Author Topic: Raise Shields, ye skurvy sea dogs!  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
Raise Shields, ye skurvy sea dogs!
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:39:56 PM »
I decided to make this post based on the quote below:

*There's no point to the strength 2 shields.

I'm not getting shields.  I've seen it posted numerous times in the forums that anything below gamma shields are pointless, and having a couple shield units installed on your ships are likewise pointless.  The only times any enemy fire actually hits my ships (which usually sport 10 to 15 shielding units on even the smaller vessels) is usually meson or saturating missiles-- making any amount of shielding essentially worthless anyway because if they're hitting me im swamped.

What I want to know is, how is the average Auroreer (term coined, submitted for your approval) to decipher how much stopping power our shields actually have?  Which figures should I be looking at to know how many damage points my shields are absorbing?  How much of a boost is Xi to Omicron, in real terms?  Is two points of shields actually just two points of damage?  How is that mitigated in terms of penetrating force of missiles-- the total warhead strength diminished by two and then a normal damage profile based on the smaller warhead strength?

Discuss!  Lets hear shield strats.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:58:39 PM by Thiosk »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Raise Shields, ye skurvy sea dogs!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 05:43:41 PM »
Say you got 2 pts of shields. Say you have 2 missiles coming at you. You do not intercept either. You get hit by a 4pt warhead. Shields gone, and armor takes 2 pts. Next missile hits, does 4 pts. 4 pts of armor gone. Your 2pt shields will fully regenerate in 300 seconds. In the next 5 second increment, your shields are now at .033333.

Another 2 missiles come in. One does 3.966667 damage (most likely rounded up to 4), and the other does 4.

That is why low amounts of shields are regarded as useless, as well as low-tech ones. Higher tech = faster regen rate.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »
Shields have two tech lines.  The first is the name of the shield and each point of shields stops 1 point of damage.  The second is how many points your shield regenerates.  If the two techs are at equal levels then your shields will take 300 seconds to fully recharge.  If you have strength 30 shields then this equalls 1 point of shields every 10 seconds.  A strength 60 shield will regenerate 1 point per 5 seconds, ect.  Note I am only refering to the total strength of your ships shields.  It really does not matter what the tech levels of your shields are for this part.  What does matter is how many hull spaces you need to get to that level of shields. 

In most of my fights I find a shield strength of less than about 30 to not do much good.  In addition the shields rarely make much of a difference in beam combat.  They can make a big difference in missile combat where salvo's tend to be seperated by 20-40 seconds.  One of the reasons that they help me in missile combat is I tend to go for a fleet structure where I use some anti-missiles to thin out the incomming salvo's and then have my beam weapons shoot down most of the rest.  This often does result in a couple of leakers getting through from each cycle of incomming shots.  The shields keep a lot of armor damage from occuring in this scenario.  Realy heavy shields are good for stopping a lot of damage, but they can take a lot of hull spaces, and they have a massive em signature as well.

As far as I can tell the damage done to your armor is based on what actually hits the armor.  So if a strength 16 warhead hits a ship with 5 points of shields left then the damage template would be that of a 11 point warhead.  You just reduced how deep the damage in your armor is. 

Brian

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:47:46 AM »
The big advantage to shields is economic and strategic.

1) Shields repair themselves (regenerate) which means a shield equipped ship will have some protection going into combat even if her armor is holed.

2) Since shields regenerate, you don't have to repair them. This keeps ships out of the shipyards, and cuts down on the materials required to repair them. This can be pretty important in mineral poor games, or if you have a fleet far out from a repair center.

Those two factors keep ships (and fleets) in the filed longer during hostilities. I use them extensively now, where before I generally did not, but I also spend the points on bringing my shield tech up quickly. On the plus side, shield research is cheap in comparison.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:43:09 AM »
I don't really use shields that much but I can throw some numbers out from my current game. Best shields I can now produce would be Delta R375/10 Shields, giving me the following:

Shield Strength: 2.5
Recharge Rate: 2    Recharge Time: 375 seconds
Cost: 9    Crew: 3     Daily Fuel Cost while Active: 10
Materials Required: 2.25x Duranium  3.75x Corbomite  3x Boronide

Size is 50 tons so 1 HS. Not too bad. Hmm, difficult to compare directly with armour since it depends on the size of the vessel. For small ships, armour would be cheaper, whereas the larger the ship is, the more efficient the shield becomes.

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »
No shields for me.  I find the weight trade-off to be poor. 

Better to stuff more offense instead.  Kill him before he kills you, that sort of thing. 

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 04:25:21 PM »
Im thinking in my next game, i'm going to play a beam only-90% shield game.  Very little armor, tons of shields.  just for the roleplaying.  But i think it will be even more interesting than an all beam game.

(but orbital bombs are ok)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
Im thinking in my next game, i'm going to play a beam only-90% shield game.  Very little armor, tons of shields.  just for the roleplaying.  But i think it will be even more interesting than an all beam game.

