Author Topic: noob request  (Read 9652 times)

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
noob request
« on: August 09, 2011, 05:16:48 AM »
Hi all.  I am new here and i need help.

I have tried to play aurora and failed  ;D
First my English is not very good but i found it good enough for playing.  My problem lies in complexity of the game.  I studied tutorials but it is not enough.  What i want to ask for is some first hand algorithm. What i need to do first.  Like first 30-50 steps.  What should i build and where, what research and why, what planet colonize, where send ships, what size of them design and so on. I know that the power of this game lies in that You can do whatever You want.  I like it.  But game is so complicated that i find playing hard because i don't do some things because i don't know i CAN do them  :)

I would be extremely grateful for Yours suggestions on how to start new game and what to do at the beginning.
I know that it will not guide me to the end, but beginning is the hardest part of journey.

Only in Death does Duty End

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Re: noob request
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:03:55 AM »
Start a new standard game but with Invaders off - too hard for noobs.
First order of business is to design an engine for your ships. At the bottom of the F2 screen is the Design button. This brings up the design window where you can design your first engine from the drop down menu. Just use the parameters that irt defaults to and press the Create button next tot he line where you can put a fancy name in if you desire. At the bottom the is a drop down menu - after creating your military design then create a Commercial version.

Is this the sort of thing you want or do you want something more like this....

1. Design Military and Commercial engines
2. Create a Geosurvey ship with Commercial engine and several Geological Sensors - don't forget to include lots of fuel - enough so it can go for a 1,000 days is good
3. Create a similar design for a Gravsurvey ship using Gravitational Sensors - these make these ships count as military so you might as well use the more powerful military engine in these.
4. Design a Jump engine that can jump ships as big as the biggest of these 2 designs. The create a Jump ship with lots of fuel and click the Tanker check box so the other ships can refuel from it.
5. Select a commercial shipyard and tell it to Retool for your Grav design. AS it will be the yards 1st design it will do this immediately. Then tell the yard to add capacity if 4 or more slipways or Add Slipway if 3 or less. The in the bottom section start constructing Grav ships to the limit of slipways.

and so on...

Or are both these too detailed and instead you would prefer similar poitns
1. Design Engines
2. Design Grav and GEo survey ships
3. Design Jump engine as big or bigger than Geo and Grav ships
4. Design Jump Ship
5. Retool Commercial yard and start constructing Geo ships...

etc

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »
Quote from: Peter Rhodan link=topic=3924.  msg38017#msg38017 date=1312898635
Is this the sort of thing you want or do you want something more like this.  .  .  . 

1.   Design Military and Commercial engines
2.   Create a Geosurvey ship with Commercial engine and several Geological Sensors - don't forget to include lots of fuel - enough so it can go for a 1,000 days is good
3.   Create a similar design for a Gravsurvey ship using Gravitational Sensors - these make these ships count as military so you might as well use the more powerful military engine in these. 
4.   Design a Jump engine that can jump ships as big as the biggest of these 2 designs.   The create a Jump ship with lots of fuel and click the Tanker check box so the other ships can refuel from it.   
5.   Select a commercial shipyard and tell it to Retool for your Grav design.   AS it will be the yards 1st design it will do this immediately.   Then tell the yard to add capacity if 4 or more slipways or Add Slipway if 3 or less.   The in the bottom section start constructing Grav ships to the limit of slipways. 

and so on.  .  . 

this version please  :)  

but if/when You write "design military scanner" and You mean default stats then OK, but if i need to change something like make it more long-range or something then please add suggestion what to change.   I'm little afraid of technologies.   I fear that i will produce too weak or powerful components.   If i need basic things then its great.   If i need changes please add them. 

