Author Topic: frequency of increment bog-down  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
frequency of increment bog-down
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:35:39 AM »
Last night I finally had some time to play the game. I sat down and 2 turns in I hit "30" day turn with "automatic" checked.  The game started going in 5 second increments (which as we know is normal). 2 hours later it was still going 5 seconds at a time. I went to bed and when I got up 7 hours later...it was still going!

I know why this occurs but what I want to know is how common is it? Do u guys who play a lot run into this often. I don't get a lot of play time and I don't want to continue if I an going to get 1 turn in a night. I know its a game mechanic but if it is rare that a battle of this duration occurs...I'LL chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: frequency of increment bog-down
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:16:21 AM »
Quote from: "Mikeck"
Last night I finally had some time to play the game. I sat down and 2 turns in I hit "30" day turn with "automatic" checked.  The game started going in 5 second increments (which as we know is normal). 2 hours later it was still going 5 seconds at a time. I went to bed and when I got up 7 hours later...it was still going!

I know why this occurs but what I want to know is how common is it? Do u guys who play a lot run into this often. I don't get a lot of play time and I don't want to continue if I an going to get 1 turn in a night. I know its a game mechanic but if it is rare that a battle of this duration occurs...I'LL chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

I had a similar situation some time ago.
I looked what the NPRs where doing and found an NPR battlegroup sitting over a precursor listening post. There where also a couple of precursor sensor buoys there. The NPRs simply sat there, doing nothing. Of course, with enemy units in range, aurora thinks combat is imminent, and therefore goes for 5 second increments.
Because the NPRs weren´t doing anything, this situation would probably have lasted forever.
I ordered the NPRs to take out the buoys and deleted the outpost manually (the NPR where Meson armed, so they couldn´t blast the outpost themselfes). Immediately after this, aurora resumed running in 1 to 5 day increments.

Long story short, I do belive this is some kind of a bug and I have reported it in the bug thread here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2027&start=30#p19622
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
Ok, how do I do what you did? How do I go and find out who is fighting who and delete them. Presumably, if it is a precursor, I could just delete the precursor? I. Have sm mode on but don't know how to do it.

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:19:58 AM »
...Also, could I avoid this type of thing (at least most) by creating a new game without precursors? I would still get npr ? Npr but without precursors, these day long (in real life time) battles would be less?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:20:48 AM »
Can you send me the DB please so I can see what is happening. Please zip up the Stevefire.mdb file and email it to stevewalmsley at btinternet.com

Steve

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »
You got it Steve.  I'm at work so it will be awile (7 hours)

Has anyone had a problem like this when playing WITHOUT precursors?

EDIT: On the way Steve.  Thanks for looking....game has been running 18 hours real-life time now....5 sec increments.