Author Topic: How to make ground units in C#  (Read 9172 times)

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
How to make ground units in C#
« on: April 12, 2020, 11:10:23 AM »
EDIT2:

now in a better video format with voice:

EDIT: now in video format:

Step 1.

Open Ground Forces tab - the icon is the AT-AT walker. Then select the Unit Class Design tab.

Step 2.

Select base unit type. The options here depend on whether you're doing conventional or TN tech and how much you have researched.

Step 3.

Select the armour type. Options depend on the tech you have and what base you selected.

Step 4.

Select component type. This is the main purpose of the unit. If you're making a Medium Vehicle or heavier, note the extra component drop-down menus at the bottom!

Step 5.

Give your unit a name - this can be as simple as "Basic Soldier" or as complex as "Type-78 Main Battle Tank B-12". Then click Create and the game gives you a confirmation pop-up.

Step 6.

Go to the research window and research your unit.

I have my GC scientist Flyn Temetor already researching Geosurvey Equipment so I'm adding Type-78 Main Battle Tank B-12 to his queue.

Step 7.

Once the research is completed, you can make the ground unit formation. Go back to the Ground Forces window and select Formation Templates tab.

On the left, you see all unit classes you've created. On the left are all your formation templates.

Click New at the middle bottom to make a new formation template. Then just select the unit classes you want in your formation and click the Add Units button at the bottom. You can change the amount of units added by writing a new number next to it instead of the default 10. There is no need to save the template, it gets updated automatically.

Step 7.

Go to GU Training tab on the Economics window.

Select the formation template you want to build from the lower list. Then click Create Task. Your formation will get a default name and will be shown at the upper list.

Step 8.

once the formation template has been built, it'll show up in your Order of Battle and now you can assign a commander to it!

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:28:08 PM by Garfunkel »

The following users thanked this post: largotuek, Cavgunner, SpikeTheHobbitMage, bro918, RagnarVaren, Rye123, unkfester

Offline non sequitur

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
Re: How to make ground units in C#
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 12:02:39 PM »
this may be dense, but when it comes to HQ capacity, what am I aiming for? The number of units in the formation?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 12:17:34 PM »
this may be dense, but when it comes to HQ capacity, what am I aiming for? The number of units in the formation?

Tonnage of those units.

So, yeah, weirdly it's easier to command 30 infantry than one super-heavy tank.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:56:25 PM by Father Tim »

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, non sequitur

Offline firsal

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • f
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 12:49:57 PM »
Could I use multiple HQ units in one formation to beef up its capacity, or would I need to research HQs with higher tonnage capacity?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 12:56:02 PM »
Could I use multiple HQ units in one formation to beef up its capacity, or would I need to research HQs with higher tonnage capacity?

You're supposed to be able to use multiple HQ components, but there's a post in the bugs thread about them not stacking and only the first one listed counting.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, firsal

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 12:57:23 PM »
You can modify the capacity of HQ unit. Just click the green "1000" and type in what you want. If you're making a complex Order of Battle, remember that higher HQs must be big enough to cover lower HQs, not just the intermediate units.

For example, I have a Company, Battalion, and Regiment HQs. The Company HQ is obvious - it needs to cover the company. The Battalion HQ must encompass all the companies plus any extra units at the Battalion level. Then the Regiment HQ must encompass all the battalions plus support units.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, firsal

Offline firsal

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • f
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 01:05:16 PM »
You can modify the capacity of HQ unit. Just click the green "1000" and type in what you want. If you're making a complex Order of Battle, remember that higher HQs must be big enough to cover lower HQs, not just the intermediate units.

For example, I have a Company, Battalion, and Regiment HQs. The Company HQ is obvious - it needs to cover the company. The Battalion HQ must encompass all the companies plus any extra units at the Battalion level. Then the Regiment HQ must encompass all the battalions plus support units.

Ah, I thought the 1000 was fixed and could only be upgraded via tech. Off to OOB making I go!  ;D

Offline Merlin_of_chaos

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 08:33:14 PM »
i'm wanting to make a xenoarcheology ground unit but i have no clue what to do for it do you have any suggestions

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 08:44:07 PM »
i'm wanting to make a xenoarcheology ground unit but i have no clue what to do for it do you have any suggestions
Research Xenoarcheology first.

Then design a light vehicle that carries the component and research it.

Design a formation that has 20 of them.

Build that formation and ship it to the ruins.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 05:11:12 AM »

this green bit... see link for screenshot thanks to d.rodin (I was trying to edit the other green text, which does edit but doesnt do anything... confused me  ???

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 11:20:24 AM »
Research Xenoarcheology first.

Then design a light vehicle that carries the component and research it.

Design a formation that has 20 of them.

Build that formation and ship it to the ruins.
Doesn't quite work: Xenoarchaeology gear (and geosurvey and construction gear too) only fit on medium or larger vehicles.

So build a medium vehicle with 2 of them and then ship however many of those. (That's a very big expensive unit. Don't let it get shot at.)

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 08:42:27 PM »
Four of these with one of the 1k HQ units below are exactly 1000 tons.  22 of these with the 5k HQ below works as well.  Geology teams use exactly the same sizes.  Construction vehicles are larger and need to be in larger formations to do anything useful.
Code: [Select]
Xeno 1
Transport Size (tons) 218     Cost 8.72     Armour 20     Hit Points 40
Annual Maintenance Cost 1.1     Resupply Cost 0
Xenoarchaeology Equipment:      Xenoarchaeology Points 0.5
Non-Combat Class

Vendarite  8.72   
Development Cost  436

Xeno HQ 1k
Transport Size (tons) 128     Cost 5.52     Armour 20     Hit Points 40
Annual Maintenance Cost 0.69     Resupply Cost 0
Headquarters:    Capacity 1,000
Non-Combat Class

Vendarite  5.52   
Development Cost  276

Xeno HQ 5k
Transport Size (tons) 143     Cost 8.72     Armour 20     Hit Points 40
Annual Maintenance Cost 1.1     Resupply Cost 0
Headquarters:    Capacity 5,000
Non-Combat Class

Vendarite  8.72   
Development Cost  436

Offline minnowguy

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • m
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »
So I've created a Xenoarchaeology unit and apparently I did something right since I now have thingies to recover.  The message says I need to deploy "Construction Brigades".  This seemed very specific and I assumed that a pre-designed unit like the "Civilian Garrison" would show up once I researched Construction Equipment. 

But no such luck and it looks like I'll need to design and build one.  Easy enough to add the equipment to a vehicle design.  But how many vehicles do I need to count as a Brigade? 20, so my unit is equivalent to a Construction Factory?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 01:22:42 AM »
That text is just remnant from previous VB6 version. You can make your construction brigade whatever size you want and you can also call it whatever you want. More vehicles will dig the installations faster but of course you need bigger ships to transport them and you need officer with better command potential (Ground Combat Command stat) as well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 01:24:55 AM by Black »