Author Topic: Difference between Missile and AAM?  (Read 3342 times)

Offline plasticpanzers (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • p
Difference between Missile and AAM?
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:55:36 PM »
I am trying to design my first Antimissle missiles but don't quite know how to go about it.   How to you design them,
build them (I imagine on the Ordinance build function) mount them and target them on enemy missile (or auto defence
if there is one).  thanks!!!   Everything I have attempted just looks like a smaller but not small enough missle and is still
antiship.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Difference between Missile and AAM?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 08:21:24 PM »
You design an equip them just like you do with normal missiles. The only difference is how you design them. What you want for a normal missile is damage vs cost efficiency however for a anti-missile missile speed is indeed key. Some tips; You want 1 damage on it (best way for size is take 1 and divide by missile damage per msp), They don't need to be long range (most are under 1.0m km but there are long range variants people use), A tiny active sensor may be helpful as they give a second hit chance, The rest is pure engine (max power) up to a total missile size of 1 MSP.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 09:19:16 PM »
this is how i do it.

-Make sure SM mode is on.
-AMMs are a size 1 missile.  They can be used for AMM and ASM.
-It can be confusing at first, but gets easier as you figure them out.  Lots of trial and error.

Build a basic Missile engine, size .5 MSP

Best engine tech (Nuclear Pulse)
Max engine power (EPx2.5)
Best fuel consumption (0.8 )

Missile design screen:

Engine:  0.5 MSP nuclear pulse engine
Warhead strength: .25 MSP, to create a value 1 warhead.
Fuel capacity: 0.01
Agility: 0.24

Gives me a 1 MSP AMM @ 10000 km/s with a 18% chance to hit @ 10k km/s.  Range:9.5m km

or

Engine:  .74 MSP Engine
Warhead:  .25
Fuel Cap:  0.01
Agility: 0

Gives me a 1MSP AMM @ 14800 km/s with a 14.8% chance to hit @ 10 km/s.  Range 12.3m km.

Missiles created will need to be researched or instanced in via SM.  Then built in your ordinance factory's.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »
Expanding on Mastik's and my tips; At Magnetic Confinement Fusion I get something like the following design when I try to design a AMM.

Engine: 0.76 MSP (4.00x power modifier)
Warhead: 0.125 (to get 1 damage at 8 per msp)
Fuel: 0.004
Active Sensor: 0.053 and as a result a Reactor: 0.051
Agility: 0.003 (for filling the last bits)
And I get this;
Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 11
Speed: 76000 km/s    Engine Endurance: 0 minutes   Range: 2.1m km
Active Sensor Strength: 0.1272   Sensitivity Modifier: 80%
Resolution: 1    Maximum Range vs 50 ton object (or larger): 10 000 km
Cost Per Missile: 1.4149
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 836%   3k km/s 275%   5k km/s 167.2%   10k km/s 83.6%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   0.0765x Boronide   0.1272x Uridium   0.9612x Gallicite   Fuel x10

Development Cost for Project: 141RP
Notes; while normal missiles usually use a similar engine for a general purpose (depends on player), it is best to custom design your engine to fill the missile. Easy way to do this is first go to the design page and add estimated the warhead, fuel, and any additional (like sensors or armor), then design your engine to get the total missile size to as close to 1 as possible (mine was 0.237 without engine so made a 0.76 size to = 0.997). Then you add the remaining tiny amount as agility or fuel (hence the 0.003 agility added on).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 10:11:05 PM »
How does your ship know to fire it at a missile and not another ship?  BTW thanks for the help!!

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »
2 ways (can be done multiple places);

1) Select an incoming missile as your FC's target and hit Open Fire. (Combat Overview window) Make sure your launchers are assigned to a FC and missiles are assigned to the launchers.
2)Set a point defense mode for your FCs. (Combat Overview window, Ships window) To do this you select the number of amms launched per target missile as well as the range in 10,000s of km (1=10,000 and 5=50,000). Also the above stated make sure of your assignments.

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 10:39:50 PM »
Thanks!  Much clearer.   Here is my Shrike PD Missile design

1.751 MSP
WH 1
4600 kp/s
14.5km range
chance to hit 68/13/12/6
Manuever rating 13

Only other question is how the ship is to know which missile is for AM fire and which one is for AS fire?  I see a listing in the ship FC for AMM fire
but again how do you assign different missiles in your magazines to different targets?   EDIT:  comes the dawn!  I see on the ordinance page!

