Author Topic: NPR Behaviour  (Read 3374 times)

Offline laz (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
NPR Behaviour
« on: June 10, 2010, 06:48:49 AM »
Been playing a game thats gone on for 150 years. I have precursors turned off as I wanted to develop and fight other NPR empires.

I've met three NPR races. From reading the log files I know theres at least 3 more I've yet to encounter.

The two I've met are

1)The Saint Lo Commonwealth:

My first NPR contact
Initially they sent a few ships to Sol were we had first contact. They then sent a massive amount of ships to Earth, I thought they were about to go hostile and start bombarding the planet as it was early in the game and so my navy was pretty pathetic. They turned out to be friendly and eventually over the course of the game theve become allied with me. Their homeworld is 2 jumps from sol.

Over the last hundred years of game play they have expanded away from my homeworld and seem to recognise that I control Sol and the surrounding star systems. They haven't even built a jumpgate to the Teegarden system which is between their homeworld and mine. Is this them recognising the borders of my territory as my ally? They do have the odd ship in my space but not near any inhabited planet.

They have fought with two other NPR's one of which I have recently met but yet to establish contact with. I sent a ship with cloack technology to explore their space and map out their jump points and i stumbled across the home system of a NPR hostile to them recently as I found several wrecks in orbit around the star systems.

2) The Lesnovo Heirarchy

These were my second NPR contact. A survey ship showed up in one of my colony systems. despite diplomatic gestures they still consider me a hostile race. So eventually I decided to intercept and destroy the survey ship. I've yet to find out where they originated from as I have explored a vast number of star systems beyond that star system. The only other jump point is back to Sol. Can I eventually expect to have a fleet of theirs make a strike on my colony world which they would have detected?

3) Wolf#59 Aliens

I've only just made contact with this race. They appear to be in conflict with my allied NPR neighbour as their are multiple wrecks in my allies home system and their home system has several Commonwealth wreckws as well. How does an NPR respond to the ally of a race they percieve as hostile?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: NPR Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:04:22 AM »
NPR AI is a tricky one, Steve puts in stuff and tells us about it but then will also put in stuff for us to find out for ourselves!

I do not think that the AI takes into consideration the diplomatic rating between you and another AI, fairly sure that it is based off diplomacy, militancy and xeno ratings for the race and isn't weighted by other existing treaties.

What level of alliance do you have with the Commonwealth? Can you station some combat ships in their system to help defend it? Just be careful you have enough standings in order to use your active search sensors otherwise they will get mad at you.

You should build a JG network to the friendly Homeworld, that should trigger trade.

What version are you on and if the Stevefire.mdb file is not too large is there anyway you could share it out? I wouldn't mind having a look at a game that has 6 NPRs! It might even be a good example for Steve to use if he has the time to work on the AI ... which he probably doesn't atm :(

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:38:46 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
NPR AI is a tricky one, Steve puts in stuff and tells us about it but then will also put in stuff for us to find out for ourselves!

I do not think that the AI takes into consideration the diplomatic rating between you and another AI, fairly sure that it is based off diplomacy, militancy and xeno ratings for the race and isn't weighted by other existing treaties.

What level of alliance do you have with the Commonwealth? Can you station some combat ships in their system to help defend it? Just be careful you have enough standings in order to use your active search sensors otherwise they will get mad at you.

You should build a JG network to the friendly Homeworld, that should trigger trade.

What version are you on and if the Stevefire.mdb file is not too large is there anyway you could share it out? I wouldn't mind having a look at a game that has 6 NPRs! It might even be a good example for Steve to use if he has the time to work on the AI ... which he probably doesn't atm :(
This game sounds remarkably like mine, the key differences I can see are that I have only had nearly 7 years of game time yet there are Star Swarm, Precursors, Invaders and 4 NPRs in addition to my race (Celtic Empire).  I discovered the at start NPR within 3 jumps of home and they are trading with me (DR 327ish).  I have encountered one of the other NPRs and the third one appears to be in conflict with the at-start NPR (2 of their fleets pretty much annihilated each other recently).  I wonder how common these situations are?
Welchbloke

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 03:40:55 PM »
I think my current game is up to 20 years. One NPR, some swarms (i just killed one), one WH (no activity) and no precursors.

