Author Topic: Military ship  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Varee (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
Military ship
« on: April 15, 2013, 09:01:47 PM »
Hi everyone i got a question.
I have been playing for about 2-3 year in game and i dont see any hostile or anything so should i start to worry about military ship? Will there be like pirate or rogue in sol? Or i can wiat to build army till i find something?
I have been teching up just incase but all my shipyard is still set to tranny ship and astro miner.  I got a few missle boat flying around but they are quite low tech and small.  Also can you like create some hostile for target practice or something i want to see how combat work

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Military ship
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:42:48 AM »
1.  By the time you leave your home system you will want some military.  Two reasons for this.  Ships take a while to build, and getting the crews trained up takes quite a while as well. 

2.)  If you want to do something like a simulator battle where you have an enemy to fight just to see how things go you can do it.  First save your database before starting the game.  Next turn on sm powers, then pick a planet/moon with some atmosphere.  One of jovian moons with some methane works.  In the F9 screen bottom right there is a button for "create empire"  use this to create another empire in system.  If you want to control everything it does you can, or you can let it be a npr under computer controll.  From there things will start happening pretty quickly.  When you are done with the simulation you can delete that game and restore the previous save.

A second alternative to doing the whole save and restore is to just create a game like this for test purposes.

Brian

Offline Varee (OP)

• V
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 05:34:27 AM »
Thanks for the reply, i got one more question.  Crew training is on the crew and you can scrap ship to return crew to crew pool right? So can you make a ship that hold lot of crew and set it to trian to get better crew or should you not waste the crew form acedamy?

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:25:44 AM »
Crew training is one thing (the grade bonus for the ship) and that comes out of the crew pool, but Task Force Training is another and AFAIK just takes time with a training task force.
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »
You can set up "training ships" by setting them as conscript only and then assigning an officer with a high crew training rating and waiting for the crew rating to increase. Note that this requires the ship to have components that require large numbers of crew as you can't specify arbitrary crew numbers.

Also note that this doesn't give you "better" crews. When the ship is scrapped, the crew rating of the ship is compared to that of a crew at the current racial training level(this can be set on the race details screen) and a number of crew are added to the general pool in the same ratio.

Overall usually doing this is inferior to simply spending the same amount of resources building additional military academies.

If you want your ships to start with better trained crews, just change the racial training level on the race details screen. This will automatically change the number of available crew to match, ie higher skill means less crew available.

Offline Varee (OP)

• V
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
Oh ok so i better make more academy to not waste ton of fuel.  Got it , enjoying this game so much even ipafter 3day i played over 10 hrs

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
Oh ok so i better make more academy to not waste ton of fuel.  Got it , enjoying this game so much even ipafter 3day i played over 10 hrs

Training academies just increase the number of officers available. What you need for crew training is a ship that you send out on training exercises. Look on the F12 screen, second tab, lower left.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 01:15:09 PM »
I think there is a little bit of a mix up there. To clarify.

Military Academies increase both the number of officers(5 per year per academy) and crew(1000 per year per academy at racial training level 1) available. You can also increase the number of crew by assigning an officer with high training bonus to a ship, leaving it for a while to allow the crew rating to increase and then scrapping the ship, adding a potentially larger number of crew than was used when initially building the ship dependant on the ships crew rating and racial training levels. This does not require any special actions by the ship, just time, and it does not consume fuel. However it is normally far better to spend the equivalent amount of resources building Military Academies instead.

Task force training rating, which does require sending a ship on special training exercises which consume fuel as they move around, is a separate value that effects how fast the crew will respond to orders. This has no effect on the number of crew that will be returned to the pool if the ship is scrapped.