Author Topic: Espionage and intel info?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
Espionage and intel info?
« on: October 03, 2010, 07:33:15 AM »
How do I use espionage? I assembled a team and know of 2 alien races, but the drop box is empty. Do I have to land the team to a planet where the race is? (that would make sense)

Bonus question, I have a ship over a neutral alien colony , but I don't get any info but the thermal/EM signature. How can I know more (pop number, ground units)? By espionage? By active sensor?

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: Espionage and intel info?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:15:20 PM »
Bonus question, I have a ship over a neutral alien colony , but I don't get any info but the thermal/EM signature. How can I know more (pop number, ground units)? By espionage? By active sensor?
For the most part, you can't. An active sensor will get you an estimate of the total ground unit strength, but that's it.

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:30:50 PM »
hu, and espionage can't do anything about that? How do I use my team in any case?

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »
You assume correctly; you have to get a team onto a world with an alien population. It works better the bigger the population is up to (IIRC) 10 million people, so don't bother spying on mining colonies.

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 03:14:21 PM »
ok, but now the question is, how can I drop a spy team on a planet of a race I'm at war with.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »
Yeah, I haven't entirely figured that one out myself. I've had some success planting spies on small colonies that don't have much sensor coverage yet and just leaving them there while the colony grows.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »
Nuke the planet until it glows.
Put espionage team there. Immediately get all the info.  ::)
Alternatively, don't start a waR and then try to get the info. Try it the other way around.  ;D
edit for typo.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:42:19 AM by UnLimiTeD »

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 12:43:11 AM »
I was thinking of targeting a planet not too protected, with a ship having (more a drop pod than anything else) something like armor thickness 10, that would be able to soak up the damages until it arrives at range 0 to drop the team. This can perhaps work, if the planet don't have too many armed ships in orbit I think.

Offline On_Target

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 03:40:08 AM »
I was thinking of targeting a planet not too protected, with a ship having (more a drop pod than anything else) something like armor thickness 10, that would be able to soak up the damages until it arrives at range 0 to drop the team. This can perhaps work, if the planet don't have too many armed ships in orbit I think.

Make it a ship with only a FAC engine, fuel, and nothing else (well, a tiny engineering space).  Have as much reduced thermal signature on it as possible, 25% would be my absolute maximum.  A team needs no drop pod, IIRC.

Slip speedily in (faster than a fighter even), right under their noses.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 06:22:25 AM »
Slip speedily in (faster than a fighter even), right under their noses.
Actually, if you make a class dedicated to this, I think a fighter engine is faster. You only need a single command module and fuel storage, which are light enough that I don't think the FAC engine's higher total power makes up for its higher mass. What's more, the fighter engine has a lower thermal signature.
That said, I don't think this will really work. Even as fast as it is, it'll probably take at least a few minutes to get through the aliens' sensor range, and a little ship like this won't be able to survive anything more threatening than a couple countermissiles. It's reasonably likely to work anyway if you use a big enough time increment, getting in and out in one sub-pulse, but that's a bug, really.

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 06:38:15 AM »
yes, I would not dare bet that the Spy Ship is fast enough to avoid missiles, so I prefer the armored version (which is still a project right now!).

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 09:47:39 AM »
A highly cloaked ship with very good thermal reduction might work. Haven´t done a lot with cloak myself though.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 10:45:39 AM »
Without weapons or anything, you can get a fast fighter at two hullsizes, that'll likely do to conceal it for a while, until the planet has strong Anti-Missile sensors on all the time.
But if they are hostile already, what do you care?
You can't change what they have on that planet by virtue of espionage, if you kill their fleet you can normally survey the planet without problem, and population size and economy can be roughly extrapolated by means of the emissions.

Offline On_Target

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 10:56:51 AM »
Actually, if you make a class dedicated to this, I think a fighter engine is faster. You only need a single command module and fuel storage, which are light enough that I don't think the FAC engine's higher total power makes up for its higher mass. What's more, the fighter engine has a lower thermal signature.
That said, I don't think this will really work. Even as fast as it is, it'll probably take at least a few minutes to get through the aliens' sensor range, and a little ship like this won't be able to survive anything more threatening than a couple countermissiles. It's reasonably likely to work anyway if you use a big enough time increment, getting in and out in one sub-pulse, but that's a bug, really.

From everything I've seen, FACs outstrip fighter speeds in most cases, but especially when things are stripped out.  There's also fuel efficiency issues that make them better able to reach the planet without a mothership to take them.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »
From everything I've seen, FACs outstrip fighter speeds in most cases, but especially when things are stripped out.  There's also fuel efficiency issues that make them better able to reach the planet without a mothership to take them.
FACs can be faster than fighters if the FAC's engine:total mass ratio is higher. Since an FAC engine is five times larger, it's not hard to do this. However, if the ship consists of an engine and practically nothing else, the fighter engine does have 50% more power per ton, and you can squeeze fuel, life support, and minimal armor into a half a hull space.