Author Topic: Sol barely had any minerals, should i reroll?  (Read 823 times)

ragcan

Sol barely had any minerals, should i reroll?
« on: May 19, 2023, 09:03:01 PM »
i just finished surveying most of the solar system and report shows that it is absolutely empty of minerals.  Only Mercury and Venus had any significant deposits.  There's not even a single drip of Sorium on any of the gas giants.  The rest of the deposits are scarcely spread on meteors and asteroids.  Should i just re-roll the minerals or just push on and focus on getting out of the system?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Sol barely had any minerals, should i reroll?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 09:54:54 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forums. Please register your account so that we do not have to manually approve each post you make.

You can use SpaceMaster Mode in the System Information Window and then click on each major body to reroll the minerals. Or you can manually throw some minerals around. I usually do that if Sol is very sparse since I always play Conventional starts so immediately expanding out of Sol for minerals is not really possible. The downside of this is that you lose little bit of the magic of discovery, so if you have not invested a lot of time in setting up your civilization so far, then you could also just start a new game.

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 04:00:41 AM »
I always tend to leave Sol in the first year (apart from conventional starts), so a lack of minerals in Sol just adds extra impetus to the exploration effort. It can be a fun challenge to establish an extra-solar mining capability early in the game - keep on eye on your Earth deposits though and don't overbuild.

Alternatively there is the 'Regen Min' button on the System View window (F9), which appears in SM mode. That will reroll all minerals deposits in the system, apart from those bodies that already have colonies (unless I only added that in the unreleased v2.2).

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 05:53:53 AM »
Nah, keep rolling with it. I intentionally play resource-starved starts so there is an actual reason to expand. Making conscious decisions where to spend your Gallicite and whether to expand Neutronium or Corundium mining and designing around your constraints is a lot of fun.

Also remember that it's not a competetive game where you need to worry about relative advantages or disadvantages.