(but orbital bombs are ok)

What I like to do is use the random allocation of RP at the game setup. This does not provide a balanced tech start. I use this to say the areas that get the most tech allocation are the techs I'll follow. So I can end up with lasers and plasma carronades and no missiles.

One idea is to use the random allocation, and then anything that did not get any points is off limits. So you can end up with great missile speed and warheads, but no reload rate. Or beam weapons with no good capacitor tech.

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:49:49 PM »
hm, i suppose steve could roll in tech strenghts and weaknesses at game start.  Some tech lines are strong-- research at normal rates.  Some techs are difficult for your race, so they require a varying amount of extra RP-- I'm thinking 100% to 500% more to make pursuing the powerful techs of things you're bad at prohibitive.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »
There is an easier way to do that than asking Steve to code yet another feature: Whatever scientists you start with are what tech lines you get.  Just don't research anything else - fire the scientists if the academy provides you with one.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 11:14:32 PM »
I was thinking of a varient where you can only research in trees where you have a researcher with skill in the field.

The problem with your idea Xeryon is I've had games where I start with a defensive, biology and ground/logistic researcher. Not being able to research anything else would make for a... short game. (No new engines, jump drives, sensors, or weapons?)

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 06:11:35 AM »
Within reason...  At the start of a game I tend to go back and reroll scientists until I get a power, sensors and construction.  You can have a game go pretty far without a power scientist really.  It's all in the RP.  I tend to play without 2 of the 3 spoiler races and the game is fairly easy enough at that point to work around the limitations of research restrictions.

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 06:45:53 AM »
Shields are not so bad at all, not even at low tech levels, and sometimes even in small quantities. The advantage is that shields constantly increase the ability to absorb damage, while many other methods have diminishing returns for extra investments.

That is particularly true when you compare the three only methods that allow sutained damage absorption: Beam PD defences, shields and speed. (Armour, internal hitpoints and AMM only allow temporary damage absorption/prevention, i.e. they run out eventually).

A shield will continuously recharge (if any damage has been done), i.e. it allows absorbing a given amount of damage per second. For instance a shield might be recharging 1 point per 100s. The important bit is that this scales perfectly with the number of shields, i.e. 2 shields will recharge 2 points per 100s, 20 shields will recharge 20 points per 100s etc. So the addition of a single shield (at this tech) adds 0.01 D/s (damage absorption per second) –regardless of whether it’s the first or the fifties shield on the ship.

This is not true for speed or beam PDs. As a simple (and unrealistic) example: An enemy launches a single missile every 20s. The missile is 10 agility, travels 20,000km/s and has a warhead of 4.
  • Assume we don’t have any engines: speed is 0, the enemy missile has a 100% chance of hitting, causing 4 damage every 20s.
  • The addition of single engine might change our speed to say 4,000 km/s. The enemy missile is now only 50% likely to hit, causing 2 damage every 20s. Thus the first engine might reduce the damage by 4D/40s =0.10 D/s (ten times better than the shield!)
  • A second engine will increase the speed further, lets say to 8,000 km/s (of course the speed will not increase linearly to the number of engines, as those must propel themselves as well, but lets keep it simple). Now the enemy missile is 25% likely to hit, causing 4 damage every 80s. Thus the second engine has reduced damage by only 4D/80s=0.05D/s. So the second engine prevent much less damage than the first – and the third will prevent even less and so on. Moreover, the second engine is already equal to the shield in this crude example (you could use 5 shields a 50t instead of 1 engine a 250t).

The point is that the more engines we add, the less they add to our protection. And in particular, because they become less and less valuable, at some point adding more engines will be less valuable than shields.

The same holds for (most) beam PD weapons. Assume the example from above: enemy missile approaching at 20,000 km/s. Lets use a turreted PD laser at a tracking speed of 10,000km/s to combat that.
  • The first laser has roughly a chance of 50% to kill the missile in final fire. Thus it will destroy 4 damage points from reaching the ship every second salvo (40s). Assuming the ship travels at 4,000km/s, it will thus prevent 2 damage points from hitting the ship every 40s (missile is 50% likely to hit if it reaches. In other words the beam might destroy a missile that would have missed anyway). So the “value” in terms of prevented damage is 2D/40s=0.05 D/s.
  • If we add a second laser, it can only operate against the single enemy missile if the first laser has missed (otherwise there would not be a target left). Thus the chance of the second PD firing is 50%. The chance of it hitting when it fires is also 50%, thus it can stop 1 missile (4D) from reaching the ship every four salvos. Taking into account that these missiles might miss anyway, the second laser prevents 0.025D.

Again, beam weapons exhibit a decreasing return: The more you add, the less valuable the next one becomes.

Thus inevitable at some point shields will become the best investment for prolonged protection. The exact point at which that happens depends on a lot of factors- technology, warhead and speed of the enemy missiles and size of their salvos. But regardless of these factors there will be such a point.

