Author Topic: Editing somewhat key components of the game  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Edward (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • E
Editing somewhat key components of the game
« on: May 11, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
Hello, new player here.

I'm very impressed with your work in this game, and while I see huge potential in it... there are a few things about it that bother me.  They aren't really game mechanic issues, more personal preferences.

For starters, the use of fictitious elements and materials instead of things like steel, aluminum, titanium, and uranium.  It seems to me that neutronium and stuff would be manufactured in complex facilities, not really... mined like if it was an ore.

The other thing that is nagging at me is the use of the term navy.   To me a navy is... well, naval.   From the root nautical, to do with water and the sea.  I just find it makes more sense to call it a fleet, or Space Force(s).

Again, these are minor things, and I doubt the next version would have changes implemented to favor to my preferences.  But I was wondering are there ways to change the program so that these texts will... you know, show the ones I want?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Editing somewhat key components of the game
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:58:08 AM »
I am moving this thread to The Academy, which is intended for "new user" questions such.  Please read the "Where should I post?" thread in the FAQ board (the one you originally posted in).

In answer to your question, Aurora is not intended to be modable, other than changes that can be made in SM mode.  So no, you're not supposed to change the mineral names.

John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Editing somewhat key components of the game
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »
The new minerals are part of the background story for Aurora and are trans-dimensional elements that explain the ability of Aurora ships to ignore Newtonian laws. The references to Navies is because many Aurora players are military sci-fi fans and most military sc-fi novels use the term Navy for spacegoing fleets. It would actually seem really weird not to call them navies :)

Steve