That adequate for a beginner missle you think?   Again many thanks for the responses!!   50 years of gaming (and in computers
started with the 8088 processor!) but this is a totally new and quite remarkable game system!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:45:52 PM by plasticpanzers »

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 12:51:50 AM »
Your AMM should be exactly 1 MSP. 

I think you have the warhead wrong.  There are 2 columns; left column is MSP, right column is Value.  You want the Value of your AMM warhead to be 1.

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 01:21:37 AM »
I don't think AMM's have to be strictly 1 MSP all the time. Early game if you really need decent AMM capabilities you may need the extra space afforded by using size 2 missiles, and later on with high tech it might be worth playing with smaller missiles, eg 0.5 MSP AMM's as submunitions on larger missile buses.
Size 1 is just what is considered the optimum for most circumstances due mostly (I think) to the fact that the smallest missile launcher that you can design is for size 1 missiles, and for AMMs you really want to have that 5s rate of fire.

Outside of use in submunitions, you always want your missiles to have an integer MSP value. Again, this comes from the fact that missile launchers can only be designed to launch integer missile sizes. A size 1.001 missile can only be launched from launchers size 2 and upwards, whereas a similar 1 MSP (exact) missile will have almost identical characteristics but will have improved rate of fire due to being able to be launched from a size 1 launcher.

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 01:24:45 AM »
Not trying to seem dense but are there two MSP ratings?   One for missile strength point and one of missile size point?
I have on the Shrike a warhead of .05 with a value of 1
warhead 1  maneuver 15 armor 0
.001 fuel (more than enough for the range for a pd missile of 11.5m km) and .025 agility
engine is a nuc pulse .4 with a 4600 kps speed
the missle size is 1.751 (0.08755 HS) and fits in my size 2 PD missile launcher

I have not been able yet to get anything smaller in size than this 1.751 size missile so far.   
question is will it work as an AMM?

again the help explaining is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 01:26:35 AM by plasticpanzers »

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 01:41:31 AM »
Alright, so when you're designing the missile you should see a screen with a bunch of design parameters and an overview of the missile's stats. The former should look something like this (obviously without the red box):

So all the values you enter in the fields within that red box (labelled MSP at the top) are effectively how much space (measured in MSP) that you will dedicate to the corresponding component.
On the other hand, the missile size that you get in the summary section is what the actual size of your missile is, which should be the sum of all the components that you put in your missile.

So when someone says they have 0.25 MSP warhead, that means they put 0.25 under the "Warhead strength" field in the above image. The size of your missile is what's written in the summary section (to reiterate what I said before).

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 02:13:51 AM »
Got that part ok
.05 warhead  value 1
0.001 fuel     value 2.5   4600 kps  42min fuel 11.5m k range
agility 0.25  value of 8

calculates as a 1.751 missile that i can name anything i suppose.
cost per missile  .51

perhaps the engine needs to be smaller or shorter ranged?
does the warhead have to have a warhead value of at least one to kill an incoming missile?

(sorry for delay.  wife took me away for an episode of 'duck patrol')
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:16:23 AM by plasticpanzers »

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 02:29:14 AM »
maybe this is closer

new engine .04

wh .05 value 1
fuel .001 value 2.5
agility .39
800 kps (alot slower than the shrike)
4.1m k range 86min fuel duration
chance to hit 18.4/0/3.7/1.8  (seems more effective to have someone on the hull with a baseball bat..but that just me)

final missile size .991 (EDIT: game won't allow it as it says missile size must be at least 1)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:33:37 AM by plasticpanzers »

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 02:39:07 AM »
I see (again alot of stuff does not appear until you do it right) in that when i finally balance all the stuff to a 1.00 missile
size it says anti missile missile.  duh me.

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 02:44:26 AM »
I think i have it now

Scorpion AMM

msp .5  warhead 1
fuel .001 value 2.5
agil .39   value 12.48
.04 NP engine
800kps  4.4 hours  41.5m km range
terrible accuracy tho 17.6/0/3.5/1.8

shows as a missle size of 1 and the calculator says its an antimissile missle.

at least a start?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:47:30 AM by plasticpanzers »