The NPR has surveyed about 30 systems and found a really good 0.1 cost planet. But, they don't have any JGCs and they have the FAC creation bug I've mentioned before - which seems to mean they are stuck in building loop.

I cheated and SM'd JGs from their homeworld to the 0.1 so hopefully they use it. Problem is, they arepretty sunk in terms of minerals.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 04:05:18 PM »
The 2 NPRs that are fighting are the 2 higher tech NPRs out there.  They both have JGC ships but seem to be killing each other's JGC's and survey ships at present.  The at-start NPR has built a truly impressive JG network all over galaxy.  At least 50% of my JP have JGs built by them.  In comparison I have only built maybe another 10% or so of JGs.  The at-start NPR has also encountered and been given a kicking by at least 2 groups of Precursors as well.
Welchbloke

Offline laz (OP)

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:06:21 PM »
game version is 5.14

The Stevemb file is 786 megs big. I'll upload it though it might take awhile. Might as well share it out as the game has been going on for 150+ years.

Will post a link once its uploaded

Offline Maximillian

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 08:50:43 PM »
Quote from: "laz"
game version is 5.14

The Stevemb file is 786 megs big. I'll upload it though it might take awhile. Might as well share it out as the game has been going on for 150+ years.

Will post a link once its uploaded

The 'compact database' button may be your friend in this case. :)

Max

Offline laz (OP)

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 04:56:34 AM »
When I tried to compact the database I got

Error 429
Unable to find Activex component

Error 3420
in update gamelog
generated by DAO database
object invalid or no longer set

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 03:30:09 PM »
Winrar, 7-zip or any other free available compress-program should work just fine.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline laz (OP)

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 03:51:55 PM »

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »
I am putting this in spoilers because I am not sure you know this about your own game ... and also about some of the things Steve has added recently.

[spoiler:pm8vt2bl]There are 23 races listed in your game, of those one is your race, another is the invader, another is precursor and another is star swarm.

That leaves 19 NPRs .....

I haven't checked them all, but:

One of the NPRs is very small - I think it is pre-TN.
Some are huge[/spoiler:pm8vt2bl]

I haven't got through everything yet, but if you want to know more then I can get you some galaxy maps from the NPRs (if you don't already have them?).

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »
Going through a couple of NPRs, looking at their Galaxy Maps and I decided to have a look at Saint Lo Confederation. [spoiler:36t9bi6k]344 systems ....[/spoiler:36t9bi6k]

*edit*

I have attached the Galaxy Map for Saint Lo Commonwealth - took me about 2 or more hours to sort the systems on the map seeing as the AI has no need to lay them out all pretty like!

Offline laz (OP)

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 05:00:13 AM »
How do you get that kind of information from generated NPR's?

I don't mind finding out this information as im curious how my race is developing compared to other species. I know there are plenty of directions for me to expand in as I have found quite lush worlds to develop with high mineral content in neighbouring systems.

Not suprised the Saint Lo Commonwealth have that kind of star map they have been sending out ships left right and centre all over the place. They seem to be running out of minerals due to the amount of ships they have.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 07:13:16 PM »
Quote from: "laz"
How do you get that kind of information from generated NPR's?

I don't mind finding out this information as im curious how my race is developing compared to other species. I know there are plenty of directions for me to expand in as I have found quite lush worlds to develop with high mineral content in neighbouring systems.

Not suprised the Saint Lo Commonwealth have that kind of star map they have been sending out ships left right and centre all over the place. They seem to be running out of minerals due to the amount of ships they have.

There is a higher level to the SM functions but Steve has asked that anybody who knows how to get to them does not pass the information out because you can seriously ruin the game by a simple mis-click.

The Saint Lo Commonwealth are completely allied to 3 other NPRs and at war with 1 which may be why they have such a large Galaxy Map.

I had a quick look at your ship designs, have you been in any combat yet? Your designs look very fragile and I am not sure some of the weapons will actually be usable. You are missing a Fire Control for the DEs anti-missile launchers and the PDC missile bases don't have a FC either.

Hopefully Steve sees this thread and grabs the database, not sure he has ever progressed it to the point were there are this many NPRs and so many known systems.

Offline laz (OP)

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 08:51:33 PM »
The PDC Missile bases have a fire control. They use the Trident missile series and have a fire control for them. Just did a quick check. I know the one's based outside of Earth have empty missile magazines which i need to sort out though.

The DE anti-missile I didn't notice thanks for pointing out, must of been when i refitted the 4 ships I have. I've upgraded the Phalanx missiles they use so that will be the designs 4th refit.

The only combat I've had in this game so far is a brief incursion by a geo survey ship.

Those Ships, the Ostroc, Raven and Spider Class are refits of early designs from the beginning of the game. So there about 100+ years old refitted with new engines, armour and shields. I've been quite lazy updating the designs.

The Defiance is a carrier design with Duan Guang fighters. There quite old fighter designs I could probably build better now with the tech I have. The carrier is old tech I know its quite a weak design but I didn't really intend it to be in direct fire of hostiles

The Sirroco is my fleet SWAC ship. Its basically an early warning craft with big sensors of all sorts.

I've been planning to build a proper fleet in preparation for a hostile NPR war. This was going to be my battleship design which I was working on last night to develop. This is the first time I've designed such a large warship so I've no idea what makes a good "battleship" design. Seeing as your taking an interest a bit of feedback would be nice.

Code: [Select]
Emperor class Battleship    46600 tons     4285 Crew     12797 BP      TCS 932  TH 600  EM 600
2682 km/s     Armour 30-115     Shields 20-400     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 101     PPV 298
Annual Failure Rate: 214%    IFR: 3%    Maint Capacity 13904 MSP    Max Repair 620 MSP    Est Time: 4.09 Years
Flag Bridge    Magazine 1958    

Naval Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drive  (20)    Power 125    Fuel Use 40%    Signature 30    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 1,500,000 Litres    Range 144.8 billion km   (625 days at full power)
Theta Shields Mk1 (5)   Total Fuel Cost  80 Litres per day

Quad Naval 25cm Soft X-ray Laser Turret (2x4)    Range 360,000km     TS: 12500 km/s     Power 64-20     RM 6    ROF 20        16 16 16 16 16 16 13 12 10 9
Quad Gauss Cannon Mk2 Turret (2x20)    Range 50,000km     TS: 10000 km/s     Power 0-0     RM 5    ROF 5        1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0
Basic CIWS (1x6)    Range 1000 km     TS: 16000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Beam Fire Control Mk3 (4)    Max Range: 360,000 km   TS: 10000 km/s     97 94 92 89 86 83 81 78 75 72
Standard Magnetic Confinement Fusion Reactor  (4)     Total Power Output 40    Armour 2    Exp 5%

Baracuda Missile Launcher Mk2 (6)    Missile Size 10    Rate of Fire 60
Bruticus Missile Launcher (2)    Missile Size 45    Rate of Fire 270
Baracuda Mk2 Fire Control  (2)     Range 58.3m km    Resolution 60
Bruticus Missile Fire Control (2)     Range 58.3m km    Resolution 60

Missile Active Search Sensor  (1)     GPS 16     Range 96k km    Resolution 1

ECCM-3 (5)         ECM 30

Part of the reason im doing a game without precursors is so I can fight NPR ships and see what kind of opposition they throw at me.

Just briefly explain my missile design series.

Phalanx series = AMM Size 1
Baracuda series= Standard ASM Size 10
Stinger series= Short range ASM or multi-warhead missile, thermal sensor guidance Size 6
Bruticus series= MIRV with x5 stinger missiles same range as the Baracuda Size 45
Trident series= PDC ASM missile's Size 7
Satan series= Enhanced Radiation Missile for attacking planets Size 7

In addition to this design I was looking to build a dedicated missile cruiser, collier, a fighter/bomber design, a smaller missile series that could be fired in mass salvo's, and updated and improved DE's, and frigates.