Author Topic: A small clutch of questions.  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Gump (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
A small clutch of questions.
« on: January 08, 2014, 01:56:53 PM »
I have a few questions I hope you shall be able to help me with;

I understand an active sensor can never spot beyond its maximum stated range, regardless of the size of the object to be spotted.  Does that hold true for passive sensors?  If an EM sensor can spot a 1000 strength emission at xkm, could it see a larger emission from beyond xkm?

How do I repair the armour of a PDC?

If I make a PDC with hanger space, should I include fuel and MSP supplies?

I occasionally find a system with multuple stars, where one star is a long long way away.  So far away I can't send a geosurvey ship there without tanker support.  I've noticed I can add geosensors to a missile design.  Can I use a design with a 'Geo Sensor Strength' of less than 1.0?  Will I need an active sensor and fire control that can see billions of km to target the distant planets?

Can someone tell me how to design a functioning mine (the explosive in wait, not the hole in the ground)? 

What does the recreational module do for a ship?

What do the 'expand civilian economy' techs do exactly?

Is the cost of installation construction based on the total number of construction factories or the total BP generate from those factories?  Am I driving myself into the poor house researching the BP tech line too soon?

Is there a cost of maintaining a fleet beyond the minerals they consume through maintenance facilities?

If I have multiple ships carrying maintenance modules, is the maximum ship size supported the sum of all maintenance ships?  Or equal the maximum size supported by one maintenance ship?

If I use a scouting vessel to probe ahead of a battlefleet with either a thermal sensor or an EM sensor which would be wiser to use?

I often see people appraising others ship designs and saying things like 'too slow for a plasma generation ship'.  Is there some rule of thumb for a speed to aim for, or its it purely a personal opinion?

How do you judge how large an invasion/defence army to use?

How/Where do I assign a task force commander & his subordinates?

Thank you.

EDIT:  When a geosurvey team has left a planetoid I Abandon it.  Is there anywhere I can find where I have searched with a survey team previously?
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:09:27 PM by Gump »

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
Re: A small clutch of questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »
Can someone tell me how to design a functioning mine (the explosive in wait, not the hole in the ground)?
Design a compact missile with an active sensor.  This sensor's range and resolution determines what you can hit, so the missile's fuel reserves only need to allow it to travel that far.

Now, design a mine.  This is a missile with no engine, no warhead, and no fuel, but the exact same active sensor as the missile you just built.  Then add, as a "second stage", the missile you previously built.  Add 3 or 4 of them, if you want.

The mine's sensor will trigger the smaller missiles to fire, so you obviously don't want a different sensor, or the mine might trigger on something the smaller missiles can't detect, or vice versa.

Now build a missile launcher big enough for the mine.  I usually minimize it to the smallest size that's not a box launcher, and use minimum reload tech to make it cheap.  It may take 2 hours to reload, but you're not going to be rapid-firing these mines.

You also need a missile fire control, again, use the worst technology you have, smallest size.  It doesn't actually have to target anything.

Build a ship, set up the mine launcher to the fire control, and now in the task group window you can give orders: "go to JP#1", "launch missiles at JP#1", and so on.

Pro tip: Do not use thermal or EM sensors for your mine in hopes of making it harder to detect.  I did this once and my thermal mines ended up firing on a friendly contact, starting a war!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 02:20:19 PM »

I often see people appraising others ship designs and saying things like 'too slow for a plasma generation ship'.  Is there some rule of thumb for a speed to aim for, or its it purely a personal opinion?
1. It increases the wealth production of the economy.

2. It's mostly personal opinion. :) But it is also based on experience of how fast a ship of X tonnage with Y tonnage of engines of Z tech can go.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 02:29:15 PM »
I have a few questions I hope you shall be able to help me with;

Happy to help! Though I'm afraid I don't know the full answer to some of these.

I understand an active sensor can never spot beyond its maximum stated range, regardless of the size of the object to be spotted.  Does that hold true for passive sensors?  If an EM sensor can spot a 1000 strength emission at xkm, could it see a larger emission from beyond xkm?

Passive sensors don't have a maximum range, no. This is particularly obvious for highly populated planets, which can have EM and thermal signatures in the low millions; at that point even the most primitive sensors can see them from extremely far away.

How do I repair the armour of a PDC?

As far as I'm aware you can't. You can't upgrade them either.