Interestingly: that point where shields become superior to other methods will be relevant for beamwarships in open space actions (i.e. away from jumpgates) regardless of the techlevel! If you need to cross the distance to an enemy missile ship, you will invariably be exposed to a huge amount of damage that needs to be absorbed. Thus you cant rely on armour or PD missiles alone – try fielding enough armour to sustain 2 hours or so of unopposed bombardment, or carrying enough PD missiles to last that long. But you do not only want to rely on the sustainable methods of protection, you also want to be very certain that very few enemy missiles get to cause real damage. As we saw above you need increasing amounts of say beam PDs to be more and more sure to kill the enemy missile. A single mount allowed 50% kill likelihood, but that meant half of the missiles of the enemy still got through, which would not help much. Two mounts meant 75% likelihood, still to little. To get a 90% likelihood of killing the enemy missile we would need 4 Pd weapons, in order to get 99% we would need 7 (against a single missile!). 100% can never be reached... So pretty much by default we would get to the point where shields start to look interesting. Consider say a strategy where 90% of incoming missiles get shot down, and shields are sufficient to absorb the remaining 10% of damage…

And we have not talked about beam weapons and how shields are more effective than armour at countering the “narrow, deep” damage profile of say lasers.

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 07:38:17 AM »
Sadly, I can't devote enough time to this post to honour your sophisticated research into the topic, but I find your example too abstract to successfully measure the efficiency of shields. I can't decline that shields would be most valuable on ships that are prone to take hits, namely beam ships but also sensor ships - and maybe sufficiently large battleships or (assault) carriers.

Engines have further strategic value for increasing the approaching ship's speed, not only reducing the enemy's hit rate, which shortens the required time to close in (=> increase in evaded damage).

Missiles arriving one by one is an unrealistic example that disregards the usual combat situations. An increased number of missiles allows for a higher efficiency of beam-PD, whom aren't 'wasted' if multiple targets can be engaged and destroyed. Shields on the other hand have a constant regeneratory factor that is affected by all enemy missiles equally, while beam-PD is at least slightly luck based and offers internal redundancies, regardless of technology levels. While this proves disadvantagous for head-on calculations, the chance to score a lucky hit or two increases with additional beam-PD weapons.

Something you disregarded by choice is that even in final-fire mode, the beam-PD is at full strength for every impact while shield strength starts out strong and is ultimately reduced to its regeneration speed. This, however, is a point for shields, as they're the only defensive measures that allows you to actually increase your defensive capacity to a certain point above regeneration rate.

Due to these antics I believe shield efficiency to behave more along a linear function corrected for stagnation after a certain point has been crossed (with the decline explained by wasted HS), while beam-PDs appear to me as an exponential function corrected for stagnation after a certain point. Engines could be close to a bell curve.

For prolongued conflicts - like beam ship approaches - you'd also have to calculate in the likelihood of the enemy running out of ASMs into your simulation.

Something that I would personally like to be included - especially if you argue with beam ships - is cloaking. The damage absorption of cloaking technologies can be expressed by missiles not fired while the ship's approach remains hidden, probably corrected for increased speed efficiency as the enemy is unlikely to run away from an unknown thread (at least in an intelligent way).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:41:48 AM by Vynadan »

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »
Missiles arriving one by one is an unrealistic example that disregards the usual combat situations. An increased number of missiles allows for a higher efficiency of beam-PD, whom aren't 'wasted' if multiple targets can be engaged and destroyed.
You are quite correct in saying that beam-PD stays efficient when shots are not wasted through a lack of targets. In other words: As long as there are more incoming missiles than beam-PDs, adding beam-PDs is a very sound strategy.

However I am arguing that this is a lost proposition to begin with. If you have 20 incoming missiles and you shoot down 4, then this does not constitute a sustainable defence strategy.

Conversely, a sustainable strategy always implies that a vast majority of the incoming missiles is countered in one way or the other. And if you were exclusively using PD-beams, you would (necessarily!) get to the point where most shots will be wasted. The hits caused by beam-PDs follow a binomial distribution, capped at the number of incoming missiles. If you want a small chance that all shoots miss, you will invariably get a large chance of an "overkill".

My example from above (single missile) was for illustration only, as its easy to see the diminishing returns. The effect is not dependent on that particular number however, it is simply the most convenient. A “real” example from my current campaign: Running against an enemy launching 30 WH7 missiles every 20s. My Gaussguns have a chance to kill of 50% per shot (and fire four shots each), while my shields regenerate 0.02 Damage per second. On a per-weight basis the first gaussgun is 3 times as efficient as a shield. But having one Gaussgun (and shooting down 2 out of 30 missiles) wont really keep me alive for long. At the 11th gg, the diminish returns start to kick in – but at that point I can still be 99% sure that enemy missiles will come through every time. At 19 GG, I would still have to expect that 11% of the times enemy missiles will get through – and at that point GG are actually only half as efficient as regenerating shields. The optimal strategy for me is to use 17 GG and 15 shields. This way I can sustain the enemy fire pretty much until infinity- which would never be possible with any other method than shields.

EDIT: There is one exception to all this, which is when your beam-PDs can actually achieve a 100% hit chance against incoming missiles. Although this might be slightly theoretical, in such cases beam-PDs would stay a superior choice.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:03:04 AM by Theokrat »