Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 355224 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1110 on: January 13, 2021, 10:24:39 AM »
The two HQs thing was partially disproven elsewhere in the forums in that the redundancy does not improve the commanders' odds of surviving if one of the HQs is destroyed, basically the commander is "on" one of the two HQs and if it is destroyed the commander dies.

The commander will be in the HQ with the higher command if 1 or more HQ are present true, however, a replacement commander gets assigned (if you do have automatic assignments) when the original commander dies and assignments check is due. I never mentioned improving survival of commanders or other. Furthermore, Steve does use 2 HQ in all his offensive formation designs so I must trust his "instinct".  ;)

The chance of the commander getting killed is:

(HQ Rating of destroyed unit / HQ Rating of formation) * 25%

So multiple HQs do improve commander survival chance.

But the HQ rating of formations don't go up when you add multiple HQs. 2 4000 rated HQs still result in a 4000 rated formation

Yes that's true. I should have been clearer above. For commander casualties it is the total rating of HQs within the formation, not the formation HQ rating.

(HQ Rating of destroyed unit / Total of HQ Ratings within formation) * 25%

For example, assume you have 2x 5000-ton rated HQs in a formation. The HQ rating of the formation is 5000 tons, but the chance of the commander being killed if one is destroyed is (5000 / 10,000) * 0.25.

The following users thanked this post: Droll, BAGrimm, nuclearslurpee

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1111 on: January 13, 2021, 10:36:13 AM »
Last night I finally put in place a Maintenance Base Complex at a critical crossroads JP for my upcoming offensive.  With no body to put a colony on there, there is no summary screen  to quickly see the Military Tonnage currently being supported.
Is there a place to see this? Kind of a pita to juggle patrols  and overhauls by hand all the time to ensure I am not exceeding it's capabilities.

I mean besides using SM to create an Asteroid there. Never messed with SM for stuff like that before and would prefer that I'm just a noob and the data is already available. If SM is the best/only way to handle this currently, I'm curious how the experienced players handle this. Is 'tractoring a tiny asteroid' (SM Mode) so I can make use of the Colony summary screen cheaty? If I refrain from using the moved Asteroid to house ground units for additional defense (or DSTS or anything else), are there any other benefits that I shouldn't technically have by using this method?

Using the JP is saving me 2-4 days response time to 3 diff systems but I feel like I'm a logistics secretary far too much.  I'd really rather not have to move it all out to the colony there just so I can see the data.

If you merge all the ships at the base into a single fleet (perhaps using join as subfleet to keep track of organization), the naval org window will show the total tonnage in your new "on-base" fleet.

Appreciate that. It's my current 'best of the worst' way to handle it.  Unless I'm missing something (completely possible, I was blind to the 'assign all' checkbox for missiles for....months?), it's the micro of having to use move orders (so start/stop game repeatedly) to keep the subfleets org intact. It's a very busy FOB. Is there a way to drag/drop a fleet into another fleet and keep it intact as a sub? Every time I try it just tosses them all in the main fleet.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #1112 on: January 13, 2021, 11:08:22 AM »
Is there a way to drag/drop a fleet into another fleet and keep it intact as a sub?
No.

The following users thanked this post: Kylemmie

Offline Kylemmie

• K
« Reply #1113 on: January 13, 2021, 11:21:14 AM »
Fuzzy Memory wants me to think Plasma Carronade Tech has some effect on Ground Unit Racial Weapon Strength...Is that correct?

Forum Search led to me to a bunch of fun AAR's, but I didn't see anything on the actual mechanics.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1114 on: January 13, 2021, 11:23:03 AM »
Fuzzy Memory wants me to think Plasma Carronade Tech has some effect on Ground Unit Racial Weapon Strength...Is that correct?

Forum Search led to me to a bunch of fun AAR's, but I didn't see anything on the actual mechanics.

Yes it does. Ground attack values are based on the highest energy weapon tech.

Offline Kylemmie

• K
« Reply #1115 on: January 13, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »

Okay, so not just carronades, but any Beam weapon - Thank you!

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1116 on: January 13, 2021, 01:14:28 PM »

Even gauss?

