Author Topic: Nebulas  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Nebulas
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:48:32 AM »
New for v2.6 will be Nebulas!

These appear as a normal system, albeit with a paler background, and will have a single protostar at the centre. The protostar itself will be based on a main sequence star or red dwarf and will have a greater diamater and lower luminosity than its main sequence equivalent. Some protostars will be close to ignition, in which case they will be close to their eventual equivalent in terms of size and luminosity while others may be in the early stages of star formation and might be huge with a very low luminosity. The dust cloud surrounding each protostar (the Nebula) will extend for trillions of kilometers in all directions (if you are in the system you are in the Nebula) and will have a specific dust density, referred to as the Nebula Leve). For early protostars the dust density will be much higher than for those close to ignition.

The Nebula Level will be generated as 1-5 and then a loop will begin where there is a 50% chance to either add D5 more levels or exit. So 50% of Nebulas will be 1D5 Nebulas, 25% will be 2D5, 12.5% will be 3D5, etc.

All Nebulas prevent the use of shields and missiles. Beyond that, the Nebula Level has several effects

1) Max ship speed is (10000/Nebula Level ) * Armour Thickness. For example, a ship with armour thickness 1 in a Level 5 Nebula, will have a maximum speed of 10000/5 * 1 = 2000 km/s. If the armour was thickness 2, the top speed would be 4000 km/s. Note that missiles with armour still won't function in a Nebula as the armour is ablative and designed for use against lasers.

2) Passive Sensor strengths are divided by the Nebula Level. For example, a Strength-12 Thermal sensor in a Level 6 nebula would function like a Strength-2 Thermal Sensor

3) Active Sensor Ranges are divided by the Nebula Level. For example, an active sensor with a range of 30 million kilometers in a Level 10 Nebula, would have a range of 3 million kilometers.

4) The chance to hit for all beam fire control systems is divided by the Nebula Level. For example, if a fire control has a 60% chance to hit after all other factors have been considered, that will be reduced to 15% in a Level 4 Nebula or 5% in a level 12 Nebula. It's assumed that beam weapons are powerful enough to ignore the dust with little effect but getting their fire control to lock on the target is the tricky part.

Fighting in Nebulas will be a case of trying to find your opponent, probably at close range, and then using your still powerful beam weapons with heavily degraded fire control against a shieldless target. And yes, I did enjoy Wrath of Khan :)

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
Re: Nebulas
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 12:44:09 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
New for v2.6 will be Nebulas!

These appear as a normal system, albeit with a paler background, and will have a single protostar at the centre.

Will there be proto-planets with potentially easier to access minerals?  Gives a good reason to fight in such a nasty place.

<snip>
And yes, I did enjoy Wrath of Khan :)

Me too
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Shinanygnz »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Nebulas
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:21:17 PM »
Quote from: "Shinanygnz"
Will there be proto-planets with potentially easier to access minerals?  Gives a good reason to fight in such a nasty place.

There is a chance of planets, although I had set it quite low because they wouldn't have formed yet in most cases. However, I like the idea of a small number of mineral rich proto-planets so I will modify the planet generation code accordingly.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 02:02:04 PM »
I have changed the planet/mineral generation code to handle nebulae differently. Protostars will generally have a low number of orbital shells, certainly no more than six, over half of which will be asteroid belts, representing material that has not yet coalesced into planets. The rest will be chunks, gas giants and an occasional rare terrestrial size world. These system bodies will generally have more minerals at higher accessibilities then normal.

Steve

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:59:22 AM »
3) Active Sensor Ranges are divided by the Nebula Level. For example, an active sensor with a range of 30 million kilometers in a Level 10 Nebula, would have a range of 3 million kilometers.

Shouldn't this be a larger reduction factor? Given that the signal has to travel 2x through the dust?

So maybe 4x reduction?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Randy »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:18:43 AM »
Quote from: "Randy"

Shouldn't this be a larger reduction factor? Given that the signal has to travel 2x through the dust? So maybe 4x reduction?

That is a good point but I setup the dust levels for the amount of sensor reduction I wanted. I guess I should change the blurb to dividing sensor effectiveness by every 2 levels but given the return as well ends up being divided by the Nebula level

Steve

Offline kdstubbs

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • k
Nebulas
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 09:57:42 AM »
Steve,
     Great idea, however, only six planetary shells?  Should that not be much higher--depending upon density of the shells.  As the Nebula moves toward star formation the nebula coalesces around the ecliptic, and until very late stages, dust levels would be lower above and below the ecliptic.    
      I think you would you would find in most cases dozens of orbital shells in yound nebulas, gradually shrinking in number as the higher density orbitals attracted dust and gasses away from less dense regions, It would be a difficult coding issue--I imagine--but I would like to see more that six asteroid fields, and even small protoplanets, especially as Gas Giants form.

Thanks

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by kdstubbs »
Kevin Stubbs

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 11:06:55 PM »
How about making the nebula be a field that the SM can change.  This way if the SM wants a setup where several linked systems were all in a nebula then they could do it.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Brian »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 05:42:37 AM »
Quote from: "Brian"
How about making the nebula be a field that the SM can change.  This way if the SM wants a setup where several linked systems were all in a nebula then they could do it.

Its not as straightforward as that because the fact it is a nebula will affect the whole system generation process. What might be possible though is to have a Generate Nebula option as well as a Generate System option for the System View window. I'll see what I can do along those lines.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 05:53:51 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "Brian"
Its not as straightforward as that because the fact it is a nebula will affect the whole system generation process. What might be possible though is to have a Generate Nebula option as well as a Generate System option for the System View window. I'll see what I can do along those lines.

I have removed the Generate System button and added Create System and Create Nebula buttons to the SM section on the System View window.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 08:03:42 AM »
I have added some code so that when exploring from a Nebula system there is a 50% chance of the next system will also be a Nebula of the same dust density. This will create Nebulas spanning multiple star systems, making them a feature of a region of space rather than an occasional system.

Steve

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 06:06:10 AM »
1) Max ship speed is (10000/Nebula Level ) * Armour Thickness. For example, a ship with armour thickness 1 in a Level 5 Nebula, will have a maximum speed of 10000/5 * 1 = 2000 km/s.

Steve - has the above formula changed in 3.1? The level 25 nebula I found had a max velocity of 100km/s, not 400km/s.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IanD »
IanD

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 05:09:19 PM »
Probably, given that armour ratings have been multiplied by four.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Father Tim »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »
Quote from: "IanD"
1) Max ship speed is (10000/Nebula Level ) * Armour Thickness. For example, a ship with armour thickness 1 in a Level 5 Nebula, will have a maximum speed of 10000/5 * 1 = 2000 km/s.

Steve - has the above formula changed in 3.1? The level 25 nebula I found had a max velocity of 100km/s, not 400km/s.

Yes I changed it when the armour system changed. Level 4 armour is now equal to level 1 armour before the changes so I made a corresponding change to nebulas.

Steve