Author Topic: Some questions on Deployment Time  (Read 2141 times)

Offline aenda (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • a
Some questions on Deployment Time
« on: February 15, 2014, 09:33:03 AM »
Hello all,
I'm new to this game, just picked it up and have done the basic preliminary reading on the forums and wiki, just getting down to business with the game itself now.  I've decided to start designing some ships.  My first basic question is this: after reading this post:
hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php/topic,4819. 0. html
I am rather confused on the concept of Deployment Time.  As I understand it, all it does is increase the number of required crew/accomodation - so why shouldn't I just make it as small as possible? I feel like I am missing some part of the equation here.
Thanks for your time.
(Also, I used the url tags, but I can't seem to put in an unobfuscated link - is this intentional?)

Offline 3_14159

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • ?
Re: Some questions on Deployment Time
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »
Hello all,
I'm new to this game, just picked it up and have done the basic preliminary reading on the forums and wiki, just getting down to business with the game itself now.  I've decided to start designing some ships.  My first basic question is this: after reading this post:
hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php/topic,4819. 0. html
I am rather confused on the concept of Deployment Time.  As I understand it, all it does is increase the number of required crew/accomodation - so why shouldn't I just make it as small as possible? I feel like I am missing some part of the equation here.
You can find more details in this thread, more specifically here:

Fleet Training
Fleet Training Points are always modified by Crew Morale when any action involving fleet training takes place. For example, a ship with a 60% fleet training rating and 80% crew morale would act as if it has a 48% fleet training rating (60% x 80%). Fleet training affects how quickly ships will respond to new movement and firing orders when hostile ships are present.

Crew Grade
Any action that uses crew grade as a modifier will also be affected by low morale. This includes weapon accuracy, maintenance failures and transit delays. The current crew grade modifier is determined by the following formula:

Crew Grade Modifier = 1 + (Round Down ( Square Root ( Ship Grade Points) - 10) / 100)

So for 100 grade points the crew grade modifier = 1.00. For 500 grade points, the crew grade modifier = 1.1236.

This final modifier is multiplied by the crew morale. So with 80% morale and 500 grade points the final modifier would be 0.8 x 1.1236 = 0.8989

This is applied as a straightforward modifier to weapons fire. For maintenance failures the chance of failure is multiplied by (2 - Crew Grade Modifier), which means a modifier greater than 1 results in less failures than would normally be expected. For modifier less than 1, there will be more maintenance failures than normal. For transit delays, the length of the delay is multiplied by (2 - Crew Grade Modifier).

Surveying
The rate at which a ship generates geological or gravitational survey points is modified by morale

As most of the above effects are combat or maintenance-related, with the exceptions of surveying and transit delay, commercial shipping is unlikely to suffer much of a penalty from crew morale. Therefore, to qualify for commercial status, a class design must include crew quarters for at least a three month deployment duration.

So, you usually can't set the deployment time to nearly zero. Generally, my deployment times look something like that:
- Fighters: As short as possible, because at 0.1months and 0.01 months the needed crew is decreased further (no guarantee for the exact numbers)
- Survey ships: As long as possible, usually about 4-5 years
- Warships: Depending on their deployment usually about half a year.

Thanks for your time.
(Also, I used the url tags, but I can't seem to put in an unobfuscated link - is this intentional?)
This is an anti-spam measure, meaning you can't post URLs until you've posted five times.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
Most military systems will be affected negatively if a ship exceeds it's deployment time, also gravitational survey sensors. Aim for a deployment time that fits how a vessel will be used, perhaps 6 months for a standard warship that will spend most of it's time at a planet with maintenance facilities, 6 months would give you enough time to send the ship several systems away for an offensive, or for prolonged training exercises, for vessels on jump point defence duty or which are defending a system far away from a populated world you might pick a year or more deployment time.
A vessel resets it's deployment time by spending time at a populated colony, basically shore leave or recreation for the crew.

In regards to your image posting problem, as a new member you're restricted from posting images or links for your first couple of posts, it's a spambot prevention thing, I'm sure one of the forum admins will fix that link http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4819.0.html up for you .

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:54:16 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline aenda (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • a
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:04:13 AM »
Thanks for your replies guys, that cleared things up! Really looking forward to getting to know this game better, happy I stumbled upon it.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »

Yes. Once you get a few more posts under your belt, it's removed automatically.