Author Topic: Donations  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Donations
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:08:34 PM »
If anyone wishes to donate anything for Aurora, it turns out you can send donations via paypal to my email address, which is stevewalmsley at btinternet.com (change at to @). Until this week I hadn't realised it was that easy :)

Also, if you want to donate anything to Erik Luken for running these forums, you can do so using the Donate button on the forums

Steve

The following users thanked this post: Walrus

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
Re: Donations
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
No disrespect intended

Given the timing of this donation request, the first thing that popped in my head was:  Things did not go well at the poker table?/ things went really bad and trying to raise cash to get home. hmmm.   :)

Offline nichaey

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:54:11 PM »
Steve isn't so much asking for donations as expressing his willingness to accept them. Someone requested donation information in the middle of another thread, so Steve put it in a dedicated thread to avoid future confusion.

Also I might point out that more donations mean that Steve will, hopefully, spend less time playing poker and more time bettering Aurora.

Not that it isn't already better.

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
Yep.  Though of course there is then the unpleasant possibility of "I gave you money, fix this bug now/drop everything and look at my database/I demand this feature/etc" type behaviour.

Stephen

Offline nichaey

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 06:19:35 PM »
I think it's more along the lines of: "how much will it cost to get this feature"    :P

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:52:45 AM »
Hopefully people will keep in mind that Steve "voluntarily" offers this game to others for free and that any donations made by the players are also "voluntary".  Steve will always move in the direction he wants to with the game, but thankfully he is willing to put a lot of thought into our wants and desires.  Great job with the game Steve.  

Adam.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 11:31:56 PM »
Quote from: "Zed 6"
No disrespect intended

Given the timing of this donation request, the first thing that popped in my head was:  Things did not go well at the poker table?/ things went really bad and trying to raise cash to get home. hmmm.   :)
LOL. I have been to Vegas in May and June. Won in May and lost in June. That's the way it goes though. Poker is a long term game and short terms results may go down as well as up :)

The timing was because someone asked if they could donate and I managed to figure out a way for them to do it. Other people have asked in the past as well so I thought it would be easier just to post what I now know. I am not asking for donations but rather explaining how to do it for those who want to donate anyway.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 11:35:55 PM »
Quote from: "Shinanygnz"
Yep.  Though of course there is then the unpleasant possibility of "I gave you money, fix this bug now/drop everything and look at my database/I demand this feature/etc" type behaviour.
That is pretty much the primary reason I haven't tried to sell Aurora (or Starfire Assistant). At the moment it is a fun hobby and I don't have any real obligations. Once I start selling it, I have a responsibility to ensure it works well in all areas and an obligation to fix bugs fast and release updates. I am concerned that it wouldn't be as much fun in that case and I wouldn't have enough time to do it justice. Anything you can do if you want to is usually fun. Anything you have to do, usually isn't :)

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 02:15:16 PM »
ive send u some.

Ty for ur time and hard work for make me happy into a REAL Universe.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 10:06:43 AM »
Quote from: "waresky"
ive send u some.

Ty for ur time and hard work for make me happy into a REAL Universe.
No problem, and thanks for the donation! It is very much appreciated.

Steve

Offline Count Sessine

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 07:30:39 AM »
Done - it's a great game. Thank you!

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »
Quote from: "Count Sessine"
Done - it's a great game. Thank you!
Thanks! I appreciate it!

Steve

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 12:38:42 AM »
On the way. I have spent more time with Aurora than with three of most of my other games combined.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Libelnon

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 07:41:29 PM »
Hah, this just made me think of Tarn Adams (Toady One) over at Dwarf Fortress.  I think bay12 averages $4000 in donations a month.  Imagine if aurora could manage that. . .

I'd send a donation of my own straight away, if I could.  Unfortunately, I'm still a good 18 months away from a paypal account.  Damn age limits. . .