Author Topic: Missile Design Guide Desired  (Read 5068 times)

Offline solops (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
Missile Design Guide Desired
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »
There is a fairly detailed explanation of beam weapon tech, design and sensor requirements in the tutorial. I need something like that to design missiles. An attempt has been made to make the missile design screen idiot-proof, but alas it is not. It assumes a basic knowledge and understanding of some terminology and technology that I do not have and cannot find. For instance, I have researched missile agility 48I yet that tech is not listed on the "Current Missile Technology" list and  I can put "50" in the agility box....I don't understand. Also, I have Warhead strength 3, but I do not see that tech listed on the "Current Missile Technology" list either, nor do I see how/where it fits into the design. Many of the other items in missile design also cause confusion.
Help, please.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Missile Design Guide Desired
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »
Quote from: "solops"
There is a fairly detailed explanation of beam weapon tech, design and sensor requirements in the tutorial. I need something like that to design missiles. An attempt has been made to make the missile design screen idiot-proof, but alas it is not. It assumes a basic knowledge and understanding of some terminology and technology that I do not have and cannot find. For instance, I have researched missile agility 48I yet that tech is not listed on the "Current Missile Technology" list and  I can put "50" in the agility box....I don't understand. Also, I have Warhead strength 3, but I do not see that tech listed on the "Current Missile Technology" list either, nor do I see how/where it fits into the design. Many of the other items in missile design also cause confusion.
Help, please.
When you have the missile design screen up there is a section in the center titled Current Missile Technology.  This shows what you have currently researched.  You will note that a lot of it is per MSP.  MSP is Missile Space Point.  If you have warhead strength 4 then having an entire MSP devoted to Warhead will let your missile do 4 points of damage when it hits.  

For engine power, and Agility the total size of the missile is also a factor.  A missile that is twice as large will need an engine that is twice as powerfull to go the same speed.  By the same token the amount of fuel on board will be used up faster for the larger engine, etc.  If you double the missile size, and double all of the components, the speed and chance to hit will remain the same, the warhead strength, and any other defense or sensor that were doubled, will also double.

If you want your missile to be able to seek a target on its own, you will need a sensor package on the missile.  This is most usefull if your original target was destroyed while the missile was in flight.

It will probably take you several tryouts before you get the hang of designing an effective missile.

Best of luck
Brian

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »
Ok, I´ll give it a shot :)

Only talking about offensiv/defensiv missiles, not drones/buoys

Missiles have four main components:
Warhead, engine, fuel, agility
and several "secondary" components:
various sensors, ECM, Armor

If you look at the top-center of the missile design screen, on the current missile technology table, the effects of your current tech are listet, like:
Warhead strength per MSP, Missile Engine Power per MSP and so on.
If your Warhead strength per MSP is, for example, 4, you get a warhead dealing 4 points of damage, if you dedicate 1 Missile Size Point to warhead.
So, not the actual tech is listed, but the effect it has.

You can dedicate fractions of MSPs to each component. AMMs, for example, will often only have 0.01 to 0.04 fuel, as anti-missile-sensors are usualy rather short ranged and so AMMs need only short range too.

Warhead: Defines how much damage your missile will deal to the enemy if it hits. Note: There are no fractional damagepoints.
Engine: The faster your missile goes, the harder is it to shoot down and the higher the chance it can hit the target if it doesn´t get shot down
Fuel: The more fuel it carries, the longer the range
Agility: The more agility a missile has, the more manouverable it is. This increases the chance to hit a target

Sensors on missiles are only used for two situations (that I´m aware of)
a) your missile was shot at a ship, which got destroyed by a previous salvo. If you missile doesn´t mount an on-board sensor, it will simply self destruct, because it no longer has a target. With on-board sensors, it will proceed to the point, its target was seen last and activate its sensor to search for a new target.
b) If the ship launching the missile gets destroyed, the same will happen.

ECM makes it harder for enemy point defense to shoot down your missile

Armor, well, rather self explaining, isn´t it?

Then there is the whole "Multi Stage Missile" thing

You can design something like a MIRV missile
You first design the second stage, say a size 2 missile with range 5mkm, speed 25k, agility 20 and warhead 6 and put 3 of those into a size 12, speed 15k, range 75mkm, agility 10 "carrier missile"

This stuff is, at least partial, explained here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1394
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline WCG

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • W
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:15:13 PM »
This is all very useful, but I need you all to back up a bit. (Apparently, the missile design screen isn't idiot-proof enough for THIS idiot.)

When I open up this window, there's a missile design already there: "Size 2 Anti-ship Missile." But there's no "Copy Design" or "New Design" button.