If I make a PDC with hanger space, should I include fuel and MSP supplies?

Fuel isn't necessary unless you want to roleplay it; you could just launch and have the parasites refuel from the planet. And in fact at one point having PDCs with fuel tanks was a good way to get spammed with out of fuel messages, but this may have been fixed. MSP could be useful for performing repairs on docked craft, but wouldn't be strictly necessary either.

I occasionally find a system with multuple stars, where one star is a long long way away.  So far away I can't send a geosurvey ship there without tanker support.  I've noticed I can add geosensors to a missile design.  Can I use a design with a 'Geo Sensor Strength' of less than 1.0?  Will I need an active sensor and fire control that can see billions of km to target the distant planets?

I believe you can launch missiles at a waypoint in orbit of a planet without needing a sensor or fire control for it, but I've never tried it so I can't give specifics. I usually ignore long distance binary stars.

Again, I have no personal experience, but I think if you design a missile with a sensor but no engine and include standard missiles as a second stage, it will launch those missiles when it detects a hostile vessel within the distance it's set to detach a second stage.

What does the recreational module do for a ship?

A recreation module provides a location for shore leave (but only when in orbit of a planet, I think).

They increase your wealth generation. I think they directly increase taxes and also increase the supply and demand of trade goods that your civilian lines ship around to generate money.

Is the cost of installation construction based on the total number of construction factories or the total BP generate from those factories?  Am I driving myself into the poor house researching the BP tech line too soon?

The wealth cost is based on the number of BP/CP/RP produced, not the number of factories. So techs that increase the production of factories/shipyards/research facilities also increase the wealth cost of operating them at full capacity. Note that you'll never lose out by increasing the tech, though, since producing the same amount of things will cost the same amount, it will just get done quicker.

Is there a cost of maintaining a fleet beyond the minerals they consume through maintenance facilities?

There's a wealth cost too, I think. I would assume it's 1 wealth per unit of minerals consumed in maintenance, since that would sync with the rest of the game's mechanics.

If I have multiple ships carrying maintenance modules, is the maximum ship size supported the sum of all maintenance ships?  Or equal the maximum size supported by one maintenance ship?

It's the total. You can use multiple maintenance ships together to service larger ships.

If I use a scouting vessel to probe ahead of a battlefleet with either a thermal sensor or an EM sensor which would be wiser to use?

I'd normally use thermal, since it's harder to hide from; thermal emissions come from a ship's engines, whereas EM comes from active sensors and shields, both of which are much easier to turn off. On the other hand, an EM sensor not only tells you where the enemy is, but if the enemy is looking for or targeting you. The best solution, if you can manage it, is to use both.

It's to some degree a personal opinion. I usually aim for a quarter to a third of a hull to be engines, for instance, but there's not really a right or wrong answer. However a lot of it is experience with what's most effective.

How/Where do I assign a task force commander & his subordinates?

I usually use the f4 personnel menu, and select the "Staff officers" assignment type filter. Knowing Aurora there's probably multiple ways to do it, though.

Thank you.

You're welcome.

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:27:31 PM »
I believe you can launch missiles at a waypoint in orbit of a planet without needing a sensor or fire control for it, but I've never tried it so I can't give specifics. I usually ignore long distance binary stars.

I routinely fire missiles equipped with just active sensors at interesting objects, including habitable planets, as part of my first-in missions, so I'm an old hat at this kind of thing. In principle you could do the same with missile-mounted geosurvey sensors.

To put a waypoint on a planet, first click on the planet (or moon or whatever) in the System Map (F3) window. Then, in the same window, in the Waypoints tab on the left hand side, click the Last button. Now the waypoint will follow the planet even as it moves in its orbit. Then just target that waypoint with your geosurvey missile.

If you try this I'd be interested in hearing how it goes. I tried including ancillary geosurvey sensors on my active sensor probes, but they never accumulated enough survey points to be worthwhile, so I dismisses the idea. It may work with a dedicated geosurvey probe though.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 07:11:07 PM »
I did the whole geosurvey missile gimmick in a game once. For the new guy, you don't need active sensors to target a waypoint and the fire control doesn't have to have enough range to reach the waypoint, but you do need a fire control. What I did was just design the smallest, most anemic fire control I could for my missile-surveyors/minelayers.

