Author Topic: Changing setup options  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Changing setup options
« on: October 20, 2015, 11:22:21 AM »
I know that some of the game options can be changed after you load up an existing game, for example you could start a game with none of the spoilers then decide you want to add them in (but not take away). But does this apply to all the check box options for the load up screen where you select which campaign your wanting? I tried to add the checkbox for no overhauls as the maintenance side of things was getting silly with micromanagement. I figured it probably will only work with new ships, so I designed a test ship that was made up of just military engines to the stage of an AFR of 4000%.

After spawning one of these ships in sol I carried on the game as normal. However after 11.54 months floating free in deep space, this ship just had a maintenance failure on one of the drives. I was under the impression that aside from crew morale issues it should be able to sit in one space for eternity. Can you not add the no overhauls option to an existing game?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Changing setup options
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 11:28:28 AM »
That design did have 4000% chance of failure every year, so about 40 failures a year, yet only had 1 failure in a whole year. I would say it is working and that something else caused the problem, however I believe some checkboxes can't be rechecked after game start. Did you enter your SM password and click save?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:55:44 AM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »
Seems I forgot to hit the save button the first try round...... Second time though I have spawned a new 27k% AFR ship and it seems to be working just fine, including now showing as 0% AFR on the individual ship screen. So you can add no overhauls to an existing game it seems. As I did suspect though all prebuilt ships do show their normal design AFR, but I will have to wait and see if they actually have any failures.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:14:42 PM »
Don't worry too much about the annual failure rate for really large ships. If a ship is 10x as big it will have 10x as many failures so a high AFR is normal. The important stat is the maintenance life.