Author Topic: jump point laser defense  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
jump point laser defense
« on: April 06, 2010, 11:10:58 AM »
How would I go about building a small "bouy" or platform that does nothing but fire a large laser at any enemy ship that jumps through...just a platform with active sensors and lasers. Is this possible? I only see designs for missle buoys.

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
Re: jump point laser defense
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:43:11 AM »
You can't at present build a laser buoy, no, though people have asked for it.

You can build a laser platform just like a ship, though - just don't put on any engines.  You'll need to use a tug to put it in place.

Personally, I like to use laser-equipped gunboats for jump-point defense.  (I understand other people like to use carronades;  I don't have any experience with them yet.)  Though I'm thinking of putting up a hangar platform for them so they don't have as many maintenance troubles.  The trouble with a stationary platform is that it's stationary - a ship jumps through blind, but it can move right away, and pull out of range.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 11:50:14 AM »
I would recommend Mesons, like Star Swarm do.
For Lasers, you could use the recent Idea of ships towing modules with them.
Just drop a few on the point.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »
For jump point defense given the scatter of incoming ships you need fairly large long range lasers to get good hits , or risk the arriving ships appearing beyond your effective weapons range. I think at least 20cm , meson weapons have a shorter range but are equally effective over the entire range , I tend to find that Cannonades, Railguns , torpedo's are less effective than lasers but still go with them sometimes.
For a platform I prefer a ship as that way I can move to keep the arriving ships at effective range , although if you sit onthe JP at least he cannot send the jumpship out for reinforcements without getting shot up. My preference for JP defense is short range high speed missiles as you can hopefully get your hits before the attackers point defense can come up