As for how useful it was, eh. It's rather micromanagement-intensive even if you only use them to survey the major bodies. It's slow as sin, but you don't have to keep a ship moving about in-system for that time. Keep a clutch of them on your jump scouts maybe and have them run while it does the grav survey.

And yeah, a rule of thumb for ship speed is a third to a fourth of a military ship's tonnage dedicated to engines at the normal power modifier.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:13:21 PM by Conscript Gary »

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 10:06:59 PM »
Hangar PDCs can't carry MSPs and I think there is a bug with them trying to repair damaged ships that land in them so repair elsewhere before using them.

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 11:39:31 PM »
A recreation module provides a location for shore leave (but only when in orbit of a planet, I think).

Can someone confirm or deny the bit in parenthesis, please? I am really interested in the answer for role play reasons.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 12:16:49 AM »
Can someone confirm or deny the bit in parenthesis, please? I am really interested in the answer for role play reasons.

It is correct, the body has to have colony on it as well.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 07:05:18 AM »
You can pop your colony onto a moon, asteroid or comet if you wish, also I believe that maintenance modules cumulate with planetary maintenance facilities, if that's helpful.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Gump (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 01:47:17 PM »
Design a compact missile with an active sensor.  This sensor's range and resolution determines what you can hit, so the missile's fuel reserves only need to allow it to travel that far.

Now, design a mine.  This is a missile with no engine, no warhead, and no fuel, but the exact same active sensor as the missile you just built.  Then add, as a "second stage", the missile you previously built.  Add 3 or 4 of them, if you want.

The mine's sensor will trigger the smaller missiles to fire, so you obviously don't want a different sensor, or the mine might trigger on something the smaller missiles can't detect, or vice versa.

How does this look?

The ASM;

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 6 MSP  (0.3 HS)     Warhead: 9    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 18
Speed: 30400 km/s    Engine Endurance: 1 minutes   Range: 1.4m km
Active Sensor Strength: 1.4   Sensitivity Modifier: 110%
Resolution: 100    Maximum Range vs 5000 ton object (or larger): 1,540,000 km
Cost Per Missile: 7.6916
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 547.2%   3k km/s 180%   5k km/s 109.4%   10k km/s 54.7%
Materials Required:    2.25x Tritanium   0.84x Boronide   1.4x Uridium   3.2016x Gallicite   Fuel x50

Development Cost for Project: 769RP

And the Mine;

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 19.56 MSP  (0.978 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 0 km/s    Engine Endurance: 0 minutes   Range: 0.0m km
Active Sensor Strength: 1.4   Sensitivity Modifier: 110%
Resolution: 100    Maximum Range vs 5000 ton object (or larger): 1,540,000 km
Cost Per Missile: 25.3148
Second Stage: Size 6 Anti-ship Missile x3
Second Stage Separation Range: 1,500,000 km
Overall Endurance: 1 minutes   Overall Range: 1.4m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 0%   3k km/s 0%   5k km/s 0%   10k km/s 0%
Materials Required:    6.75x Tritanium   3.36x Boronide   5.6x Uridium   9.6048x Gallicite   Fuel x150

Development Cost for Project: 2531RP

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:49:41 PM by Gump »

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »
It looks good, which is to say absolutely terrifying.

You've built an anti-capital ship mine here though. Which is just fine but it's something to be aware of: the relatively high resolution on your scanner means that it won't "see" small ships at 1.7 million K, but some much smaller distance.

But yes you have created something that will shred ships warping through a jump point
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »
Size 20 mine is good.  Once you have better warhead tech, you can replace 3x size 6 ASMs with 6x size 3 ASMs and still use the same minelayer to launch them.

There was a post a while back on one of these forums about a guy who added even one more level of awesomesauce: he created a drone (missile with engine but no warhead) with a very fuel efficient engine and vast range so that he could deploy one of these mines anywhere in Sol from the comfort of his PDC on Earth.  That'd be like a size 25-30 missile with the "second stage" being the two-stage mine and the third stage being the ASMs.  You'd fire it at a waypoint, it'd travel there and plant the mine.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 03:47:35 PM »
I know I've mentioned this before...

One caveat with mines is if you drop 100 mines on a JP, and all 100 detect a ship... All 100 fire. So you will get a smegton of overkill. Once.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »
It's a feature, not a bug. I consider it part of their charm.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound