Author Topic: Starting RP Value...missing?  (Read 2314 times)

Offline JohnnyR (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
Starting RP Value...missing?
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:28:02 PM »
I can't seem to find where I can see my current starting RP.   Its not to the right of the compare button like it should be? (in the research tab)

I have one project researching already, and it says my annual RP is 6400, this is not my starting RP correct? Just the RP I produce in a year?

Thanks!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Starting RP Value...missing?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
Are you in SM Mode? And did you have the game automatically allocate the points?

Offline JohnnyR (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:12:48 PM »
doh! you are right.  It must have automatically allocated it.  Mystery solved. 

On a different subject, civilians create a mining colony on a planet automatically.  I can see in the summary there are 3 civilian mining complexes, but I'm not getting any minerals on the mineral tab.  Can you explain what exactly is going on? (Do civilians have their own mineral supply that I can't touch/see?) And if I wanted to mine this planet, I would need to move mines there myself?

And if I don't want the civilians having their grubby hands all over my precious minerals, can I kick them out?  :D

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »
CMC will either grant you minerals for wealth, or provide wealth from taxation.

I am unsure if you can evict civvies from someplace. Unless it is outsystem, then you can mark that system forbidden.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »
The only way i've stopped civvies from getting minerals is to put thousands of mines on the world and mining it out.

Look at the accebilities of the minerals on the moon-- is it really critical for you that you get those minerals?  Or are the accessibilities low, like .1?

Theres nothing better than civ mining on low acc. worlds-- they generate wealth forever and really take nothing from you.

In the civilian tab of the f2 window on bottom left, you can order the civs on that colony to ship the minerals to you.  Its expensive to do so, but helps in a pinch, or if they started mining a fantastic world-- you pay per facility, not per mineral.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »
If you buy the civilian minerals be sure to pick the ones that are mining a wide range of minerals since the price is the same regardless.

You can put your own installations on the body and mine it in addition to the civilian installations.  Eventually the civilians will put quite a few mines on a profitable body but it takes them a long time.  You have a while before they would remove any significant quantity of material.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
good hints

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
If you want to get rid of a CMC that has set up on a world you can do so by abandoning the colony that the CMC created. In most cases though you are usually better off leaving them there and either buying their output or collecting the extra income.

Note that if you are going to abandon it, you can use a freighter to recover the free tracking station that is deployed by the CMC and a troop transport to recover the free garrison battalion.

Offline nafaho7

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:10:11 PM »
On a different subject, civilians create a mining colony on a planet automatically.
And if I don't want the civilians having their grubby hands all over my precious minerals, can I kick them out?  :D
There is no particularly easy way, that I know of, to simply kick out a civilian mining operation, or to nationalize it for the greater good, short of declaring a body to be abandoned.  However, if abandoning colonies is simply not to your taste, you can beat the civilians to the punch, instead.  A civilian mining colony will only be established on a body that has never been officially claimed as a colony.  Therefore, if there are several bodies in a system that you wish to stake out for yourself, simply declare empty colonies upon those bodies, and the civilians will never set up shop on your precious high yield worlds.  This method is much less painful than it used to be, given that the listing for systems and colonies in the Economics window has recently been revamped.

Offline JohnnyR (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
Thanks guys! This info was super helpful.  I'll be sure to start claiming stuff before the civs get a chance to =)

While I was playing, some odd behavior showed up. If I want to add a research item to the queue, it uses the scientist that is currently researching something. As in, I can't assign a different scientist to the research queue. Is this intended? This happens when I am using all of my research labs on one project, and would like to queue up the next one.

Another question, is it better to use all your labs on a single project, or spread the labs out amongst multiple projects? Which way is typically the most efficient? (Time vs quantity if things researched)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:22:41 PM by JohnnyR »

Offline Steven Kodaly

• Leading Rate
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 11:01:33 PM »
Quote from: JohnnyR link=topic=4697.  msg47590#msg47590 date=1331176554
If I want to add a research item to the queue, it uses the scientist that is currently researching something.   As in, I can't assign a different scientist to the research queue.   Is this intended?

As far as I can tell, yes, it is working as intended.    Projects in a queue are linked to a particular set of labs and the scientist using that set of labs.    There is no way, to the best of my knowledge, to queue up scientists to take control of a particular set of labs as research projects are completed.    If there were such a way, Mr.   Walmsley - the person writing this game - would need to take into account what happens if and when a researcher dies on the job.    Would you really like to see a missile project being handled by, say, the biologist you have lined up for the next project, and his project now scheduled to be researched by the sensor expert originally lined up for the project after that?

Quote from: JohnnyR link=topic=4697.  msg47590#msg47590 date=1331176554
Another question, is it better to use all your labs on a single project, or spread the labs out amongst multiple projects? Which way is typically the most efficient?

That is an interesting question, as there is another item to take under consideration - improvements to your scientists.    As any officer or scientist performs his or her job, there is a periodic check to see if the person gets a boost to the relevant skills being exercised; for scientists performing research, the improvements are generally in the form of higher research bonuses and greater number of labs that may be placed at their disposal.    As such, it generally pays off to have as many scientists as possible performing simultaneous research, as they will all have the chance to improve their applicable bonuses.    Your mileage may vary, of course, as there may be times when one simply must have that shiny new sensor suite, now!

On a completely unrelated note, is there any particular reason that my quote blocks appear so ugly, with mangled URLs being displayed?
Charming, to the last.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 12:51:18 AM »
Haha, yes there is a reason for mangled URLS:  You haven't posted enough yet, and its an anti-spambot prevention measure.

I've been here less than a year, and look how many ridiculous posts I've made.  I like talking!  Everyone keep posting.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 06:40:38 AM »
A scientist working with 1 lab will gain experience at the same rate as the guy with 30 labs.  Your best bet is to have as many people researching as possible and load up the guy(s) working on your priority research projects with as many labs as possible.

Generally, I have found, the civilians mine very little relevant material from a body.  They are nice for early game income and usually your starting system never turns out to be very mineral rich anyway.  I like the extra income.  Would be nice if I could subsidize the mining colonies much like the shipping lines.

Offline Steven Kodaly

• Leading Rate
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 12:25:04 PM »
Quote from: xeryon link=topic=4697. msg47596#msg47596 date=1331210438
Generally, I have found, the civilians mine very little relevant material from a body.   They are nice for early game income and usually your starting system never turns out to be very mineral rich anyway.   I like the extra income.   Would be nice if I could subsidize the mining colonies much like the shipping lines.

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, even scraps of transnewtonian minerals can be valuable to a player with the wealth to spare, especially since a player doesn't need to move population or (auto)mines or mass drivers to the Civilian Mining Complex.
Charming, to the last.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 06:19:54 PM »
JohnnyR, if you just want to add another research project to a scientist already performing research, first click on his/her name, then on the project and lastly on "queue" or "queue top" buttons. As others pointed out, you cannot queue a different scientist to use the labs of someone else but at somepoint you will have good scientists for each field and plenty of labs, at which point it is useful to queue a proper "chain" of projects for each.