Author Topic: Just found the game..a couple of questions (and praise!)  (Read 1774 times)

Offline athros (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • a
So.  .  .  this game haunts my dreams ;) It's freaking awesome.   Steve, thank you for putting your vision out here for people to download! It confuses me, and makes me work for every little victory, but it's worth every minute!

So, I've been playing (well, trying) and I finally started working on a game where I'm not going to restart at the first mistake, since I think I have the start of the game (first 30 or so days) down (what tabs to hit, things to get started, what tabs to look at, people to assign etc.   etc.   etc.  ) I also read a lot of posts, and I'm honestly confused by the missiles.   I haven't seen anything (and my search-fu is weak) as to how to design missiles, what to look for, what the magazines are for, and the like.   Is there some reference I'm missing? I've looked at the tutorials and didn't see anything.   

In the start I just did, I got.  .  .  1 scientist with 10%. . . Logistics/Ground, A5 which is good.   She's going to be busy for a long while (and since I don't know how to get more.  .  .  .  .  it's just her for now).   Of course, on the flip side, I have 2 commercial ship yards at 62000 with 2 slipways and 72000 with 1 slipway and 2 Naval shipyards with 11000 and 3 slipways, and 7000 with 2 slipways, so I'm not hurting that much (once I get the tech ;) ).   

Hopefully I get to go further in this game.   I love it, even when I can't figure things out, since I know the answers are there, somewhere.   
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:09:02 PM by athros »

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: Just found the game..a couple of questions (and praise!)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »
Ok missiles totally baffled me at first.  Go to the ship design thread and find my Snake Missile thread.

In short, when you design missiles, you have WARHEAD, ENGINES, FUEL, and AGILITY.

Don't worry about the rest, or that multistage stuff.  You'll get there eventually.  I'm not there yet.

Each interger you put in those boxes is 1 missile size point, or MSP.
So if from the list above, you put 0.25 in each of the boxes, you'll have a 1 MSP missile.

Now heres where I was really confused-- Just because you put a "1" in the warhead, that doesnt give you a "Warhead: 1" missile.  Your warhead technology improves Warhead value per MSP, so a more advanced warhead tech will give you a bigger "Warhead" value for the same amount of MSP.  Confused yet?

Early on your tech will be smege.  So don't worry about it too much.  From that snake missile thread, you can see that i had Hullspace and Missile Size confused for my first run, so I made an enormous missile that was totally pointless.

However, on the second page, my anti-missile-missle (highly agile, short range) is pretty good. 

You want your anti ship missiles, size 6 or size 4, to have reasonable range (~100 m km) and get there reasonably fast (30km/s) with some wiggle room in both directions.  Once you get your missle pretty much set up, you can dink up the agility and dink down the engine speed to improve the to hit.  I'm going after really fast aliens in my current game, their slow ships go 9km/s, so my missiles need good "to hit ratings"

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 11:21:52 PM »
In the start I just did, I got.  .  .  1 scientist with 10%. . . Logistics/Ground, A5 which is good.   She's going to be busy for a long while (and since I don't know how to get more.  .  .  .  .  it's just her for now).

You get more officers, administrators and scientists from Military Academies; 5 graduates per academy per year. This will happen throughout the year. What type you get is random.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:15:59 AM »
Yeah thats really important.  I thought something else and built 30 levels, now I have so many damn officers scientists and administrators that I really don't have a clue what to do with them all.

Offline Deoxy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:52:11 AM »
Well, you should get plenty with espionage skill... spy the ever-loving CRAP out of your neighbors, eh?  Losing a few teams along the way wouldn't hurt you any....

Offline athros (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • a
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:07:47 PM »
@Ziusudra: I built 2 Military Academies and I got another scientist. . . 25% bonus to. . Logistics/Ground.  Ah well, I'll take it.  Maybe a protege of the first. . . hmm. . .

Where are the save games, or the database stored? I'd like to copy it just in case I make a major mistake in the next few months.  I'm about to get freighters, load them with mass drivers and automated mines and send them to Venus, and, just in case I make a major mistake, I'd like something to go back to.

@Thiosk: Awesome reference.  That helps me out so much.  Thank you very much!

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Yeah, that happens.

The Stevefire.mdb file in the same folder as the Aurora.exe is what you want to backup.

Offline athros (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • a
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 08:41:26 PM »
Sweet.  Glad I won't need it :) I was worried about Mass Drivers, and how to get them to work. 

I'm writing all of this down so that maybe I can contribute to the tutorial.  Is there anyway to break a game out so that it could be attached to a tutorial? Like an already played game so that the tutorial could be written with that game?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 11:37:27 PM »
Where are the save games, or the database stored? I'd like to copy it just in case I make a major mistake in the next few months.  I'm about to get freighters, load them with mass drivers and automated mines and send them to Venus, and, just in case I make a major mistake, I'd like something to go back to.

There's a thread on backing up in the FAQ.

John