  Minimize the window
3.  Close it from the taskbar.

This suggested a workaround:

Workaround until issue is fixed
The "Reset Windows" button in the miscellaneous tab of the tactical map will fix the problem for anyone who experiences it.

So the problem is the way window coordinates are saved in the database.  That should give you a good place to start looking, Steve.

Thanks again to AnotherRookie in the Discord server for giving me reproduction steps.

It worked for me, thanks!

Offline Diamondback556

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »
I had thought I tried the reset windows button to no effect, but I’ll try it again next time I encounter it. 

Offline Diamondback556

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 07:28:51 PM »
Good news, playing the last several hours I've avoided closing any of the economics/ fleet/ event windows by hovering the mouse over the task bar and hitting the "x" when the small preview appears.  I haven't encountered the white screen once using this method, after three hours.

Offline Gary

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • G
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 07:40:21 PM »
I've made about 4 new games and each ended up having the white box bug.  It seems to happen after making new techs or designing new ships.