Author Topic: Energy weapons & atmospheres  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Energy weapons & atmospheres
« on: September 25, 2015, 04:37:10 AM »
I understand how energy weapons are unable to penetrate any atmosphere of 1 or more, and how their damage drops off for <1. I was though under the impression that meson beams ignored this and thus could be used, however when I am trying to target some ground forces to soften things up before my own invasion arrives, I am met with a message that mesons are precision weapons and cannot target ground units or population. Does this mean then that the only time any beam weapon of any kind can be used with regards to planets if from a ground based PDC firing outwards at a ship using a meson?

If this is the case then will using size 1 missiles against ground units cause collateral damage to the population, infrastructure, and planet (rad & dust)?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Energy weapons & atmospheres
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 04:50:12 AM »
Yes on a planet with an atmosphere you can: fire mesons from PDCs on the planet or mesons from orbit at the PDCs on a planet.  If the planet lacks an atmosphere all weapons could be used to target a PDC (and it could use all weapons as well).  I don't think any starship energy/kinetic weapon can target ground troops though even if they were stationed on say a moon or comet, but I'm not sure.

In my AAR the NCN ended up developing mesons for planetary defence on planets with atmospheres, in game they are just atmosphere penetrating lasers so they are only used on certain classes of PDCs for point defence purposes.

I believe that all missiles cause collateral damage.  The amount varies with the warhead size.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:55:08 AM »
Ah I see so meson can only target what could be classed as big things such as ships, PDC's, shipyards. Thus unless I am willing to accept collateral damage and radiation the only way to hit ground troops is with my own ground troops?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 06:20:19 AM »
If you don't want to deal with the effects of nuclear bombardment on the planet your only option is "boots on the ground."  This is a deliberate design decision.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 06:27:06 AM »
If you don't want to deal with the effects of nuclear bombardment on the planet your only option is "boots on the ground."  This is a deliberate design decision.

Ah I see, I did think it could of made for some lightning fast invasions but I'll save the ride of the valkyries for another day then.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 07:23:50 AM »
The mesons not being able to work on ground troops was a change made recently.  It used to work that way, for balance as mentioned.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 07:41:17 AM »
I recall a while ago finding some unusual behaviour with beam weapons targeting populations, I'll see if I can find the post.
...: ok, I found lasers able to do full damage to ground PDCs despite the same lasers only being able to manage 1 point at installations or ground forces. In addition laser warheads always do full damage, completely ignoring atmosphere. They also penetrate final defensive fire consistently, the wavelength might have some bearing on if it works though, I think a test with CIWS that had longer range than the lasers caused them to be shot down.
I don't recall if laser warheads generate dust and radiation though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:42:54 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:31:14 AM »
Slightly related, but when you are in a situation where you have less than 1 atmosphere, you are obviously able to use all the beam weapons with a possible damage drop off. Do beam weapons also cause duct and radiation damage? and are they able to target just ground troops or do they simply hit everything with collateral spread?