Author Topic: Alternate Default Orders  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Cetai Zahl (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
Alternate Default Orders
« on: March 14, 2011, 01:00:52 PM »
Forgive me if this has been said before or if there's already a work around.  Basically, I use combination geological/gravitational survey ships with primary orders of 'Survey Next Five System Bodies' and secondary default orders of 'Survey Next Three System Locations'.  This works fine for surveying system bodies, but once it runs out it triggers an 'orders not possible' message every time it finishes surveying three JP Survey locations.

My suggestion is just to make it so that if a ship cannot perform its primary default orders then have it perform its secondary default orders, and shunt the secondary orders into the primary slot so that it doesn't display a 'Cannot Perform Orders' message every few days.  Of course this might conflict with some other forms of default orders I'm not thinking of, so perhaps add a check box for this option.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Alternate Default Orders
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 01:44:20 PM »
That's pretty much working as intended. You get the "Orders not possible" because the primary is not possible, then it executes the secondary (if any). If both are not possible, you will get two of the event log messages.

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:08:48 PM »
Forgive me if this has been said before or if there's already a work around.  Basically, I use combination geological/gravitational survey ships with primary orders of 'Survey Next Five System Bodies' and secondary default orders of 'Survey Next Three System Locations'.  This works fine for surveying system bodies, but once it runs out it triggers an 'orders not possible' message every time it finishes surveying three JP Survey locations.

My suggestion is just to make it so that if a ship cannot perform its primary default orders then have it perform its secondary default orders, and shunt the secondary orders into the primary slot so that it doesn't display a 'Cannot Perform Orders' message every few days.  Of course this might conflict with some other forms of default orders I'm not thinking of, so perhaps add a check box for this option.

This is working as intended. I am not sure that swapping the default orders around would be a good idea. For example, if someone had Survey Next System Body as the primary order and Move to Entry jump point as the secondary, you would never want those to be reversed. As to the 'orders not possible' event, it needs to be an interrupt so you can deal with it if necessary. It isn't really possible to not issue the event when there is a secondary order for several reasons. The default orders code doesn't know whether it is handling a primary or secondary and even if it did know the order was a primary, it wouldn't know at that point whether there was a secondary order involved and if that would be possible. It is all handled in a linear way.

Steve

Offline Cetai Zahl (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »
I did not mean to imply it was working incorrectly, simply making a suggestion on how to avoid some annoyance in trying to automate a bit of the exploration process.

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »
I did not mean to imply it was working incorrectly, simply making a suggestion on how to avoid some annoyance in trying to automate a bit of the exploration process.

Suggestions are always good :). I was just trying to explain why there wasn't an easy solution. If I think of a way to make this work more smoothly I'll get back to you on it. In the meantime, you could just unset the primary default order until the grav survey is done if the event messages get annoying.

Steve