Poll

What kind of 'gamer' are you ?

I'm a casual gamer , aurora is an exception
5 (8.9%)
I often play complexes game
39 (69.6%)
I rarely play casual game
5 (8.9%)
Aurora Is my religion , Buuurn you pagan!
7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: ...Because Sharing Never Hurted Anyone !  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • G
...Because Sharing Never Hurted Anyone !
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:36:53 PM »
I think every freaks ( ;D) that plays this great game (aurora)
must have very specific tastes in term of games . ;D
 The goal of this topic is to share others (eventually) niche games that  aren't , but deserve to be known. (or better known)

Spaceship simulators :
*Pionneer (updated every month :) !) : An elite 2 Remake http://pioneerspacesim.net/

*'Infinity : quest for earth '(must be followed !) : a future supertitanesc space simulation.

*Orbiter : A super realistic space simulation (apolo, shuttle ect ... and near futur)

4x :

*Space empire 5
*Omega-number!?- : A forgotten project similar to aurora. the idea was good but the project ended.
(i know many other 4x but i guess they are already well known)

strategie :
All the europa universalis, hearth of iron (very good) , crusader king 2 (the new (very very good))

others :

Dwarf fortress : LOL , surprised ?

Arma 2 : A very realistic soldier/commander simulation, soooo diferent than the usual crap (Battlefield, CoD ect...) this is the only "FPS" i play.

Myst : Puzzle and enigma.

brytenwalda mod for mount and blade warband

modded medieval total war 2 , Skyrim and civilization 4.

Minecraft : A game with a huge potential

......And .... I can't remember of others for now .
Have Fun !

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
Re: ...Because Sharing Never Hurted Anyone !
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »
Gratuitous Space Battles: because sometimes you want to skip straight to epic ship battles filled with deadly picturesque explosions.

Oberin: The only MMORPG I've ever played where the game masters will occasional put together unique massive server-vs-them quests whose out come, at the least, will usually become part of or advance the official game history/lore. Heavy PvE.

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• G
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:58:39 PM »
Thanks Sublight ,

Oh i forgot one that i've played a lot : 'dangerous water': this is mostly a submarine simulation , but it simulate boat , airplane and helicopter too. I warn you this is super complexe (1000X more complexe than silent hunter) but the battle look so much like in aurora .
This is purely a crazy game you need to manage EVERYTHING in a submarine .

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• G
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 11:14:59 PM »
post scriptum about dangerous water :
This part of the tutorial make a good overview of the game itself.
If i insist about this game, its because in some ways it has aurora's spirit :)

feature=topics

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 06:59:53 AM »
The reason Dangerous Waters was so detailed was that Sonalyst is not a gaming house. It is a government contractor whose primary work was and still is US Navy submarine sonar analysis, software, trainers and sonar improvement. Many of the employees are retired and ex US Navy submarine personnel who had a lot of input for this particular piece of software.

Offline Ektoras

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:17:30 AM »
Civilization was my favourite one till I found Heart of Iron 2.   Then it becomes my favourite game, at least till i found Aurora.   Now I can’t choose which the best is.   I also play an online browser game based on HoMM series. 

I had great fun with Battlefield 2, I wonder how fun is Arma 2 with its realism. 

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• G
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:25:32 AM »

The reason Dangerous Waters was so detailed was that Sonalyst is not a gaming house. It is a government contractor whose primary work was and still is US Navy submarine sonar analysis, software, trainers and sonar improvement. Many of the employees are retired and ex US Navy submarine personnel who had a lot of input for this particular piece of software.
Yes , i've heard of that too :)
I wonder if anyone still makes multiplayer game of Dangerous Water, might be a lot of fun !

Civilization 4 is a great game when you add mods :) , In fact one of the official expansion was just a pack of the greatest fan-mods. Firaxis put a dozen of buttons, added a new menu and a few music and that's it !  ;D

I've played Hearth of iron 3 and enjoyed it, now i'm more focused on Crusader kings 2 : this one is very good, if you liked HoI You will enjoy Crusader kings 2 too.

Arma 2 : Realism isn't a problem. when you begin yes! because you won't understand why you have been killed by a guy 500 meter away, by one bullet, without hearing or seeing anything. You won't understand why you have walked 7 km in a forest and why this isn't the good place you were looking for ^^Why you don't have a shiny marker or a 10 meter wide map that lead to your objectif , why the "bad guy" aren't marked in red and why the "good guy" aren't green ect ... ;D ^^ But arma 2 is one of my favorite game and without any doubt the best FPS/war simulator ever made, and the fun begin when we understand this isn't quake 3 gameplay. ;)
Tales of Maj'Eyal 4 (or T-engine) : Tome 4 is a big Rpg developed on a engine that lets everyone make their own rpg if they want to, in the fashion of Rpg-maker.

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »
Sharing hurts when you get a STD ;D

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• G
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »

Arcticle-69 :

The Author of this topic Declines all responsability For any case of STD while posting a message.  8)

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 08:37:55 PM »
Hearts of Iron III (I was a beta), Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis III, Dwarf Fortress, Chess (a former semi-pro).

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• G
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 09:10:58 PM »
Wow Hearth of iron 3 on beta ! ;D 

I remember while playing an early version of Hoi3 I had invaded all italia as switzerland with only 1 regiment and without having a single fight because itilia didnt care about moving theirs troops from the french frontline. After a few month the same unstopable and heroic regiment was planning to invade all europe ! At the same time UK landed some troop north of berlin and had just conquered a territory twice the england size. So i stopped this stupid game and waited for patchs and now this is real fun. (and switzerland is more "Balanced"  ;D )

Online Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:12 PM »
Hearts of Iron III (I was a beta)
Hearts of Iron II (I was a beta)  8)

Nah, 3 is better than 2 in pretty much all ways so I strictly play it nowadays. Well, used to until my laptop blew up. No gaming for me now :(

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 02:25:34 PM »
I liked to play hearts of iron 3 as like, brazil- but the game would always fall apart as ww2 got going.  I didn't care about realism issues, but performance was so bad I shelved it.

Have the patches and expansions made it sufficiently playable?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 04:13:12 PM »
I liked to play hearts of iron 3 as like, brazil- but the game would always fall apart as ww2 got going.  I didn't care about realism issues, but performance was so bad I shelved it.

I'd also like to know the answer to this.  The comments on this forum when HoI III was released put me off buying it.
Welchbloke

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »

Yes. The most recent expansion "For the Motherland" (which requires both HOI-3 and Semper Fi to play) has added multi-core support to the game, as well as a host of other improvements. It now runs far faster than before.