And thanks for help  ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:28:07 AM by orfeusz »

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:05:33 AM »
WHen I say above " Design xyz..." I mean create the project then assign a Scientist and 1 or more Labs to do the research - I hope you know how that works.
As a general rule I keep like 1/2 my labs researching the next Research Tech level in the  early game excapt if there is some emergency need for something - so if you have say 8 Labs - 4 should be researching the next Research level - I try and get to at least 400n as early as possible.
Early game keep a good 40% of your Industrial capacity building Labs
Ok
After getting a Geo ship design in production and the Grav design build about 5 Grav ships - build the same number of Jump ships when you get to that. Build as many Geo ships as your jump engine tech will carry - plus 4. So a normal early game Jump engine will carry 3 ships so build 8 + 4 Geo ships - keep 1 Grav and 1 jump and the 4 extra Geo at Earth as reserves and once you have surveyed Sol you can go of exploring with the 4 TG s (1 Jump, 1 Grav, 2 Geo) If you get like 5 or 6 jump points out of Sol then build extra TGs to match.
Once you have Military and Commercial Engine designs and a Jump Engine design - research Troop Transport bay and then Small Jump Gate module.
The reason not to build too many ships is that you will upgrade your engines fairly early on and you will lose ships to Precursors and Swarm.
Anyway with your Commercial yard the strategy next depends on the number of big yards - if only 1 build a combo 25kT capacity freighter / 10k colonist ship - you only need a couple early on - the Civies will build more - don't forget the Cargo Handling  module int he design to speed up loading.
if 2 yards - build a dedicated 25kT capacity freighter in one yard and a dedicated colony ship - preferably big enough for at least 100,000 colonists - more if possible.
once you have a few freighters and some colony ships - don't push the construction. As soon as your first ships come of the slipways you can start shipping Infrastructure and Population to Mars - then Factories, Mines etc.
After this design a Troop Ship and build one or two - and design a Jump Gate building ship once that research finishes

Ho is all this so far?

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »
Great, continue  ;D  but i need some thing cleared.

Quote from: Peter Rhodan link=topic=3924. msg38053#msg38053 date=1312974333
Build as many Geo ships as your jump engine tech will carry - plus 4. 
How does this work? A ship with jump drive is able to 'teleport using wormhole' other ships?

fairly early on and you will lose ships to Precursors and Swarm.
Are they some kind of old forgotten-AI-guardians/space monsters that live in some places?

build a combo 25kT capacity freighter / 10k colonist ship - you only need a couple early on - the Civies will build more
You mean private industry like in distant worlds? Will they use only ships i design/research?

As soon as your first ships come of the slipways you can start shipping Infrastructure and Population to Mars - then Factories, Mines etc.
I need to build them on Home-world and send to colony using freighters? infra+facto+mines+people?

and design a Jump Gate building ship
Eeee. .  like that thing in Stargate?  ;D

Many thanks! Continue ;)

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:17:56 PM »
How does this work? A ship with jump drive is able to 'teleport using wormhole' other ships?
Yes - build Ships with a Jump Engines and ships that are the same size or smaller can be ferried by the jump capable ship. You will have two options; a Standard Transit (the jump capable ships will ferry all the non-jump capable ships across, a few at a time - it may take a while to get the entire fleet across) and a Squadron Transit used for assaults where the jump ship will jump with all its fleet in a single jump (the total number of ships jumping at once will still be limited by engine design "Max Jump Squadron Size" and the distance from the wormhole where they appear limited by "Max Squadron Jump Radius").

Are they some kind of old forgotten-AI-guardians/space monsters that live in some places?
;)

You mean private industry like in distant worlds? Will they use only ships i design/research?
Yes - and only civilian class designs that are locked; for Freighters they will only use your designs with at least one cargo hold, Passenger ships with at least one Passenger Accommodation and Colony ships with at least one cryogenic transport.

I need to build them on Home-world and send to colony using freighters? infra+facto+mines+people?
Yes, although you can't carry people in cargo holds, you need Cryogenic Transport or luxury passenger accommodation modules on ships to move them.

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
New questions.   Many.    ;D

Can i only mine my colonies? Do i need to make colony on Venus to place/use automatic mines there?

Is it better to build normal or automatic mines?

What resources are most needed?

How to place infrastructure/mines that i build on home-world to cargo hold?

How to build Headquarters Ground unit.   Is it needed?

Will enemy races use ground combat against my worlds? Or will they bomb it away?  ;D

Do i need PDC? Big, small, STAR-SIZE?  ;D

Should i put some officers in some kind of training? (not ship formation)

Where will i need resources? Only on home-world or on Mars colony too? Or it doesn't matter what colony because they have one pool?

