Author Topic: Standing Order improvement suggestion and discusion  (Read 1280 times)

Offline hostergaard (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • h
Standing Order improvement suggestion and discusion
« on: August 11, 2022, 08:08:29 AM »
I always felt that having only two conditional order was just a tiny bit too little.

I have been thinking that it should be possible to improve it and make it so that we can very reactive and intelligent fleets set up more complicated orders and so I have created a mockup. I first mucked about in pain and then I shopped something from screenshots.

Basically, left box are a series of orders that more or less is on a while loop for that fleet. The second box is the orders  itself. Technically, you could just have those two as one big order, but I think this makes it easier to use probably. Then the third box is the possible orders and conditions which is context sensitive.

Then on the right we have the upper box, which is the function box and is context sensitive. If you select order box it will have the IF AND DO WHILE and so on while having selected a condition/action.

The lower right is the targets.

This way a fleet can have practically a infinite number of standing orders and can react and act in a much more useful manner. Note that it can have various targets and conditions that is not itself, so it can go to a fuel harvester that is almost full instead of blindly going.

What more is that you can modify templates and orders you have made, so you don't have to make them all over for, say, new targets.

What are your thoughts? I figured I would get some feedback and see if we can develop a more optimal interface :)

Edit: the blue button should be something like "new order"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 10:15:16 AM by hostergaard »

The following users thanked this post: Destragon

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
Re: Standing Order improvement suggestion and discusion
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 06:15:33 PM »
Maybe the implementation could be changed to be a bit easier to read, but I definitely would like there to be an update to the standing order screen.
In particular I would love it if we could set a default standing order for all ships or maybe a default for each ship class.

Offline ydirbut

• Petty Officer
  • y
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 09:37:08 PM »
Honestly, the biggest improvement I'd like to see with standing orders is a way to create templates for them like you do for normal orders. Would make setting up your exploration ships much easier.

The following users thanked this post: alex_brunius, boolybooly, Snoman314, nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 10:36:27 AM »
Honestly, the biggest improvement I'd like to see with standing orders is a way to create templates for them like you do for normal orders. Would make setting up your exploration ships much easier.

This, and a general refresh of the existing orders would go a long way. For example, the "Refuel from Colony or Hub" conditional order will not refuel from stationary tankers, which is a pretty glaring oversight given that I really, really don't need a 50,000-ton mass refueling system to keep the occasional survey ship topped up - but a deep space tanker to support a survey group should be entirely doable. Little details like that.

The following users thanked this post: Snoman314