Author Topic: AI targeting  (Read 2281 times)

Offline AbuDhabi (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
AI targeting
« on: October 19, 2016, 08:06:50 AM »
How does the AI decide to target enemy vessels? The same way autofire works for the player? (How does the player's autofire work, anyway? Just "fire at the first one in the list"?)

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: AI targeting
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
The AI almost always targets the closest thing that it can see and target. Auto-fire is currently broken, so it doesn't really work.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline AbuDhabi (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 12:29:27 AM »
Then how am I able to shoot things? I never set targets, just assign fire controls some guns.

(Well, my approach to combat is somewhat magical here. I assign fire controls some guns, assign ECM to fire controls, assign point defense, click active on, click open fire, click raise shields, check "auto fire", etc, to make very sure things are going to be firing.)

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:03:22 AM »
Select a target with fire control, click open fire. Autofire is meant to automatically select targets and fire, but its a bit buggy and will randomly shuffle weapons around to different fire controls, messing up PD settings, making it so weapons cant fire, etc.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline AbuDhabi (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 07:49:06 AM »
It does appear to work well enough for me. It is when I *did* assign targets manually, I got errors.

Iranon

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 06:27:49 AM »
if the ship has a single fire control, it appears to work well enough.
I don't like how it overrides point defense settings though (sets it to "none". You can give it another setting without unticking autofire and it seems to work... until autofire engages a ship for the first time).

Offline AbuDhabi (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 07:57:52 AM »
That might be why my ships never engaged in Point Defense, heh. Everything went to CIWS.