Should i send minerals to Earth from entire system?

What about sending resources from other system? I play with star-gates already build option. 

Will private sector transport resources for me? Is it automated?

Can i automate my freighters that transport infrastructure to colony?

Where can i see how much resources are on specific planet?

Will mass drivers be enough for transporting minerals? Do i need freighters for that?

If i don't build anything do i use resources?

Is there something that i should build when i have spare production time?

Fighters build on planet can operate from it? What is their range? Are they worth their price? How many build?

Should i begin researching mining-ship technologies right away? Or later in the game? Will i need them fast?

Thanks for reading!  ;)

Newest question.  I create a colony on Mars.  Before sending geological survey there.  Now GS Ship is scanning Mars but after that (2 times actually) i still don't see any minerals :/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:05:37 PM by orfeusz »

Offline Shemar

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »
I am just a noob myself but I will give it a try in answering some stuff. . .   :)

Quote from: orfeusz link=topic=3924. msg38119#msg38119 date=1313080666
Can i only mine my colonies? Do i need to make colony on Venus to place/use automatic mines there?
You can only mine colonies, but in Aurora you can just declare anything (even asteroids) as a colony for free without actaully installing anything on it or having any actual colonists.  Even for mining with mining ships you have to declare the asteroid as a 'colony'.  Colony is just Auora's term for 'place where I do/store stuff'.

Is it better to build normal or automatic mines?
Automatic mines cost double but they do not require population to run them.  So if you have the workforce, regular mines are cheaper for the same result.  If you do not (for example in any colony without actual colonists), automatic mines are the answer.

How to place infrastructure/mines that i build on home-world to cargo hold?
Persoanlly, I let the civilians carry all my installations.  They seem to have way more cargo ships than I could hope to build.  Just make sure you have a nice gfreighter design locked so they can build it and then you can tell them what to move for you by creating supply and demand orders.  If you want to use your own freighters, at the task groups window select the task group that has the freighter(s), select the colony that has the installation you want to move and load infrastructure/mines orders will appear.  In a similar way you can order the unloading.

Where will i need resources? Only on home-world or on Mars colony too? Or it doesn't matter what colony because they have one pool?
Wherever you plan to build stuff.  Every colony has its own resources.

Should i send minerals to Earth from entire system?
If that is where your industrial capacity is concentrated, then yes.  If you build stuff in other colonies too, then you need to figure out how you want the minerals distributed amongst them.

Will private sector transport resources for me? Is it automated?
No (but I think I saw something about being a future feature).  When you buy the minerals from civilian colonies they sit at the colony they mined them and it is your job to get them from there.

Can i automate my freighters that transport infrastructure to colony?
You can tell them to cycle orders, but then they will start complaining when they run out of infrastructire to transport.  I prefer to have the civvies do that for me by using supply/demand orders.

Where can i see how much resources are on specific planet?
Mining tab on the Economy window.  As you select each colony on the left you can see the mineral situation on that colony.  The stockpile column is the available minerals.

Will mass drivers be enough for transporting minerals? Do i need freighters for that?
A mass driver can send 5000 tonns of minerals a year, which should be enough for the maximum output of most mining colonies, at least at first.  You can add more when one is not enough, or suplement with freighters.  You only need a single receiving mass driver no matter how many incoming packets you have.

If i don't build anything do i use resources?
If you have docked military ships being maintained, you use a small amount of minerals there.  I am not sure if there is anything else I am missing.

Is there something that i should build when i have spare production time?
More factories and labs.  Also mines, if you do not have enough but more factories and more labs never hurt.

I create a colony on Mars.   Before sending geological survey there.   Now GS Ship is scanning Mars but after that (2 times actually) i still don't see any minerals :/
That is normal.  Not all planets have minerals.  But do send a good geology team and they may find some.

I hope this helps! Also that more experienced players will correct me if I gave wrong advice.  Sorry I could not answer the rest of your questions but I don;t know the answers myself.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »
A note on the mass drivers, if you do NOT have one to catch very bad things happen.

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 03:44:16 AM »

Quote from: Shemar link=topic=3924. msg38129#msg38129 date=1313095453
Persoanlly, I let the civilians carry all my installations.   They seem to have way more cargo ships than I could hope to build.   Just make sure you have a nice gfreighter design locked so they can build it and then you can tell them what to move for you by creating supply and demand orders.  