Offline Kylemmie

• K
« Reply #1117 on: January 13, 2021, 01:21:33 PM »
Thought I was being brilliant and created a Maintenance Station w/a magazine for resupply and maintenance at a critical crossroads JP. Tagged as supply ship and collier.

I can't seem to figure out how to transfer missiles from a (mobile) collier to the Maint Base.  Think I've tried all the transfer, load + the joins and load etc. Did I miss one?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1118 on: January 13, 2021, 01:29:35 PM »
Thought I was being brilliant and created a Maintenance Station w/a magazine for resupply and maintenance at a critical crossroads JP. Tagged as supply ship and collier.

I can't seem to figure out how to transfer missiles from a (mobile) collier to the Maint Base.  Think I've tried all the transfer, load + the joins and load etc. Did I miss one?

Make sure your collier has an ordnance transfer module.

If so, check that when it joins a fleet, the collier has selected to transfer ordnance to fleet in the appropriate dropdown. This may not be set by default.

Offline Kylemmie

• K
« Reply #1119 on: January 13, 2021, 01:57:08 PM »

Make sure your collier has an ordnance transfer module.

If so, check that when it joins a fleet, the collier has selected to transfer ordnance to fleet in the appropriate dropdown. This may not be set by default.

Thanks! It helps a lot to know that it should be working and is oper error. I'll double check the Ord Transfer is on both. Didn't think about there being a setting like on tankers tho stopping the 'join and loads' from working. Can't recall exactly atm, but isn't there a similar 'load from stationary fleet' like with fuel that shouldn't require the joining and setting of that dropdown?    It will be easier to go back and test everything out now knowing it can work tho - Thank you!

Offline dersavage

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #1120 on: January 13, 2021, 02:28:02 PM »
In Shipyard there is Refit Task Type. This can refit ship +/- 20% size. But there's also AUTOREFIT Task. How does it work and what's the benefit of using it. So far I havent figured out how it works.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1121 on: January 13, 2021, 02:31:21 PM »
In Shipyard there is Refit Task Type. This can refit ship +/- 20% size. But there's also AUTOREFIT Task. How does it work and what's the benefit of using it. So far I havent figured out how it works.

Autorefit will refit ships to new template as long as there are ships of the original class in orbit.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #1122 on: January 13, 2021, 02:46:26 PM »
The chance of the commander getting killed is:

(HQ Rating of destroyed unit / HQ Rating of formation) * 25%

So multiple HQs do improve commander survival chance.

Sorry, but this formula means, quite the reverse, that multiple HQs do NOT improve commander survival chance, because total HQ hit chance isn't constant with multiplying HQs. Doubling HQ you instantly double a chance that some HQ will be hit, so it's twice better instant survival chance from twice worse chance of being hit. So no effect in overall commander survival chance.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1123 on: January 13, 2021, 02:47:01 PM »
I was playing with the passive sensors today while designing a new strategy for one of the race of my upcoming new game and so I have been building Deep Space Tracking Stations to then go around and deploy in my test game to also check logistic and so on.

Bottom line, I now have a Strength of 27,000 on the planet. Based on the current formula

Code: [Select]
Signature strength x Sensor strength x 1000 km
My detection against a 10 signature should look like this: 10 x 27,000 x 1,000 and equal to 270,000,000. The problem is that if I check Aurora flagging the 10 band I get 130,000,000 (displayed 130m) and also all the other signature at 1,000 and 10,000 are not matching.

I am sure I am missing something somehow, but what?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #1124 on: January 13, 2021, 02:52:54 PM »
I was playing with the passive sensors today while designing a new strategy for one of the race of my upcoming new game and so I have been building Deep Space Tracking Stations to then go around and deploy in my test game to also check logistic and so on.

Bottom line, I now have a Strength of 27,000 on the planet. Based on the current formula

Code: [Select]
Signature strength x Sensor strength x 1000 km
My detection against a 10 signature should look like this: 10 x 27,000 x 1,000 and equal to 270,000,000. The problem is that if I check Aurora flagging the 10 band I get 130,000,000 (displayed 130m) and also all the other signature at 1,000 and 10,000 are not matching.

I am sure I am missing something somehow, but what?
The formula is sqrt, not linear.

Detection Range = SQRT(Passive Sensor Strength * Target Signature ) * 250,000 km

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg103085#msg103085

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982