There's a "Create" button which might be to save this design, but then what? Frankly, I'm worried about playing around with it. In my first attempt at a game, I really screwed up a couple of my ships by changing the design after they were built (wrongly assuming that just changing the design wouldn't remove stuff from a ship in the field - I hadn't planned to build any more of them, so I didn't figure it mattered). I thought I'd better ask before doing something like that again.

Then there's a "Create Series" button, but what's that mean? What IS a missile series?

And there's a "Set Series" button, which doesn't mean anything to me, either. ("Delete Series" seems simple enough even for me, assuming that I knew what a series was in the first place.) There are drop-down menus (the design on the screen is in neither of them) for previous designs and for missile series, so apparently a series isn't just a design. It might be a group of designs, but if so, what's the significance of that?

I guess I'd expect a "Create Design" button on the bottom of the screen,  since there's a "Clear Design" button there (which does seem self-explanatory). As I say, I'm guessing that "Create" will save the current design, but can I then change things on this page without messing it up? That's not how the ship design page works.

The ship design window seems easier to understand than this one, but maybe that's because there was a tutorial on it. I don't want to play around with this one, because I'm afraid I'll lose the example that's already there (in this game, I've grown to appreciate examples!).

Does anyone want to explain the basics here?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:58:09 PM »
Quote from: "WCG"
This is all very useful, but I need you all to back up a bit. (Apparently, the missile design screen isn't idiot-proof enough for THIS idiot.)

When I open up this window, there's a missile design already there: "Size 2 Anti-ship Missile." But there's no "Copy Design" or "New Design" button.

There's a "Create" button which might be to save this design, but then what? Frankly, I'm worried about playing around with it. In my first attempt at a game, I really screwed up a couple of my ships by changing the design after they were built (wrongly assuming that just changing the design wouldn't remove stuff from a ship in the field - I hadn't planned to build any more of them, so I didn't figure it mattered). I thought I'd better ask before doing something like that again.

Then there's a "Create Series" button, but what's that mean? What IS a missile series?

And there's a "Set Series" button, which doesn't mean anything to me, either. ("Delete Series" seems simple enough even for me, assuming that I knew what a series was in the first place.) There are drop-down menus (the design on the screen is in neither of them) for previous designs and for missile series, so apparently a series isn't just a design. It might be a group of designs, but if so, what's the significance of that?

I guess I'd expect a "Create Design" button on the bottom of the screen,  since there's a "Clear Design" button there (which does seem self-explanatory). As I say, I'm guessing that "Create" will save the current design, but can I then change things on this page without messing it up? That's not how the ship design page works.

The ship design window seems easier to understand than this one, but maybe that's because there was a tutorial on it. I don't want to play around with this one, because I'm afraid I'll lose the example that's already there (in this game, I've grown to appreciate examples!).

Does anyone want to explain the basics here?

If you go to the 2nd page of the Mechanics forum, you'll find a thread started by Steve entitled "Missile Series" viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1733  That should explain your questions about the series stuff.  Note that looking for threads started by Steve in Mechanics is a good way to get a feel for large swaths of functionality.

On the ship design vs. missile design, you're correct, missile design (and all the other tech component design tabs e.g. "design" or "turrets") don't talk to the DB while you're editing them - it's only when you hit the save button (the actual name of which I don't know, since I'm away from the game....) that the tech item is created.  So you don't need to worry about changing current stuff in this screen.

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 03:03:03 PM »
A series is a... well... series of missiles. Missile A, Missile B, Missile C, etc. Most people will improve a tech (missile engine power for example), then design a new missile based off of the previous generation of missile.

The design that shows up at the beginning, is based on the values in the upper left section. As you modify those values, your design changes. When you have decided on a final product, my suggestion is to Create Series (for future updates), and then Create. The Create button allows you to research the newly designed missile.

If I recall, Set Series allows you to add a missile to a series.

Once you hit Create, any changes you make would result in a new design (if you click create again).

Offline WCG

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • W
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 04:01:22 PM »
Got it. Thanks for the info!

Bill

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 07:26:26 PM »
FYI as a newcomer, something I learned after a little trial and error, the missiles can be built with fractional numbers. So, you dont need a whole numbers.

As an example, here is a size 2 missile from my current game, which is still very low tech, this missile is built for up close and personal, like the sprint missiles from Starfire. It still out ranges low tech beam and kinetic weapons.

Dagger D-ASM2 (Dogfight Missile)
Missile Size: 2 MSP  (0.1 HS)     Warhead: 2    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 13
Speed: 32000 km/s    Endurance: 1 minutes   Range: 1.3m km
Cost Per Missile: 1.6417
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 416%   3k km/s 130%   5k km/s 83.2%   10k km/s 41.6%
Materials Required:    0.5x Tritanium   0.9687x Gallicite   Fuel x25

Development Cost for Project: 164RP

To get these numbers, the missile was built with these values
Warhead Strength- 1
Engine Power- 0.8
Fuel Capacity- 0.01
Agility- 0.19
Total 2

I would HIGHLY recommend that you make sure that whatever you build, try and use the chance to hit 10K Km/s value as your gauge on missile design. Speed is everything, the faster the missile, the less time you give the enemy to intercept it. Also, generally the faster the missile, the better your chance to hit fast targets will be.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 08:24:21 PM »
Quote from: "Arwyn"
FYI as a newcomer, something I learned after a little trial and error, the missiles can be built with fractional numbers. So, you dont need a whole numbers.

As an example, here is a size 2 missile from my current game, which is still very low tech, this missile is built for up close and personal, like the sprint missiles from Starfire. It still out ranges low tech beam and kinetic weapons.

Dagger D-ASM2 (Dogfight Missile)
Missile Size: 2 MSP  (0.1 HS)     Warhead: 2    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 13
Speed: 32000 km/s    Endurance: 1 minutes   Range: 1.3m km
Cost Per Missile: 1.6417
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 416%   3k km/s 130%   5k km/s 83.2%   10k km/s 41.6%
Materials Required:    0.5x Tritanium   0.9687x Gallicite   Fuel x25

Development Cost for Project: 164RP

To get these numbers, the missile was built with these values
Warhead Strength- 1
Engine Power- 0.8
Fuel Capacity- 0.01
Agility- 0.19
Total 2

I would HIGHLY recommend that you make sure that whatever you build, try and use the chance to hit 10K Km/s value as your gauge on missile design. Speed is everything, the faster the missile, the less time you give the enemy to intercept it. Also, generally the faster the missile, the better your chance to hit fast targets will be.

If you don't mind a little critique.

Your missiles are VERY short ranged. 1.3 million km? The average missile I use (pause as I launch Aurora).
Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 6 MSP  (0.3 HS)     Warhead: 8    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 36000 km/s    Endurance: 7 minutes   Range: 15.0m km
Cost Per Missile: 5.6
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 360%   3k km/s 120%   5k km/s 72%   10k km/s 36%
Materials Required:    2x Tritanium   3.35x Gallicite   Fuel x1000

Development Cost for Project: 560RP

This is what I would class as a "light" to "medium" missile. This is a "heavy" missile.
Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 8 MSP  (0.4 HS)     Warhead: 8    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 27000 km/s    Endurance: 42 minutes   Range: 67.5m km
Cost Per Missile: 5.6
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 270%   3k km/s 90%   5k km/s 54%   10k km/s 27%
Materials Required:    2x Tritanium   3.35x Gallicite   Fuel x6000

Development Cost for Project: 560RP

Notice the ranges? I can sit well outside your engagement zone and bombard you to wreckage. :)

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 10:40:19 PM »
Yep, that particular missile is short range sprint missile for dogfights and for payload on big MIRV birds.

The MIRV version;
Kingfisher ASM12-M
Missile Size: 12 MSP  (0.6 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 13300 km/s    Endurance: 107 minutes   Range: 85.5m km
Cost Per Missile: 7.5918
Second Stage: Dagger D-ASM2 x3
Second Stage Separation Range: 150,000 km
Overall Endurance: 2 hours   Overall Range: 86.5m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 133%   3k km/s 40%   5k km/s 26.6%   10k km/s 13.3%
Materials Required:    1.5x Tritanium   5.3228x Gallicite   Fuel x10000

Development Cost for Project: 759RP

My usual ASM2 is this one;
Dart ASM2
Missile Size: 2 MSP  (0.1 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 40000 km/s    Endurance: 27 minutes   Range: 64.3m km
Cost Per Missile: 1.5833
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 400%   3k km/s 130%   5k km/s 80%   10k km/s 40%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   1.0833x Gallicite   Fuel x1250

Development Cost for Project: 158RP

My current "standard" missile for most of my light ships is this one;
Spear ASM4
Missile Size: 4 MSP  (0.2 HS)     Warhead: 2    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 40000 km/s    Endurance: 27 minutes   Range: 64.3m km
Cost Per Missile: 3.1667
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 400%   3k km/s 130%   5k km/s 80%   10k km/s 40%
Materials Required:    0.5x Tritanium   2.4167x Gallicite   Fuel x2500

Development Cost for Project: 317RP

Cruisers are using size 6 or 8 launchers.

Through (painful) experience, I go for no less than 40% to hit at 10k km/s, and the faster the missile the better, to shorten intercept chances. My last couple of games got me further up the tech tree, and I was running a lot of MIRVed missiles to get around the speed and point defense issues I was having against NPR's.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:17:23 PM »
A few things to be aware of:

1)  If you don't put "fixed size enhancements" (such as seeker heads or armor) on a missile, then the performance characteristics scale exactly.  In other words, if you cut all the parameters of your warhead = 2 missile in half, then you'll end up with a size 1 missile that costs half as much and has a strength-1 warhead, but is identical in terms of speed, hit probability etc.

2)  Launcher rate-of-fire is inversely proportional to the missile size.  So a size-2 launcher requires twice as long to load as a size-1 launcher.

3)  It costs point defense just as much to shoot down a size-1 missile as it does a size-2 missile with the same performance characteristics (and no armor).

4)  The depth of penetration of a missile warhead goes like the square root of the warhead strength.  So strength 1, 2 and 3 warheads will only do damage to the 1st armor layer, strength 4-8 will do damage to the 2nd armor layer, strength 9-15 to the 3rd and so on.  This means that 2 strength-1 hits will do the same type of damage (1st armor layer only) as a single strength-2 hit (up to 2nd-order probability effects which are small for reasonably sized ships).  This is because the damage template for a missile warhead looks like a "pyramid", e.g. 5:3:1 damage to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd layers of armor for a strength-9 hit.

5)  The minimum launcher size is 1.

What this means is that the following:

A)  A size-1 missile has a O(N) advantage over a size-N missile (with the same characteristics and an Nx warhead) in terms of rate of fire - the launchers cycle N times as fast.

B)  A size-1 missile makes the point-defence problem somewhere between N and N^2 more difficult, since each salvo has N-times as many missiles (albeit with N-times as weak warhead), and the higher rate of fire could make it necessary for point defence to deal with as many as N-times as many salvoes in the same period of time.

C)  A size-N missile can penetrate armor more deeply.  This is a big advantage for big ships with armor which can be penetrated in a single hit.  If a single hit can't penetrate the target's armor, then you have to sandblast away almost the entire tonnage of armor on the ship before your missiles begin penetrating.  Since the minimum armor strength is 1, any warhead less than strength-4 is guarenteed to require more than one (and probably many more than one) hit in order to do internal damage.

D)  Mounting seeker heads or armor is N-times less expensive, relatively, on a size-N missile.

The upshot of this is that there is an ongoing tactical debate about missile size.  The two camps are "sand-blast with lots of small missiles with small warheads" and "blast deep holes with a few big missiles with heavy warheads".  The thing to realize is that using size-2 warheads on anything other than a size-1 missile gives you the worst of both worlds.  If you're in the sandblasting camp, then you should design a size-1 warhead missile that's 1/2 has big (which will probably up the enemy's point defense problem by 4x).  If you're in the heavy-warhead camp, then you should go for a size-4 or size-9 warhead to get deeper penetration.

In other words, you should either cut all the parameters on both warhead-strength-2 designs by a factor of two (note that this will not change the hit probabilities at all) or go for heavier warheads that can do penetration damage.

The place that you will often see strength-2 warheads is on a "deer slug" ASM round for size-1 AMM launchers.  Since the minimum launcher size is 1, you trade off engine power for warhead in a missile that's design to attack ships yet can be fired from AMM launchers on escorts.

It also means that it's a good idea to put at least strength 3 armor on combatants that will typically be attacked by missiles - this will force anything other than very heavy warheads into sandblasting mode.

John

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 12:39:15 AM »
Now that is some great information, especially the bit about armor.

Ironically, I had just whipped up a new cruiser design, with the goal to put as many missiles on the target per volley as I can. I crammed a bunch of size 2 missiles with miniaturization into the heavy cruiser design. This gave me 20 missiles per volley, per cruiser. The issue I saw was an NPR that was really good at knocking down smaller salvoes, so I was having to gang up several ships to get past the PD. The new design gives me a massive throw weight in S2 missiles, and at much larger ranges than the NPR is running right now. Down side is the slow reload rate. Compared to the previous Size 6 launchers though, its only 40 seconds, so instead of a volley every minute, I get one just over every minute and a half.

