Author Topic: Apprentices and Mining complexes  (Read 1418 times)

Offline NoonStar (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
Apprentices and Mining complexes
« on: March 27, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »
Had two thoughts today.
1] It would be nice if I could do more with my successful Scientists, gov's, and generals. The ones that get 40+ percent and I feel all good and sparkely about. It would be kind of cool if I could set them to 'teach' another scientist, there by increasing the secondary scientist's ability slightly. [maybe 1 percent every 5 points in the primary scientist's spot.] I suppose that while the more gifted scientist is teaching, he can't research. Or does so at a slow'd rate. Anyway, I thought about it today.

2] I noticed that for all my civie mining complexes, I get paid the same. 125 per complex. No matter if its for 10k Gallicite or 200k. Unless I'm reading it wrong. Perhaps it could be edited to recieve a price using a formula based off of civilian economy, ease of access, and volume of supply. [Perhaps even more in depth  based on demand [using your total empire stock piles as a reference, to see what your empire has lots of and what is in short supply].

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
Re: Apprentices and Mining complexes
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:15:40 AM »
I would actually like to see civilian mining complexes charge by the ton, rather than by the complex.  Just so that an asteroid with three minerals of low accessibility costs/produces less money than an asteroid with eight minerals at high accessibility. That would be really nice.

More complex supply/demand and contextual valuation of the various minerals is something that I like the idea of but will probably require a more significant economy rewrite than just CMCs. Nice plan, though.

Offline SakSak

• Leading Rate
  • S
Re: Apprentices and Mining complexes
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:53:23 AM »
I actually think the trading system, as it stands, is pretty good.  Money is generated per trade good, which is a fixed tonnage (if memory serves).  So changing civilian mine production to alse be based on tonnage would be a nice change.  It does make more sense too.

Or perhaps even a symbiosis of both.  Each civilian complex produces a base of 30-50 weath (representing income tax on wages, increasing use of taxed supplies in the empire, possible mining rights etc), with a produced tonnage based formula added on top of that so that a good mine produces perhaps 150 weath total, and a poor mine 100 wealth total.

This way, the algorithm for generating civilian complexes need not be changed to retain balance.  Even several poorly producing complexes would not ruin a game, while several good complexes would not be a game-breaking boost to economy.

Also, at the same time, cost of purchasing the minerals from that mine could easily be changed to match the new formula.  Keep it at double the wealth production of the mine and it all balances out.

Of course, this would require some changes to the civilian tab of the Production window, as it would need to display the calculated wealth production instead of the fixed text.