Author Topic: Nemesis Campaign - Comments  (Read 29468 times)

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Nemesis Campaign - Comments
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »
Man, these latest episodes are awesome! I think getting to see the ground combat elements is great and seeing everyone finally realize the danger and cooperate, even if it's just for a little while, gives some hope for humanity.

--Mav

Offline procyon (OP)

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2011, 02:21:31 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.  I definitely appreciate it.

Now for the bad news.

My evil overlord (ie. the hospital) has shut down all of the USB ports on the computers.  I haven't found a single station I can get my next posts to load from.  I will still be able to post from my mother's computer when I go to visit her, but that is not all that often.  Less so when school starts up.

A few stations still have 3.5" disk drives on them.  Hopefully they haven't disabled all of those too.  If I can dig up a disk I may be able to post that way.  I will try to find out this weekend one way or another.
... and I will show you fear in a handful of dust ...

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.  I definitely appreciate it.

Now for the bad news.

My evil overlord (ie. the hospital) has shut down all of the USB ports on the computers.  I haven't found a single station I can get my next posts to load from.  I will still be able to post from my mother's computer when I go to visit her, but that is not all that often.  Less so when school starts up.

A few stations still have 3.5" disk drives on them.  Hopefully they haven't disabled all of those too.  If I can dig up a disk I may be able to post that way.  I will try to find out this weekend one way or another.

Is there anything that we can help you with (short of signing a petition to your workplace that is....  ;D)???

Later,
Matt

Offline procyon (OP)

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2011, 12:53:12 AM »
Doubtful.

Two of the nurses up here are married to IS fellas, and the word from them is that the new owners plan to completely cut off the computers from the internet.   >:(

The docs aren't very happy as this will make it difficult for them to pull up information on conditions/diagnosis/etc.  Unfortunately the new owners don't seem all that concerned.

But thank you for asking.
My mother actually sees it as a blessing as I now try to visit at least once a week..... ;)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2011, 07:44:19 AM »
Doubtful.

Two of the nurses up here are married to IS fellas, and the word from them is that the new owners plan to completely cut off the computers from the internet.   >:(

The docs aren't very happy as this will make it difficult for them to pull up information on conditions/diagnosis/etc.  Unfortunately the new owners don't seem all that concerned.

But thank you for asking.
My mother actually sees it as a blessing as I now try to visit at least once a week..... ;)

Interesting, that's counter to the mandates for medical record handling.  My wife is IT for HCA and is going through the ever increasing hassle of trying too be compliant.  But then again her environment of a couple dozen facilities verses yours is probably very different on the compliance requirements.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2011, 08:44:32 PM »
Hi Procyon,

Just like to say it been a wonderful read, I had not check out the fiction that was in starfire, but I glad I have. Its a great story your written and your family sounds a little like mine. Devious <smile>

Starfire sounds like a great family game, I got one question. How did you introduce your wife to it, was she always into these style of games or was it a slow process. Just curious cause later as my kids get older it would be great to introduce the kids to a good old fashion games night. (without the puters) <smile>

Offline procyon (OP)

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2011, 02:43:55 AM »
Hi Procyon,

Just like to say it been a wonderful read, I had not check out the fiction that was in starfire, but I glad I have. Its a great story your written and your family sounds a little like mine. Devious <smile>

Thank you.  I'm pleased that you like it.
Sorry about the slow turn around on the next post, but fall is busy on a farm.

Starfire sounds like a great family game, I got one question. How did you introduce your wife to it, was she always into these style of games or was it a slow process. Just curious cause later as my kids get older it would be great to introduce the kids to a good old fashion games night. (without the puters) <smile>

Really, I tried and failed early on.  She just wasn't into games like this.

But we have had family game night once a week for a long time.  With both my wife and I working as hospital nurses we have rather busy and inconsistent schedules.  With six kids there were also a lot of activities going on that we had to work in.  It was getting so that the family wasn't together as a group very often.  So we instituted family game night to make sure we all saw each other and interacted in a fun way (most of the time).

It was the oldest boy who was rumaging through some of my old games and found my old 'baggy' copies of Starfire.  He wanted to try it and asked me to help him.  After a few battles he was hooked.  When the other kids saw us playing, they wanted in.  In just a few days the kids were playing it amongst themselves.  I dug out my old 3rd Ed. of Starfire and started a small campaign for the oldest boy and girl to learn 3rd Ed on - and see if they would like it.  A few days later the middle boy joined them.  It hadn't made the family game night yet but they were both very interested.  After a short time they began pestering my wife to have a Starfire family game night once.  With three of the oldest kids pestering her she gave in.

Now the youngest members of the family got paired up with older folks for this night, as the two youngest (18m/o and 4y/o) weren't up to the game.  My wife is also very competitive.  She didn't enjoy the idea of the older kids and I knowing this game and her not having an idea of what was going on.  The 10 pages of rules in the 1st Ed set wasn't a huge problem so she read them and we played.  And then we played another battle.  And another.

A few days later she was digging at the 3rd Ed rules and wanted to know if I could work her into the campaign the older kids were playing.  That game was the beginning of our 'Empires' Campaign - now the 'New Empires' Campaign.

That was nearly six or seven years ago.  Now she likes playing this, along with several of the role playing games the kids have dug out.  We still play other games (cards, board games, dominos, etc.) but they have taken a back seat to Starfire and the RPG's.  It is wonderful to have a captive audience for the games as it were, and to see them working on them.  It is also painful when the oldest have moved off and left a void.  But such is the lot of a parent.  Our job is to make ourselves unnecessary.

Not sure if that is the answer you were looking for but my advice would be to start a family game night, whatever the game.  Get everyone in the habit of setting down together to spend some time with each other - even if it is just candy land, chutes and ladders, or go-fish.  Between my time in the Army and working in a hospital, I have seen the price of taking your family for granted.  If you hope to get a game like starfire up and running, get the kids interested first.  They will be the ones that will get mom to cave in and try it.  Then perhaps, with a little luck, she will get hooked also.

I wish you the best of luck.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:48:23 AM by procyon »

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2011, 08:39:02 PM »
It is also painful when the oldest have moved off and left a void.  But such is the lot of a parent.  Our job is to make ourselves unnecessary.

How very true.

It would be a great idea to have family game night, it be a while yet as they are still very young, but normally take me working on my wife 5 years till she starts coming around to my way of thinking anyway. Thanks for the advice, it looks like LUDO and snakes and ladders here we come.

Offline procyon (OP)

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2011, 04:29:34 AM »
Not that anyone will probably complain, but it looks like Feb 2205 is going to blow right past 20 posts.

I don't want to even think about how big March is going to get..... :o

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:43 AM »
nope, no complaints from the antipodes - keep 'em comming ;D
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »
No complaints from the celtic contingent either  ;)
Hopefully reading your fiction will galvanise me into some more writing of my own.  I have another 5 years of my campaign to post  :-\
Welchbloke

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »
Yes Welch I like your stuff, now get back to it.

I personally think each writer does feed of the other. Proycon has inspired me to do more Brightstar, I put Clan Benkei on hold for now thats a long term project.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2011, 08:43:39 AM »
Not that anyone will probably complain, but it looks like Feb 2205 is going to blow right past 20 posts.

Certainly not! The more the better.  ;D

IanD

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2011, 09:59:46 AM »
Agree with everyone above, keep ´em coming :)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2011, 05:20:27 AM »
suspension building....