Author Topic: Purpose of Surplus Modules?  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Somnus (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
Purpose of Surplus Modules?
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:06:31 AM »
Why would I want to create surplus modules? When I create a ship, it creates new modules for it, correct? For instance, why would I want surplus asteroid mining modules?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:35:06 PM by Somnus »

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: Purpose of Surplus Modules?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:08:36 AM »
It shortens building time, as production built modules are automatically used in shipyard construction.

This is particularly useful when you know what components a ship is going to use before it is designed or before a shipyard is tooled for it.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:09:23 AM »
Does this work for refit too?

Offline Nibelung44

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 03:28:05 AM »
Definitively, you can change the engine of freighters (something like 65% of the total cost for me) in one month...

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »
It's also a good way to integrate alien technologies into designs :)

Offline Somnus (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 09:28:05 PM »
Ah! I see! I suppose that does make sense!

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:07:51 AM »
It does not; however, work for fighters.  My Pinnaces use a particular sensor module and after scrapping the first batch of pinnaces when I went to build the next generation they did not make use of the existing stockpile of sensors.  I'm not sure about other systems for fighters but they don't look for the sensors.

Offline Wolfius

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 06:03:57 AM »
It's also a good way to integrate alien technologies into designs :)

Indeed. Especially if you're playing a scenario with self-imposed limits, like a ruin-heavy game I've been playing recently where I didn't allow myself to build jump engines or the like, instead depending entirly on a supply of jump engines and jumpgate construction modules recovered from ruins.

It does not; however, work for fighters.  My Pinnaces use a particular sensor module and after scrapping the first batch of pinnaces when I went to build the next generation they did not make use of the existing stockpile of sensors.  I'm not sure about other systems for fighters but they don't look for the sensors.

Funny, it worked for the grav sensors of my early survey fighter in the above game - at the time I didn't even have the ability to build them, which might have been a factor.

Sure you stockpiled the right sensor?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:21:35 AM »
All of my pinnaces use the same sensor.  But the stockpile keeps growing even though I have built new pinnaces so I can only assume that it does not look for such systems.

In the past stockpiles of prebuilt systems have been used for ship construction but the C1 pinnaces did not re-use the sensor system salvaged from the scrapped B2's.