Author Topic: Mining Help  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Shininglight (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
Mining Help
« on: May 04, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »
I'm not absolutely positive if this is the right section and if it isn't then i apologize but i've been having some issues with mining.  I'm new at the game and i keep running into shortages of duranium and Corundium, both in access and total supply, I've tried to jumpstart civilian mining but so far i've had no luck, can anyone help?
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Mining Help
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:57:18 PM »
You'll get two general answers.

1 - Use SM mode and give your homeworld a boost in starting minerals. This is usually what I do. Just tack a zero onto the end of the amounts, then mine. Yes I still run into shortages, but they don't seem as severe.

2 - Mine the crap out of everything you can. Assuming a Sol start, mine Mars, Venus, Mercury, and any moons/asteroids that have minerals.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:04:29 PM »
Thanks i'll try that, i've just started the game so i've been getting used to the GUI . . .  such as it is, trying to build a decent fleet and mines and construction factories for my colonies has been murder. 

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:16:51 PM »
Initially, all you will need are your survey fleets and a home defense fleet. Of course, that will bite you when you run into your first hostile race ;)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 07:22:24 PM »
I know that's why i have a fairly heavy deence fleet for antimissile work, 3 King. . . .  whatevers, armed with gauss cannons, 4 missile destroyers, 2 cobra class particle beam destroyers, ne ship of another class i can't remember, lost one of my survey vessels to a missile buoy, or mines. . . .  not really sure, all i know is that when i entered alpha centauri i found about 4 planets with 2. 00 coloniz costs and a buttload of wrecks ruins on two of the planets, one of my geo survey boats got too close to a planet and went poof, my Kings and cobras killed the missiles pretty quickly so all went well.  My colonization has sucked though and i have another month or so until my colony ships are finished.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
I try not to "cheat" so I follow option #2.  For the first 20 years I play with my head down low.  Minimal expansion and surveying.  Spend most of my energy expanding mining operations and technology.  I often do not even start to plan my first offensive ship until 20 years in.