So i need to create a supply for transport or supply for mine on that world?

No (but I think I saw something about being a future feature).   When you buy the minerals from civilian colonies they sit at the colony they mined them and it is your job to get them from there. 

I know this game is great, but . . .  civilian colony?! How does it work?

I hope this helps!

Yes it helps.    :)

I will write again question You didn't answered for someone else  :)

How to build Headquarters Ground unit.    Is it needed?

Will enemy races use ground combat against my worlds? Or will they bomb it away?  Grin

Do i need PDC? Big, small, STAR-SIZE?   ;D

Should i put some officers in some kind of training? (not ship formation)

Fighters build on planet can operate from it? What is their range? Are they worth their price? How many build?

Should i begin researching mining-ship technologies right away? Or later in the game? Will i need them fast?

What about sending resources from other system? I play with star-gates already build option.  Can i use mass drivers for that?

Thanks for help

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 03:51:19 AM »
Hm... All of them have their uses, so they're all equally important. Duranium slightly more.

Will enemy races use ground combat against my worlds? Or will they bomb it away?
IIRC, someone had a dig sieged by enemies, but I think it was just precursors droppin' robots.

Depends, they're good if you have lots of asteroids but don't want to commit mines to them.

What about sending resources from other system? I play with star-gates already build option.  Can i use mass drivers for that?
Mass drivers are in-system only. You need to shuttle minerals through jump points with freighters, nothing stopping you from firing mass drivers across systems to loading areas though.

The rest, I don't know.

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 07:49:25 AM »
Do i need PDC? Big, small, STAR-SIZE?

These are really game decisions that are entirely up to you:

- do you feel the need for a star-sized pdc? Are you under threat? Can you afford the time and minerals it will take your for factories to construct?
- The fighters you build are designed by you so you will already know their range and whether they are worth it, so its really back to do you need/want them.. As for how many to build, again how many can you afford to make, how many do you need.. You will still need to find hanger space for them, either orbital stations, shipping or a pdc.
- Do you need/want mining-ships right away? Are you finding lots of small amounts of resources but nowhere worthwhile to fit a colony? Would you rather just not have the extra colonies? Your game, your call.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:56:52 AM by jRides »

Offline shadenight123

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • Gamer's thoughts-my blog
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »
you know.  i just facepalmed SO HARD that i think i will die soon enough for the trauma.
I just realized the Design botton existed. . . and what it actually does.
you know.
i think i'll facepalm some more.
people die all the time, it's not a problem.
it is if you're sending them to die.
i'm not. they just need to learn to be better.
at NOT BREATHING ON MARS!?
they need NOT TO CARE!
my blog (updated 17/12/2011) (updated every saturday):
http://shadenight123.blogspot.com/

Offline Shemar

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 12:38:46 PM »
Quote from: orfeusz link=topic=3924.  msg38162#msg38162 date=1313138656
So i need to create a supply for transport or supply for mine on that world?
You need a supply order at the colony where the installation currently is and a demand order at the colony where you want it to be trasported. 

I know this game is great, but .   .   .    civilian colony?! How does it work?
Civilians will automatically create their own mining colonies.   Then, in the same screen where you set up supply and demand orders, you will have the option of either buying the minerals from them or taxing them.   If you choose to buy them it will be your responsibility to trasport them from the mining colony to where you need them. 

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 03:39:10 PM »
Quote from: jRides link=topic=3924. msg38170#msg38170 date=1313153365
These are really game decisions that are entirely up to you:

Your game, your call.

I understand.  But sometimes its better not to waste time on things that has been proven wrong.  For example in some games there are weapons that nobody use because of some bug or they are 3 times worse then others.  As i see, that doesn't take place in Aurora.   ;D

Quote from: Shemar link=topic=3924. msg38183#msg38183 date=1313170726
Civilians will automatically create their own mining colonies. 

Using their own factories?

Furthermore:

Is it possible to build minefields?

Is it practical to build very big warships? Like 200-300k tones? Or are You against that design philosophy? I have seen many designs on this site, but they are small (5-6k) warships.