Author Topic: Game discussion  (Read 25894 times)

Offline FrederickAlexander

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
Re: Game discussion
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2016, 07:41:32 AM »
Perhaps there was more going on behind both the absence of key members and the aggressive actions taken >.>

Offline Drgong (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2016, 10:38:45 AM »
I want to say thank you to both teams for putting the game as a whole as a prioity.  I enjoy being a admin, and glad for the most part everyone is enjoying themselves.

For making it to turn 10, dealing with our first game crisis, and making it to 2101, I am going to give a small gift to the two teams.

NAU and RUS will get a free 1,000 point research tech.  Just let me know in the orders which tech that costs no more then 1,000 points and it will be instant researched.
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »
Let me make one clear statement, and I am rarely clear in these matters, and usually try to say it politely:
Even Steve from the british isles couldn't amass the amount of "bloody" you would have to patch onto the "idiots" to express just how idiotic and useless this whole situation is, especially since it has been prepared over long time apparently.

NAU may not know, ok, though that is still disaster, but more shameful even, my teammates didn't realize, even though we talked about exactly this possibility early in initial strategy discussions. (Drgong has forum access, so he could have known too)
The reason this is all ridiculous to painful tear niveau: Mesons on planets do NOT protect from ICBM strikes

Seriously, how could that have slipped you all? You can set your PDC to either final defensive, or area defense. Final defense would work against direct attack, but why should the opponent chose military installations as targets, when he can just obliterate population or ground forces who cannot be protected?
For area defense however there is an interval needed to cause detection, and I explained basically first day in the Russia thread for us that this is not going to work out.(btw., I had never had to test this in practise to know..)
The thing goes like this:

5-second intervall
Missiles started at end of turn

5-second intervall
Missiles would get detected and shot now, but ohh nose, point-blanck range, oh the hazards of cold war and forcibly shared neighborhood -- they already hit. Lights out.

I mean, huh? Every mid-range missile combat should teach you this! The missiles are always one interval out in flight when you see them! Am I the only one here who plays this game?
Also, Russian comrades: You should have known, because I told you so, and you agreed! >:( >:( (I will link you the corresponding thread later, but this was in our very first briefing too, when we were still chatting on Discord..)

So since I have never actually had opportunity to see this in action (even though the mechanics are clear), I set up a game and mirrored our situation somewhat, so you get some proof.

Designs:
Off-Topic: show

Setup:

-----

-----

Firing turn:

-----

Obviously NAU still hasn't detected the missile strike, but SM window logs it, and Russia can see.

Strike Turn:

-----

NAU had no chance to detect, because missiles move before everything. Strike and kill because population was targeted. Disaster ensures. Hundreds of millions dead in the long run. Just like coming Trump America if scientific ignorance in leadership keeps staying a voting advantage.

Proof of operation fitness:
Just to show that there hasn't been anything wrong with any design or setting here, I also shot a second salvo towards a waypoint, so the beam-PDC would could take its ample detection time.

-----

The mesons only have 15k range, so they couldn't fire after the missiles flew one turn out (because, again, they move first), but you can see they detect them on second turn and try to fire, so the setup is fine.

Result:

Other things:
- Vasious mentioned that we also decided Meson would be against game spirit, but not for their missile interception quality, which we had collectively known at that point to be nil. The game spirit thing came from a comment of AL that let me do a test game. He figured that though mesons cannot be used from orbit to ground, maybe they still work ground to ground.... . Well, they do, which means ofc: Forget spaceships and missiles, because a shared start game is decided by who first has a meson firing capacity large enough to alphastrike all enemy icbm bases away in 5-seconds.
There is no detection delay and targeting, just fire and win. This was outrageous, and we decided against of course.
...Just so you know we could have sacked you through superior knowledge if we wanted for, what, the third time now??

- Where is the rest of the forum? Other people can read here too! Am I really the only one? (I don't even play all that often)
I mean, I understand not knowing all the details, because I learn new things frequently here from discussions as well, but really no one else with this?
Again too, because we have some other things in Russia discussed that also nobody seems to know of. Or before, PDC hangars seemed to get ignored, and nobody knew they would repair and maintain for free. Or how to set up carriers seemed to be a mystery to most. Also how to keep Aurora running smoothly on longer games, or what the game variable limits are.
..Maybe I should found a school, I could get rich! But you all failed, see you all next year in 2102.^^

So, that is enough shaming for today. ;D

NAU and RUS will get a free 1,000 point research tech.  Just let me know in the orders which tech that costs no more then 1,000 points and it will be instant researched.
I can't speak for others, but I am against this. Gifts of this kinds are none if the other team gets it too (plus minus gift), and there is no reason to give it just to one. Also it feels like it weirdly breaks continuity.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »
Edited post to take out language and not descend quite to that level.

You shame only yourself, Pre TN ICBMs, which are the only ones we are talking about defending, take something like fifteen minutes to reach their targets, plenty of time for even a feeble Meson base to shoot down rather a lot of them.

Your entire remaining post is more or less meaningless now.

Not really sure I'd pay for that school.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:21:44 PM by Panopticon »

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2016, 12:21:01 PM »
Yeah, there is a minimum 10.000 km distance. pre-TN ICBM flies at 10 km/s, so take 1000s or 16min40s to reach their target. I didn't know final defensive fire didn't protect populations though.

Also, without active sensors, you cannot target PDC or ground installation.

I agree with your opinion re:gift though.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2016, 01:00:17 PM »
Edited post to take out language and not descend quite to that level.

You shame only yourself, Pre TN ICBMs, which are the only ones we are talking about defending, take something like fifteen minutes to reach their targets, plenty of time for even a feeble Meson base to shoot down rather a lot of them.
Oha, that I didn't know indeed, because I had never used them. So 10k is minimum distance for missiles too, interesting.

Well, that was some serious flaw, and I am glad FSA had some failsafe up their sleeves. We could've probably still just nuked FSA territory to up the radiation if we felt ruthless enough.

Not really sure I'd pay for that school.
Oh, you are just upset now. Well, enough of that from me now.

Also, without active sensors, you cannot target PDC or ground installation.
Do you mean that PDC without actives cannot get targeted at all? That might have gone through the tests, though I was quite sure I just built a hangar for the shooting practice.(?)

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2016, 01:21:49 PM »
No, I mean if you don't have active sensors to paint target, ICBM bases can only target population, not enemy PDCs.

But yeah, we did run test. Since we're not going to be shooting anytime soone now, I think I can afford to show the Peacekeeper's design.

As you can see, it's very basic, optimised to shoot ICBMs and PDCs. (Fun fact: before trying, I didn't know that PDC without turrets still have a non-zero tracking speed).

10 mesons firing every 15 seconds make 660 ICBMs shot down over the 1000 sec launch time. More than enough to shoot down everything you guys had. Not quite enough to stop a joint launch, but we were hoping that our own nuclear arsenal would be a detterent of that, since we could launch six nukes for every one that  uoade it way to America.

That was before Drgong found the flaw in our design though. Can you find it?

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2016, 01:58:06 PM »
I see nothing today, as if the design isn't even there. :D (did not realize the downtime kicked me that much out of shape)

Very noble though to want to show the design.

No, I mean if you don't have active sensors to paint target, ICBM bases can only target population, not enemy PDCs.
Oh right, I thought you were addressing the "ground-meson beats all PDC" issue.
But this also means that you didn't seem to know about the meson not working past TN anymore. (or better, past 2k km/s ordnance) I already said in Russia thread, that I should probably not have revealed this for your surprise. ;)

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »
Well, we didn't know it was entirely ineffective. But yeah, we know our PDC would not be nearly as effective. Why do you think we wanted to get your IDBM bases out of the picture before then? :D

Offline Vasious

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • V
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2016, 04:36:40 PM »
Now that the Crisis is Resolved, what can we do to start to thaw the frosty world relations

Offline Red Dot

• Registered
  • Commander
  • R
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »
You will have to live through an isolationist period in NAU policy. 

Offline Drgong (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2016, 10:46:37 PM »
I will withdraw the "Gift" idea - it was a way I was handicapping the FSA, who I felt had to take too much a role in the crisis.   Since no one likes the idea scratch the idea.
----------------------------------------------

As for "What would happen if it launched."  I ran the war a number of ways.
I actually ran the war in my "Test" game.   Something that is easy enough.

War 1 - Russia Launches standard launch of ICBMS

NAU defeats launch in nine minutes.   Russia eliminated from game as mesons eliminate shipyards and ICBM bases.

War 2- Russia Launches "Drgong style" launch of ICBMS

NAU defeats launch in  15 minutes,   Russia Eliminated by Meson

War 3 - Russia and FSA launch standard launch of ICBMS

Close, but NAU defeats all launches by the skin of their teeth, FSA and Russia Eliminated

War 4 - Russia and FSA "Drgong style" launch of ICBMS

About 240 ICBMs impact NAU.

War 5  Russia and FSA  "drgong style" launch, with the previously undisclosed FSA ICBM+/Ratel Missiles.

X = number of ICBMS+
in 10 seconds,  X number of impacts on NAU , taking out shipyards and population.    ~240-(X) impact NAU.  We all die.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or in summary - Russia was defenseless unless they launched in coordination with the FSA, and even then, the only REAL counter was the fact that the FSA had spent the time and energy to develop missiles that strike so fast that mesons cannot counter.   

Secondly, the FSA only threatened to do so to keep Russia from getting knocked out of the game in turn nine.     The FSA was not a threatened by the NAU moves as we had security though the ICBM+ and good relations with the NAU.

Had is a key word.

Also, Russia might want to figure out how to obtain some way to counter the NAU meson (Plus perhaps some sort of FSA meson system that may be coming online.) As they really do not want to have to depend on the FSA for their existence.   Once will be out of friendship and admin goodwill.  2nd time the FSA won't be so generous. 
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline kks

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2016, 07:57:18 PM »
First of all, I want to apologize for the miscommunication and misunderstandings we had. We discussed it and we did not want any game ending war, but I personnaly really underestimated how that would result in such trouble. Sorry.

I would like to continue the RP on the espionage incident at the meeting before all that smeg happend, as we have prepared a few more answers but I didn't expect the PDC to be finished that soon, and this was why I let the RP in the UN thread open for you to answer. In the mails we exchanged it we talked about having it as a hearing, so if you would like to participate in it and give it a little bit and better flair, feel free to do so. Alternatively I can just write the rest myself, if you prefer that. Or nothing at all.
It will take some time though, as I haven't enough time for that until tuesday.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2016, 12:08:33 AM »
What's this drgong style of ICBM launch?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2016, 12:20:58 AM »
I'm guessing something along the lines of launch one missile per FC per 5s increment to create a huge number of independent salvos, since the PDC presumably has a 15s cycle time on each meson cannon and is bottlenecked by a low number of FC's.