Author Topic: Nice surprise  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Hawkeye (OP)

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Nice surprise
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:18:46 AM »
In my latest campaign, I havn´t build any warships, as I didn´t have contact with aliens yet.
Then, in Kuiper 79 (2 jumps out from Sol), one of my survey ships gets destroyed by a hostile NPR (possibly Precursor)   :(
Well, it has happened before.
Survey Group No. 2 retreats to Sol to report the incident.
On their way, they cross 61 Cygni, where I have two small archeological digs.

2 weeks later, Cargo Group No. 1 (9 freighters, 1 jump freighter) shuttles automines to the two digs in 61 Gliese, when they detect three ships from those aliens at point blank range.
The aliens start ramming attacks, destroying all of my freighters and loosing one of their own in the process.   >:(
Oh hell! Ok, let´s start building a military and replace the freighters.

Then, out of nowhere, I get ground combat messages from 61 Cygni-B II (the larger of the two digs)
I start looking for robotic guardians, but no sign of them.
Darn, darn, darn! Those aliens apparently were troop transports!   :o

After three months of combat, I have lost three battalions, and the enemy is wiped out (18 alien assault infantry and marine battalions). Fortunately, they attacked on this site, where, after encountering robot guardians, I had droped an entire division with top notch leaders and several replacement battalions. The other dig would have fallen within a few weeks.

I wasn´t aware the NPRs would ground assault in 5.42. Ramping up troop training as much as possible while also building warhsps as fast as I can.
Econnomy is stretched to the limit, resources start to run low.

I love it!   ;D ;D
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
Re: Nice surprise
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:52:53 PM »
In my latest campaign, I havn´t build any warships, as I didn´t have contact with aliens yet.
Then, in Kuiper 79 (2 jumps out from Sol), one of my survey ships gets destroyed by a hostile NPR (possibly Precursor)   :(
Well, it has happened before.
Survey Group No. 2 retreats to Sol to report the incident.
On their way, they cross 61 Cygni, where I have two small archeological digs.

2 weeks later, Cargo Group No. 1 (9 freighters, 1 jump freighter) shuttles automines to the two digs in 61 Gliese, when they detect three ships from those aliens at point blank range.
The aliens start ramming attacks, destroying all of my freighters and loosing one of their own in the process.   >:(
Oh hell! Ok, let´s start building a military and replace the freighters.

Then, out of nowhere, I get ground combat messages from 61 Cygni-B II (the larger of the two digs)
I start looking for robotic guardians, but no sign of them.
Darn, darn, darn! Those aliens apparently were troop transports!   :o

After three months of combat, I have lost three battalions, and the enemy is wiped out (18 alien assault infantry and marine battalions). Fortunately, they attacked on this site, where, after encountering robot guardians, I had droped an entire division with top notch leaders and several replacement battalions. The other dig would have fallen within a few weeks.

I wasn´t aware the NPRs would ground assault in 5.42. Ramping up troop training as much as possible while also building warhsps as fast as I can.
Econnomy is stretched to the limit, resources start to run low.

I love it!   ;D ;D

I actually noticed a Precursor troop transport ship a week or two ago when I was fixing someone else's yoyo for him in designer mode (which reminds me - he never got his DB back).  The funny part is I remember thinking "Oh, I hadn't realized that Steve has a useless troop transport type for Precursors".  It didn't occur to me that they would actually be active.  Then when I saw the first post on this yesterday I thought "aha!!!  That sneaky devil!!"  I just wish I'd had one of them invade me before I noticed it on the board.  At present I think news of this is pretty well contained to spoilers - a good thing :)

John

Offline seinwave

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »
Oh phew, someone else encountered this. I posted a while back in the academy about what I thought was this, and I think everyone thought I was crazy.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 05:48:15 PM »
Interestingly I managed to get a capture a couple of these entirely accidentally a few days ago. They were apparently in orbit around a holding of an alien empire I was bombarding into surrender and their ships got included with the spoils, the aliens who surrendered were at ion drive level of tech and the transports were something like magnetic confinement so I knew something was up. Amusingly enough they were fully loaded with 7 battalions each, which I also got to take possession of.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 07:20:13 AM »

I love it!   ;D ;D

i love, forever, me too ..it

:)..
dastardly evil snake,Steve:)))))

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:54:08 AM »
I've dealt with this twice - the Precursors now also have a ship type capable of 14k + - I couldn't get it into fire range to slow it down....