Author Topic: Ships of 1st Century Sidon, the Millennium-Class Jump Ship  (Read 2072 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
The Millennium-Class Jump Ship:
-------------------------------------

Code: [Select]
Millennium class Jump Ship    750,000 tons     11890 Crew     69342.5 BP      TCS 15000  TH 18750  EM 270
2500 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 3-735     Shields 9-150     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1000     PPV 0
Maint Life 1.72 Years     MSP 57805    AFR 4498%    IFR 62.5%    1YR 23765    5YR 356468    Max Repair 3466 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 18 months    Flight Crew Berths 3716   
Hangar Deck Capacity 300000 tons     Troop Capacity: 8 Battalions   

Class 750000 GP Jump Drive [Basic]     Max Ship Size 750000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
Stardrive Hyper-Efficiency Drive (75)    Power 500    Fuel Use 4.42%    Signature 250    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 25,000,000 Litres    Range 135.7 billion km   (628 days at full power)
Naval Defensive Energy Shield System [Basic] (6)   Total Fuel Cost  45 Litres per hour  (1,080 per day)

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

--- Built by Behemoth Shipworks on Sidon and grossing 750,000 Tonnes (:o), the Millennium-Class Jump Ship is the largest vessel in the Fleet Arm by a long margin. The class boasts but one ship, the Confederate Service Ship (C.S.S.) Millenium. The class was named after it's intended mission; that being to transport one thousand colonists one thousand times over in just one trip. The Millennium-Class carriages 10 Rimward-Class Cryo Trays allowing it to fit a whopping 1,000,000 brave Sidonians into it's cavernous belly.

--- As for design specs; the C.S.S. Millennium utilizes a revolutionary Artificial Gravity System which affords it's crew a ride so stable, one would think it was a floating continent. A spacious Bridge (Five Modules, or 250 Tonnes worth) take advantage of this, as well as the Millennium's 8 Troop Transport Bays. Crew Berths include nominal recreational facilities; the extent of which include a cafe area, mini-park replete with benches, artificial grass, a fountain and so much more; among other amenities. Her Bridge incorporates dedicated positions for the command, control and communication aspects of her 3 on-board Marine Battalions as well as her single Construction Brigade. Although the Millennium-Class' accommodations could be seen as... excessive, the ship's tonnage is otherwise fully allocated to it's engines, their fuel, the massive 300,000 Tonne Hangar Deck which serves as it's mission tonnage, and space for the Fleet Arm's Engineering Corps to keep all of it Space-Worthy (aka NOT full o' holes).

--- The Millennium-Class is propelled to a not insignificant maximum speed of 2,500 km/s by a set of 75 Stardrive Hyper-Efficiency Drives, while a basic, General Purpose Class 750000 Jump Drive is used to hurtle it through the temporal butt holes which serve as the universe's very own highway system. 25,000,000 litres of Naval-Grade Sorium-enriched fuel give it roughly a year and half's worth of flight as well as serving to power the ship's six basic Naval Defensive Energy Shield Systems. With a year and three quarters worth of Life Support provisions this gives the Millennium-Class the ability to go just about anywhere with confidence.

--- Now the hull of a Millennium is built using three layers of Duranium-based Ceramic Composite Armor and engineered according to a proprietary composite pattern which utilizes the craft's Ceramic Composite Armor in the form of a monocoque shell for the base of construction. A structural system is then integrated into the armored shell before being reinforced with another layer of the armor. This composite structure forms the full "hull" and is by itself sufficient for operations; it is at this point that the vessel is built out with crew, life support, engines and the like before the third and final layer of Ceramic Composite Armor is applied to the outside of the ship.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Ships of 1st Century Sidon, the Millennium-Class Jump Ship
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 09:47:57 AM »
It's beautiful.  Terrifying, but beautiful.  I think I could park my entire navy inside it's hangar at the same time.

At first, I assumed it mounted an Orbital Habitat or two that it might be manufactured with planetary industry.  Doing so would leave only, what, 50,000 tons for the hangar bay?

I shudder to think what happens when nasties start shooting at it.

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 01:03:29 PM »
@Father Tim

Yeah, it's not meant to be shot at really, rather the defenses are there so that it MIGHT hold out until the cavalry arrives.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »
That requires a lot of maintenance capacity.  And it is kind of slow.  There are a lot of things on it that really should be on a commercial ship instead, like the jump engine, troop transports and most of its tankerage.  It is kind of hard to evaluate since the engine name disguises what engine tier tech you have.

That 'max repair' is for the jump engine, isn't it?  Take the jump engine off, and the expected maintenance life of that thing will jump a lot, because the odds of a maintenance failure being THAT expensive will be lower.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »
@Michael Sandy

The power/propulsion tech is Tokomak Fusion w/ Internal Confinement Drive; using I believe 0.5 or 0.3 liters per power hour consumption tech and 50% Thermal Reduction Tech.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 02:26:19 PM »
LOL.  Thermal reduction on that thing?  Why?  It will be detected billions of km away by any thermal sensor anyway.  You would be better off splitting up its role and getting smaller ships with lower effective signature, and saving the massive gallicite expense of those engines.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 02:30:41 PM »
@Michael Sandy

It's just the engine I had lying around. I try to reuse stuff as much as possible.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 02:36:34 PM »
I never understand why people always insist on splitting up the roles of ridiculous ships like this, like I am pretty sure Xenoscepter knows there are other ways to do the things this ship does, but they wanted to make a monstrosity and by god they went and did it, for this I salute them.

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »
@Panopticon

I agree there are always better ways to do things, the Rimward-Class Cryo Trays are quite sensibly designed as 30,000 Tonne engineless pods and are meant to be tugged. The Millennium-Class is designed to be a Jump Capable 300,000 Ton Hangar Deck, because why make sensible, boring ships when you can do things inefficiently with style. 8)

I just went for 750,000 Tonnes because my OCD demands nice looking numbers. ;D That, and there isn't really any good way to build a 300,000 Tonne Hangar Deck... le sigh

Interesting note, all of my commercial and military freighters, tankers, assault transports and troop ferries are 30,000 Tonnes and NOT Jump Capable. I don't have Jump Gates mostly for RP reasons which I'll flesh out at some point in the future, so the Millennium-Class serves as a Jump Ship for ten of these 30,000 Tonne beasts at a time.

And since there isn't any good way to make a 300,000 Tonne Hangar Deck in 7.2 Aurora in the first place, making that 300,000 Ton Hangar Deck Jump Capable is even harder. Yeah, there are a lot of better ways of accomplishing the tasks that a 300,000 Tonne Hangar Deck can, but none of them are a 300,000 Tonne Hangar Deck. And at the end of the day, the Millennium-Class is really about strapping a Jump Drive onto a 300,000 Tonne Hangar Deck! :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:51:34 PM by xenoscepter »

The following users thanked this post: Panopticon