Other Games > Project:GOLEM

Project Alpha

(1/3) > >>

Erik L:
That's the working title. Not had any good brainstorms for a decent title yet. The attached document is a rough first draft playtest ruleset. Comments are always welcome.

kdstubbs:
For a robotic unit, I think your machine gun units are woefully under armed.  My son use to carry 750 rounds of 5.56 into combat with his SAW in Iraq.  Three box magazines, one on the weapon and two on his back.  A normal combat load for the 50 cal on an Abrams Tank is about 2000 rounds, and 6000 for the 7.62 gunners weapon.  If I remember my stats from ten years ago.

My point is that while infantry normally does not carry excessive numbers of rounds, my son's unit went into battle with large numbers of rounds--most carried in their vehicles, but when they went on foot.  He had more than 500 rounds.  

A robotic tank should have more than 500 rounds for their weapons--I would say they would use a mini-gun not a single barrel weapon, and what about rail guns--if you have the power for lasers, then you have the power for a rail gun.

Kevin

Erik L:

--- Quote from: "kdstubbs" ---For a robotic unit, I think your machine gun units are woefully under armed.  My son use to carry 750 rounds of 5.56 into combat with his SAW in Iraq.  Three box magazines, one on the weapon and two on his back.  A normal combat load for the 50 cal on an Abrams Tank is about 2000 rounds, and 6000 for the 7.62 gunners weapon.  If I remember my stats from ten years ago.

My point is that while infantry normally does not carry excessive numbers of rounds, my son's unit went into battle with large numbers of rounds--most carried in their vehicles, but when they went on foot.  He had more than 500 rounds.  

A robotic tank should have more than 500 rounds for their weapons--I would say they would use a mini-gun not a single barrel weapon, and what about rail guns--if you have the power for lasers, then you have the power for a rail gun.

Kevin
--- End quote ---

I suppose this would fall under handwavium. I just double-checked the file, and I did not define a turn length. So if a combat turn is say 10 seconds, the ammo numbers given would apply as 50 rounds of combat fire (in the machine gun's case). One could assume that more than 5 shots are fired in that 10 seconds.

Of course, this is a very rough first draft yet.

kdstubbs:
Eric
      Cyclic rates are the key here.  ten second burst with the new M60E5 7.62 can fire 5000 rounds in 90 seconds, I believe that is correct.  A minigun can run through 1000 rounds in 60 seconds easy, the 20 mm Mk 15 CIWS used by USN fires at a rate of between 3000 and 6000 rounds per minute.  So ten seconds would burn up 300 to 600 rounds, and I assume combat turns of ten seconds do not include reloading between turns.  

I think your project could be a very useful adjunct to the SFA or Aurora universes, since ground combat has always been anemic in these arenas.  Combat exoskeleton powered armor would allow the individual soldier to carry 20 mm gatling guns for counter infantry with 40 mm or above for anti-armor.  If you're using Laser and Plasma Weapons then rail guns become possible, which means the individual combat armor is going to get heavy really quick--this could become a lot of fun

Kevin

Erik L:
Okay. So let's call the RoF for projectile weapons bursts instead of discrete shots.

If the armor is thick enough to withstand laser/plasma shots, then a few rounds of call it .50 cal is not going to do much to it. If each "shot" is actually a burst of say 90-100 rounds (using Kevin's example of 300-600 rounds/10 seconds and a game RoF of 5), I think that'd be enough to damage the armor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version