The upside, at least in simulation, is that it clobbers the NPRs current classes. So far, in about 5 volleys, I can cripple their biggest ship, or at least smash it up bad enough the lighter fleet elements can get in with smaller salvoes and knock it out of action. With the (limited) payload that it has, that gives me a shot of knocking out three of their cruisers to one of mine. Not bad odds, especially since it makes my older destroyers effective again.

The MAJOR downside though is FEEDING this thing. A pair of these things eats up my missile stockpile like Congress on a spending spree!  :(

(And yes, I know there is a discrepancy between the Anti-Missile Control system range and the search sensor range. ;) )

Harrington class Heavy Cruiser    12850 tons     932 Crew     2159.6 BP      TCS 257  TH 400  EM 270
3112 km/s     Armour 4-48     Shields 9-300     Sensors 24/24/0/0     Damage Control Rating 13     PPV 21
Annual Failure Rate: 101%    IFR: 1.4%    Maint Capacity 1365 MSP    Max Repair 240 MSP    Est Time: 2.87 Years
Magazine 841    

Magneto-plasma Drive E9 (10)    Power 80    Fuel Use 90%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 300,000 Litres    Range 46.7 billion km   (173 days at full power)
Beta R300/13.5 Shields (6)   Total Fuel Cost  81 Litres per day

CIWS-80 (2x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 8000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Anti-Missile Launcher (1)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 10
Rattler FAC ASM2 Launcher (20)    Missile Size 2    Rate of Fire 100
Awl Missile Control System (1)     Range 2.2m km    Resolution 1
Mercury Missile Control System (1)     Range 51.8m km    Resolution 40
Flash Anti-missile Missile (100)  Speed: 39,300 km/s   End: 0.8m    Range: 1.8m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 131 / 78 / 39
Dart ASM2 (350)  Speed: 40,000 km/s   End: 20.8m    Range: 50m km   WH: 1    Size: 2    TH: 133 / 80 / 40
Dagger D-ASM2 (20)  Speed: 32,000 km/s   End: 0.5m    Range: 1m km   WH: 2    Size: 2    TH: 138 / 83 / 41

Bugswatter Search Sensor (1)     GPS 168     Range 1.0m km    Resolution 1
Arclight Search Sensor (1)     GPS 10800     Range 64.8m km    Resolution 45
Thermal Sensor TH4-24 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km
EM Detection Sensor EM4-24 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 06:28:42 AM »
Harrington class Heavy Cruiser    12850 tons     932 Crew     2159.6 BP      TCS 257  TH 400  EM 270
3112 km/s     Armour 4-48     Shields 9-300     Sensors 24/24/0/0     Damage Control Rating 13     PPV 21
Annual Failure Rate: 101%    IFR: 1.4%    Maint Capacity 1365 MSP    Max Repair 240 MSP    Est Time: 2.87 Years
Magazine 841    

Magneto-plasma Drive E9 (10)    Power 80    Fuel Use 90%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 300,000 Litres    Range 46.7 billion km   (173 days at full power)

CIWS-80 (2x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 8000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Flash Anti-missile Missile (100)  Speed: 39,300 km/s   End: 0.8m    Range: 1.8m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 131 / 78 / 39
Dart ASM2 (350)  Speed: 40,000 km/s   End: 20.8m    Range: 50m km   WH: 1    Size: 2    TH: 133 / 80 / 40
Dagger D-ASM2 (20)  Speed: 32,000 km/s   End: 0.5m    Range: 1m km   WH: 2    Size: 2    TH: 138 / 83 / 41

Thermal Sensor TH4-24 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km
EM Detection Sensor EM4-24 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

You only have one missile fire control system for your ASMs. That means you can only fire your 20 launchers at one target.  In previous threads it appears that most of us have a fire control to sensor ratio of between 1:5 and 1:10; this gives you a lot more flexibility if you have multiple targets that don't require saturation attacks. Also, why the one AMM launcher? I would have thought that would be an inefficient use of mass.
Welchbloke

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 09:19:36 AM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Magazine 841    

You only have one missile fire control system for your ASMs. That means you can only fire your 20 launchers at one target.  In previous threads it appears that most of us have a fire control to sensor ratio of between 1:5 and 1:10; this gives you a lot more flexibility if you have multiple targets that don't require saturation attacks. Also, why the one AMM launcher? I would have thought that would be an inefficient use of mass.

Part of the reason was that I have been having to saturate the targets to get kills in on the larger ships. The Lal (NPR) seem to have better PD than I do, and its taken a lot of missiles to get significant hits in. I could put additional FC in for them, the thought actually hadn't crossed my mind, but I am concerned about space and weight.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:16 AM »
The bad news is that your Dagger ASM is slightly better at missile intercept than your Flash AMM.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley