Author Topic: New Phenomena in v5.1 (Spoiler)  (Read 2374 times)

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
New Phenomena in v5.1 (Spoiler)
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:59:40 AM »
edit
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:33:32 AM by waresky »

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:12:40 PM »
Waresky,  you did see where Steve said to use spoiler codes for the short term...right?   :wink:
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: New Phenomena in v5.1 (Spoiler)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »
I have changed the titles of the three posts and added spoiler tags so new players will have the fun of seeing this for themselves. They can still read the posts if they want to look ahead

Steve

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 03:00:04 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Waresky,  you did see where Steve said to use spoiler codes for the short term...right?   :roll:

Offline laz

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 06:32:10 PM »
Thanks Steve

Interesting addition to the mix, wouldn't mind but it totally trashed my new conventional game  :shock:

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 04:16:20 AM »
sincerely am not totally convicted to the new phenomena utility.
Or "background" history for those new features.

my 2 cents.

In fact for my simple point of view r more than others features to better views or revised : Army management for first.

:roll:

again: my 2 cents:D

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:07:29 PM »
Quote from: "laz"
Thanks Steve

Interesting addition to the mix, wouldn't mind but it totally trashed my new conventional game  :)

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Thanks Steve

Interesting addition to the mix, wouldn't mind but it totally trashed my new conventional game  :)

I almost put this in the suggestions thread where I asked for an "NPR delay", but I'll put it here.  I actually still don't have a good idea of the precise characteristics of the new phenomenon, but the "starts off slow" above hits a "suspension of disbelief" issue that was already nagging me.  The basic idea is that [spoiler:8d78mbxz]the odds of aliens visiting Earth at the exact decade in human history that we go intersteller are riduculously small, unless there were some sort of "trigger" event.  It occurs to me that 1st transit out of the solar system would make a really good trigger.  So this is an alternate idea - set "day 0" for NPR calculations (including possibly for "existing NPR") to the timestamp of the first player wormhole transit.  You could make up some technobabble about a detectable signal in the warp point network if you wanted....  This should probably be an optional behavior.  I wouldn't be too concerned about players "forting up" in their system to delay NPR, since they'll probably run out of minerals that way, plus there's the "Aurora doesn't prevent cheating at Solitaire" effect.[/spoiler:8d78mbxz]

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 02:06:37 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Thanks Steve

I almost put this in the suggestions thread where I asked for an "NPR delay", but I'll put it here.  I actually still don't have a good idea of the precise characteristics of the new phenomenon, but the "starts off slow" above hits a "suspension of disbelief" issue that was already nagging me.  The basic idea is that [spoiler:1iq7k8dp]the odds of aliens visiting Earth at the exact decade in human history that we go intersteller are riduculously small, unless there were some sort of "trigger" event.  It occurs to me that 1st transit out of the solar system would make a really good trigger.  So this is an alternate idea - set "day 0" for NPR calculations (including possibly for "existing NPR") to the timestamp of the first player wormhole transit.  You could make up some technobabble about a detectable signal in the warp point network if you wanted....  This should probably be an optional behavior.  I wouldn't be too concerned about players "forting up" in their system to delay NPR, since they'll probably run out of minerals that way, plus there's the "Aurora doesn't prevent cheating at Solitaire" effect.[/spoiler:1iq7k8dp]
[spoiler:1iq7k8dp]The aliens aren't specifically targeting Earth - they are picking one or more random systems. With a conventional start, if they pick one of your systems, rather than an NPR system, before you have begun exploring, it will be Sol. Having said that, I do like the idea of counting from the first jump point exploration. The only downside is that would require a database change to store the information. I'll see if I can find an existing unused field to use instead.[/spoiler:1iq7k8dp]

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »
I can't find an easy way to easily implement the suggestion about jump exploration without a DB change. However, as it is only a minor change I will include a data update in v5.14.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »
[spoiler:2hm6zshk]The aliens aren't specifically targeting Earth - they are picking one or more random systems. With a conventional start, if they pick one of your systems, rather than an NPR system, before you have begun exploring, it will be Sol. Having said that, I do like the idea of counting from the first jump point exploration. The only downside is that would require a database change to store the information. I'll see if I can find an existing unused field to use instead.[/spoiler:2hm6zshk]
[spoiler:2hm6zshk]Cool.  You'll probably think of this "gotcha" but I thought I'd mention it just in case....  The game I was playing had zero NPR at start, since in previous games the "original" NPR ended up essentially building a big empty jump gate network spanning 10s of systems and cleaning out all the precursors in those systems during the 15-20 years it took me to get into space.  So the "gotcha" is a conventional start with no NPR, i.e. no legal selection for a random inhabited system before 1st transit.[/spoiler:2hm6zshk]

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 03:38:51 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
[spoiler:3ctj9tx4]The aliens aren't specifically targeting Earth - they are picking one or more random systems. With a conventional start, if they pick one of your systems, rather than an NPR system, before you have begun exploring, it will be Sol. Having said that, I do like the idea of counting from the first jump point exploration. The only downside is that would require a database change to store the information. I'll see if I can find an existing unused field to use instead.[/spoiler:3ctj9tx4]
[spoiler:3ctj9tx4]Cool.  You'll probably think of this "gotcha" but I thought I'd mention it just in case....  The game I was playing had zero NPR at start, since in previous games the "original" NPR ended up essentially building a big empty jump gate network spanning 10s of systems and cleaning out all the precursors in those systems during the 15-20 years it took me to get into space.  So the "gotcha" is a conventional start with no NPR, i.e. no legal selection for a random inhabited system before 1st transit.[/spoiler:3ctj9tx4]
[spoiler:3ctj9tx4]I have set up a variable that tracks the exact time a player race first explores a jump point. For purposes of wormhole and alien arrival, that time is treated as the game start time. So until a player moves out of the Sol system, no aliens or wormholes will appear anywhere. After that point, the threat will start to increase[/spoiler:3ctj9tx4]

Steve

Offline AndonSage

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 02:33:09 AM »
Steve,

Any chance that the new feature could be an option in the Create New Game screen, please?

The reason is: [spoiler:3pg49jy9]I'm still just trying to learn the mechanics, and additional combat from invading aliens doesn't make that easier, hehe.[/spoiler:3pg49jy9]
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 12:12:11 PM »
Quote from: "AndonSage"
Steve,

Any chance that the new feature could be an option in the Create New Game screen, please?

The reason is: [spoiler:1p5eekvi]I'm still just trying to learn the mechanics, and additional combat from invading aliens doesn't make that easier, hehe.[/spoiler:1p5eekvi]
[spoiler:1p5eekvi]I wanted to avoid an obvious switch off as it would spoil the surprise. However, if you turn off Precursors that will also turn off the new aliens as well[/spoiler:1p5eekvi]

Steve

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 11:27:02 AM »
Steve.
Read carefully please.

We have new "friends" around ok?
ive another NOT good friends contact in nearest system

MY Squadroon CANT set in AUTOMATIC (am NOT will for not lead Humanity in a stupid WAR with GOOD friends) Fire..BECAUSE r a high possibility who "GOOD" friends..intercept my Squadroon way..between "BAD" friends route..and so..OUR Admiral become crazy to check every single contact and select WHAT r GOOD ..and what r BAD.

Absolutely nightmare.

do u understand what the Hell situation goes ur new Phenomena?
ops.: :mrgreen: