Author Topic: Font size  (Read 3312 times)

Offline glawen (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • g
Font size
« on: September 25, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
Hi,

I've just downloaded Aurora, and as i'm a fan of 4X games and a fan of complex games (2 years playing DF), i look forward to play this one.
I have a small problem though : when i start the game, the non resizable windows at the beginning include some text which is barely readable or not readable at all; it looks as if the font size were too big.

I use Windows 7 (32 bits)
My screen resolution is 1900x1200 and my font size is 100% (the normal and smallest possible setting)

Is there any way to change that, it's quite annoying.

I've joined screenshot to illustrate the problem

TIA

Offline Paladin

• Petty Officer
Re: Font size
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:38:33 PM »
What are your regional settings? And i believe your font is slightly different than mine. . .  Im not certain, but it seems like mine is more slim.
Paladin

Offline Paladin

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
actually, judging my your minimize/ maximize/close buttons, you have windows classic on or the fancy Aero turned off, perhaps both.  Also, cleartype should be on

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:16:16 PM »
I started having the same issue when I got my newest laptop about 3 weeks ago. Same situation, 1900x1200 resolution.

Things I have noticed, if you change your font size from 100% to 125% more of the text fits properly but a lot of text still does not fit. Problem with that is you have to log out and back in any time you change the text size. I am running my UI in the default settings the come out of the box with Windows 7. My previous laptop was also Windows 7 but did not have this issue. It was also not able to do more than 1280x1024.

I have been trying to figure out if there is a different font being used but it appears that the same default font is used everywhere unless Steve sets it to use a different font in Aurora. Also, I found that there is a bug in WinForms where the font resizing does not always propogate down to all controls when it is not manually set on each control.

Offline glawen (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • g
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:29:44 AM »
I've got indeed windows classic turned on and aero turned off, but when i change it, nothing happens, and cleartype is on. 

The font size seems to be the 125% size one.  When i turn the general font size to 125 % and i relog, the text and windows for Aurora appear completely, everything works as intended, but if i switch the general size back to 100%, the font size seems to be stuck at 125%.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Aurora, but it didn't work, it's as if it would take 125% font size as its default font size, whatever the context.   ???

The funny thing is, the 125% size font seems to be stuck in most of the menus and windows, but not on the main menu, there, it correctly switches between 125% and 100% size whenever i change the general Windows parameter and relog.

I joined relevant screenshots

Offline Vandersleld

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • V
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 12:57:52 PM »
I've had the same problem since I put Aurora on my new laptop.  My native resolution is 1920x1080, and changing it doesn't affect the size or alignment of the text in Aurora's menus.  Changing the font size from 100% to 125% does make everything appear normally, but it makes everything bigger and thus prevents the full-size windows from completely fitting on my screen.  I've been playing for long enough that I know what the buttons with cropped-off labels do, but a solution would be really helpful.  Thanks!

Offline glawen (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • g
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 06:23:12 AM »
So,

Any fix for this ?

TIA

Offline rdgam

• Chief Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »
This is a windows 7 issue.
I finally found the answer at: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2009/11/25/windows-7-bitmap-fonts-and-microsoft-dynamics-gp.aspx?CommentPosted=true

Basically you have to edit the registry and reboot.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
"MS Sans Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24"="SSERIFE.FON"
"MS Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24"="SERIFE.FON"
"Courier 10,12,15"="COURE.FON"