Author Topic: Jump Drive requirements  (Read 2949 times)

Offline TheRowan (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
Jump Drive requirements
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:09:25 PM »
Has there been a change to the Jump Drive requirements in C#? I have a Military ship with Civilian Engines and a Military Jump drive - but when I tell it to jump, it says "cannot carry out a transit as there is no available jump drive capable of allowing the fleet's commercial-engined ships to enter the jump point". I was under the impression that Military jump drives could be used for any ship, but Civilian jump drives were limited to civilian ships?

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
Re: Jump Drive requirements
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 01:17:52 PM »
I think you will need a civ jump drive for it.

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 01:18:24 PM »
Jump engines only care about the engines of the ship, nothing else.
si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline TheRowan (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 01:28:38 PM »
I could have sworn it used to be that Military Jump Drives would work for either Civ or Mil engined ships... ah well, a bit of SM mode to fix that :P

Offline kks

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 01:37:22 PM »
Yes, it has changed for C#. However a jumpdrive can now also jump other ships larger than the mass of the ship. So a jumptender(station) does not need any filler components anymore.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 03:22:49 PM »
Has there been a change to the Jump Drive requirements in C#?

Yes there has.

I could have sworn it used to be that Military Jump Drives would work for either Civ or Mil engined ships...

Yes, they did (in VB Aurora).  Unfortunately Steve forgot that part when coding C# Aurora so for now military jump drives can only jump military-engined ships. 

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 04:52:40 PM »
Yes, they did (in VB Aurora).  Unfortunately Steve forgot that part when coding C# Aurora so for now military jump drives can only jump military-engined ships.

Appears to be a deliberate change, from his post about it - not something he forgot.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg97750#msg97750

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 05:07:32 PM »

Appears to be a deliberate change, from his post about it - not something he forgot.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg97750#msg97750
Could be certainly, but I'm not sure what in that post says that making civilian-engined ships require a civilian jump drive is a deliberate change. The wording suggests that that was already the case, though it might be eliding an assumption that the civilian-engined ships are too big for the military jump ship to handle.

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 10:32:38 AM »
Read his post again.

"In C# Aurora, commercial-engined and military-engined ships are treated separately. So if you have a fleet with mixed engine types that also includes ships with commercial and military jump drives, it will still carry out a standard transit if the respective jump drives are large enough for the ships with the matching respective engine types. However, if any ship with either engine type can't jump, the whole fleet will fail to transit."

This clearly indicates the intention to require civilian jump drives for civilian engines, and milspec jump drives for milspec engines.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 11:02:03 AM »
Read his post again.

"In C# Aurora, commercial-engined and military-engined ships are treated separately. So if you have a fleet with mixed engine types that also includes ships with commercial and military jump drives, it will still carry out a standard transit if the respective jump drives are large enough for the ships with the matching respective engine types. However, if any ship with either engine type can't jump, the whole fleet will fail to transit."

This clearly indicates the intention to require civilian jump drives for civilian engines, and milspec jump drives for milspec engines.
Yes, the current behavior isn't accidental. That's not the same as saying that the change in behavior is definitely intentional.