Author Topic: Quick Questions Thread  (Read 38198 times)

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Simple questions by me
« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2020, 04:56:37 AM »
It's maybe not the most rapid way. But this works if nothing else: Clicking on a body in Main window, All Bodies tab centers the map. Asteroids and Comets are listed alphabetically,

Additionally, if you want to create a colony on a specific body (since you can't create a colony from the tactical map yet), you can find the body that way, check the Body Info tab to see its colony cost, and then find it in the System View. Asteroids there are sorted by colony cost. I have found that to be the easiest way to set up sensor bases on asteroids without minerals.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit, Second Foundationer

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
« Reply #376 on: May 16, 2020, 10:57:20 PM »
Any simple way how to do 2-3+ systems transport without millions of clicks? Cycle does not work, since it must be in-system and the VB repeat order buttons are gone  :'(

Plus, is it a normal behaviour that a promoted captain of a ship gets removed from command, even though he still can command that ship after that? Dealing with all the promotions of subofficers and super-early retirements plus health problems is enough hassle, I toggled auto assignment because manual is too much work now.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #377 on: May 16, 2020, 11:27:32 PM »
Any simple way how to do 2-3+ systems transport without millions of clicks? Cycle does not work, since it must be in-system and the VB repeat order buttons are gone  :'(

Cycle works fine.

Order templates are also very useful.

As is the Autoroute by System option.

The following users thanked this post: Ri0Rdian

Offline Ri0Rdian

« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2020, 10:02:48 AM »

Cycle works fine.

Order templates are also very useful.

As is the Autoroute by System option.

Well, first I thought this was BS, because of the message I got (see attachment). But after reading through it again, I tried it and it does indeed work, just the message could be more explicit in stating that you need to alter the order for it to work, not that it won't work at all (which was my original feeling from the message).  ;D

So thank you for making me question you, then myself then reading it again.  ;)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #379 on: May 17, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »
. . .is it a normal behaviour that a promoted captain of a ship gets removed from command, even though he still can command that ship after that?

Yes, although the second part of your question is incorrect.  The captain is removed because he can no longer command the ship after promotion.  In C# Aurora command of a particular ship is a specific-rank job; it's not available to a range of ranks.

In other words, the job of "Captain of the Matron of the Mists" is for Majors only, not for Majors-and-above.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #380 on: May 17, 2020, 05:01:12 PM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=10649. msg133616#msg133616 date=1589749522
Quote from: Ri0Rdian link=topic=10649. msg133453#msg133453 date=1589687840
.  .  . is it a normal behaviour that a promoted captain of a ship gets removed from command, even though he still can command that ship after that?

Yes, although the second part of your question is incorrect.   The captain is removed because he can no longer command the ship after promotion.   In C# Aurora command of a particular ship is a specific-rank job; it's not available to a range of ranks.

In other words, the job of "Captain of the Matron of the Mists" is for Majors only, not for Majors-and-above.
This isn't true.  You can assign officers above the minimum rank to command a ship, I've had captains and majors running hulls that only required an R6.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #381 on: May 17, 2020, 06:17:21 PM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=10649. msg133616#msg133616 date=1589749522
Quote from: Ri0Rdian link=topic=10649. msg133453#msg133453 date=1589687840
.  .  . is it a normal behaviour that a promoted captain of a ship gets removed from command, even though he still can command that ship after that?

Yes, although the second part of your question is incorrect.   The captain is removed because he can no longer command the ship after promotion.   In C# Aurora command of a particular ship is a specific-rank job; it's not available to a range of ranks.

This isn't true.  You can assign officers above the minimum rank to command a ship, I've had captains and majors running hulls that only required an R6.

My answer was specific to the Automated Assignments system.  Manually, you can assign any officer of the right type to any post, though sometimes only by using an extra step or two of SM manipulation.

Offline Ri0Rdian

« Reply #382 on: May 17, 2020, 06:24:31 PM »
Not sure if you got it right.

I had manual assignment. I like it cause I feel much more personal connection to both Ships and their captains. But whenever an offier got promoted he was removed from command of that ship. After that I went back and could let him command it again. So I saw no purpose in this auto-remove,  no logic (other than RP). Just more work, and I had enough of that looking around through that bajillion of health and retirement messages, whether one of them concerns someone I care about (because he is assigned somewhere).
It was a bit similar to Science officer, which gets removed once promoted, but that is ok, since that position is for lowest rank and lowest rank only (while in other cases my captain promotee could return to his former position). Serves good to train future captains too. Adds to the micro, which is one of the things this game has in abundance and I do not like that much.  8)

Btw, is there a way to do something about the Anomaly: Alien Installation (% research bonus) now with engineers or is that one of the things that are upcoming in the next patch? Got a whole lot of obscure things mixed with VB, C and now those bigger patches.  ;D

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #383 on: May 17, 2020, 07:07:23 PM »
Not sure if you got it right.

I had manual assignment. . .

Weird that they're getting removed in that case.  It's almost certainly a bug.

Btw, is there a way to do something about the Anomaly: Alien Installation (% research bonus) now with engineers or is that one of the things that are upcoming in the next patch? Got a whole lot of obscure things mixed with VB, C and now those bigger patches.  ;D

Build a Research Facility at the colony and reap the sweet, sweet Research Point benefits.  The rest of it (universal research boost, dark rifts, invader ships) is only in v1.10+ so not quite available yet (and when it is available in a week or two, it will require a new database so you'll lose the game and the anomaly).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:28:08 PM by Father Tim »

The following users thanked this post: Ri0Rdian

Offline Ri0Rdian

« Reply #384 on: May 17, 2020, 07:33:27 PM »
Yeah, I was almost certain it is the new stuff, so whelp I guess   ;D

Edit:
Ok, so this is kinda stupid now. I have checked after some time, and there is stuff without a commander. Had to manually assign a CO about 9 times, half of those to Admin commands. I have hundreds of officers free. The Auto assignment WILL NOT ASSIGN to a post even if I can, most likely because the rank is higher than the one it is intended for (same reason why I asked/complained earlier). There are few officers with the right rank and no job, plus they have the right skill, but also other skill/s that are of a better rank so I assume the system does not want them wasted (like 20% log and 25% mining so they were NOT assigned to a freighter) and thus does not post them there. Kinda bummer.

If it makes me mad enough I might try booting vanilla Aurora and checking if it is truly a bug (probably not a bug but rather oversight/design decision), since I use AuroraMod. Though it might need some creativity that might be hard to do in order to simulate those situations.

Edit2:

Actually, I have a free position of Commodore for Geosurvey section. Even a free Commodore with 30% Survey and everything else at 25% or less. The Auto assignment still hadn't posted him there for some reason. The only thing stopping that might be 50 training he has, but I do not value 50 training higher than 30% survey AT ALL, I hope the game doesn't either (or it does because it uses simple number comparison to get result and Training is the one that is different to the rest of skills).

??? ???
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 09:59:35 PM by Ri0Rdian »

Offline firsal

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • f
« Reply #385 on: May 18, 2020, 04:14:22 AM »
Do combat information centres have an in-game effect now? Last I read, their tactical bonus was still TBD - is this still the case in 1.9.5?

Online vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #386 on: May 18, 2020, 10:20:59 AM »
Is there a table of the population size compared to thermal and EM output?

Also what is the equivalence between cross section and mass or length? I believe I once knew that when playing A-VB6 but my memory fails me ...

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #387 on: May 18, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »
A few more from me,

1. What is the annual MSP cost of a ship which stayed in orbit of a colony with adequate facilities?

2. What is the MSP cost during overhauls?

3. And in the wealth tab is that total MSP expenditure on ships accurate?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #388 on: May 18, 2020, 11:56:05 AM »
Is it possible to make ground support satelite? Basicaly ground support fighter without engines. They would be of course more vulnerable to AA and PDO weapons. But is the engine necessary for it tu function?

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #389 on: May 18, 2020, 12:12:16 PM »
Is it possible to make ground support satelite? Basicaly ground support fighter without engines. They would be of course more vulnerable to AA and PDO weapons. But is the engine necessary for it tu function?

Yes.

And if you think about it 1km/s is pretty fast speed on a planet.

The following users thanked this post: Black