Author Topic: Engines: Normal, Hyper, Jump & Gates  (Read 1735 times)

Offline solops (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
Engines: Normal, Hyper, Jump & Gates
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:04:43 PM »
If there is a summary of the different methods for moving in Aurora, please direct me to it. I need a description of the various methods and how they can be used. So far as I can see, there are three type of engines (Normal, Hyper and Jump) and the Jump Gates. What they can be used for is mystically confusing.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Engines: Normal, Hyper, Jump & Gates
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:00:04 AM »
Normal Engine:
Your normal, off the shelf, sub-light engine. Moves your ship at a max. speed as stated in the design(F5) or ship (F6) window.

Edit: Normal engines come in four flavours:
Military: Small, good power to weight ratio. Ships mounting military engines may not be taken through a jumppoint by a jumpship using a civillian jump engine
Civillian: Large, bad power to weight ratio, very fuel efficient. Ships mounting civillian engines may not be taken through a jumppoint by a jumpship using a military jump engine
FAC: Miniaturized military engine. Great power to weight ratio. Fuel hogs. Ships can only mount 1 of those
Fighter: Even more miniaturzied. Incredible power to weight ratio. Fuel hogs on steroids. Ships can only mount 1 of those

Hyper Engine:
Doubles the mass of your normal engine (this penalty can be lowered by tech). Moves your ship at 10x the max speed of normal engines.
WARNING: Only works outside the Hyper Limit (on the system map (F3), Display, there is a checkox (lowest) Hyper Limit, checking this, shows it. For the solar system, the Hyper limit is just outside the Neptun path.
For single star systems, Hyper Engines are rarely usefull, as most of the system is inside the limit anyway. Useful for moving from one component to another in a multi-star-system (Less so, since Steve introduced Lagrange-Point-In-System-Jumps). Personally, I never use them, as they kill Power to Mass ratios.

Jumpengine:
Not an engine at all, actually. Used to open a jumppoint (think Babylon 5), in order to move a ship/ships from one solar system to another.
Ships with jump engines can take a number of ships with them through a jump point (number depends on tech researched, starting tech is 3, i.e. the jumpship plus 2 others). The other limit is, no ship can have a larger mass than either the jumpship, or the rating of the jumpengine THE LOWER OF THE TWO APPLY i.e. if you put a 20.000t jumpengine on a 5.000t ship, the largest ship to go through the jumppoint is a 5.000t ship.

Edit: Jump Engines come in two flavors, Military and Civillian
Military: Carry ships with military engines through jumppoints. Small. Can be vastely improved (carry more ships through, appear further away from the jumppoint) by tech.
Civillian: Carry ships with commercial engines through jumppoints. Large. Can only carry 1 additional ship through a jumppoint

Jump Gate:
Build on a jumppoint. Used to let ships without a jump engine enter a jumppoint (again, think Babylon 5). WARNING: Works for your enemy too! You don´t "own" a jump gate, everyone can use it, no matter who build it originaly.
This is the main drawback in my book: If you (or your enemy) has, say, 3 jumpships, that each can bring 2 other ships along, the first attack wave can mostly be those 3 jumpships plus 6 other combat ships. If you have a jump gate in place, a fleet of 50 ships or more might suddenly appear on a nice sunday morning (think Pearl Harbour on steroids)
Civillians will only use jump gates to go to other systems (at least this used to be true, not sure if this was changed recently)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline a1s

• Chief Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 11:37:25 AM »
2 small notes:
1.civilian jump drives can take more than one ship with them, but it's less then what you could take with you if you had equal level military engine (it's 1 for squadron 2, and 2 for squadron 3, so I'm guessing it's one less, but I'm a big jumpgate fan (they save resources) so I can't tell you if the trend keeps)
2. THE LOWER OF THE TWO is always the size of the jump-ship, if you make your engine too small for your ship (which you can do, BTW  :? ) it will not jump. at all.
Terran Federation needs you oO000
to edit the Aurorawiki

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »
Quote from: "a1s"
2 small notes:
1.civilian jump drives can take more than one ship with them, but it's less then what you could take with you if you had equal level military engine (it's 1 for squadron 2, and 2 for squadron 3, so I'm guessing it's one less, but I'm a big jumpgate fan (they save resources) so I can't tell you if the trend keeps)

Not entirely true. I am not sure you can increase the squadron size for civillian jump engines (never tried this), but squadron size for _all_ jump engines means "Total ships to jump through in one go", i.e. squadron size 3 means 1 jumpship plus 2 "passengers" no matter if civilian or military jump engine

Quote from: "a1s"
2. THE LOWER OF THE TWO is always the size of the jump-ship, if you make your engine too small for your ship (which you can do, BTW  :? ) it will not jump. at all.

You´re right, of course. Oh, and you can´t lock the design, if the JE is too small
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:52:16 PM »
Really liked the breakdown, Hawkeye.  Please feel free to add this information to the FAQ - either in the Jump... thread or a new thread about engine questions.  I threw a bunch of stuff in as a seed, but would be nice if there were a lot more posts and threads in there from the other experienced players (like you).

Thanks,
John

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Not entirely true. I am not sure you can increase the squadron size for civillian jump engines (never tried this), but squadron size for _all_ jump engines means "Total ships to jump through in one go", i.e. squadron size 3 means 1 jumpship plus 2 "passengers" no matter if civilian or military jump engine

Yes, you can increase the size of the squadron for civilian jump engines. In fact, all the same settings apply to both. But, as a1s pointed out, when you switch between civilian and military variants, the same squadron size tech will result in a different squadron number on the final engine report. For lower tech levels this number seems to be 1 less for civilian versions, than for their equivalent military counterparts.
(@)