Author Topic: Complete Rigellian Diary  (Read 17955 times)

Offline Warhead

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • W
Re: Complete Rigellian Diary
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 05:19:24 PM »
Hi, just arrived here today so still on my shake down cruise as far as this Forum goes. I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed following this story. I printed it off about four or five years ago (it was a different site) and read right through it. I even took it with me abroad so I could finish it off. It got me back into Starfire and looking around. Ok, so I'm not light speed at getting off my derrière but I'm here now.

Cheers.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 09:14:01 PM »
Quote from: "Warhead"
Hi, just arrived here today so still on my shake down cruise as far as this Forum goes. I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed following this story. I printed it off about four or five years ago (it was a different site) and read right through it. I even took it with me abroad so I could finish it off. It got me back into Starfire and looking around. Ok, so I'm not light speed at getting off my derrière but I'm here now.

Cheers.
Welcome aboard, may your stellar journeys be free of Precursors :)
Welchbloke

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 06:17:11 PM »
Thanks. It's always good to hear someone enjoyed reading it. It was a lot of fun to write.

Try reading some of the Aurora fiction. Aurora is a game I designed to help me write fiction and is entirely playable on PC. It is a lot more detailed than Starfire and going by the comments on the list, it appeals to a lot of people who played third edition Starfire (the edition for which I wrote the diary). The link to the sub-forum containing my latest campaign reports is below

viewforum.php?f=16

Steve

Offline Warhead

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • W
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »
Thanks very much for the welcome Welchbloke and for the advice Steve. I'll certainly have a good look round. The only time I played Imperial Starfire was years ago with pencil, paper and lots of math, fingers and toes time. A PC version sounds much less stressful. I only hope my old rustbucket of a PC can take the pace. It's also full of lots of my music right now. Hmm, it may be time for a purge. ;)

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 09:38:26 PM »
I can say it is definately worth the purge of a few songs to play this game...takes up way to much of my time. LOL

Mark

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 12:19:44 PM »
Thanks very much for the welcome Welchbloke and for the advice Steve. I'll certainly have a good look round. The only time I played Imperial Starfire was years ago with pencil, paper and lots of math, fingers and toes time. A PC version sounds much less stressful. I only hope my old rustbucket of a PC can take the pace. It's also full of lots of my music right now. Hmm, it may be time for a purge. :). In terms of PC requirements, the only one is a resolution of at least 1280x1024. If you have a slow PC, the game will just run more slowly but it will still run.

Here are some screenshots of the system and galactic maps: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1292

Steve

Offline Warhead

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • W
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 03:55:01 PM »
Thanks lads, I had a go at installing this today. It seemed to go well, all according to plan, I even managed to follow the instructions laid out in the instillation section but when I tried to play Aurora I got some error messages - (Error 3265 was generated by DAO. Fields items not found in this collection please report your inability to work things properly to Steve, yadda-yadda). *sigh* I later got another in the Galactic map that froze the game so I've been looking on the site for a clue since. It doesn't follow what I have found so far in the tutorial section. But, I'm working on it to correct the problem, I may need to re-do. It'll be operator error due to my inability to comprehend computers without the aid of a hammer. Anyway, if you have any suggestions please keep them low tech. Yes, I'm a ludite freek. o_0

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 05:55:43 PM »
Thanks lads, I had a go at installing this today. It seemed to go well, all according to plan, I even managed to follow the instructions laid out in the instillation section but when I tried to play Aurora I got some error messages - (Error 3265 was generated by DAO. Fields items not found in this collection please report your inability to work things properly to Steve, yadda-yadda). *sigh* I later got another in the Galactic map that froze the game so I've been looking on the site for a clue since. It doesn't follow what I have found so far in the tutorial section. But, I'm working on it to correct the problem, I may need to re-do. It'll be operator error due to my inability to comprehend computers without the aid of a hammer. Anyway, if you have any suggestions please keep them low tech. Yes, I'm a ludite freek. o_0
If you are missing fields in the database, the usual reason is that the executable file and the database don't match. Just check that you did the following:

1) Download AuroraInstall and unzip it. You will have four files called Aurora.CAB, Setup.exe, Setup.LST and AuroraUpdate.zip
2) Run Setup.exe. This should run a standard Microsoft install program, installing to the default C:\Program Files\Aurora directory
3) Unzip AuroraUpdate.zip into the same directory and answer yes to overwriting two files.

You then have the basic game. There are also two patches, one for data and the other for the exe.

1) Download the DBUpdate101.exe, place it in your v4.2 installation directory and run it.
2) Download the v4.26 patch and unzip it into the installation directory, overwriting the existing Aurora.exe.

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »

Regarding the tutorial, it is sadly out of date. I believe it was written for a version of 2.x, not 4.x. Most of it holds true, but there are some significant changes. I'll put forth the invitation again to anyone who wishes to update it, may do so. :)

Offline Maltay

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 11:21:12 PM »
The download link is broken.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 12:13:45 PM »
Quote from: "Maltay"
The download link is broken.
I have updated the link

Steve

Offline simon

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 02:27:57 AM »
:)  and whenever i read the final Kapaluan war i see operation barbarossa with its deep thrusts and encirclments. I understand how it produced an nytimes bestseller. The day aurora becomes a rts it will meet its match :wink: )

Offline simon

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
Re:A sample of Bug psychology
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2010, 01:32:33 PM »
"Imagine you're a bug :) Direct quotation from Peter watts Blindside(Free Online) just replace bug with "scramble."
 :idea: This is an Intresting take on alien pyschology. Read it if you can, its a lovely book. It would be very intresting if you could mix this perspective in aurora novellas with liberal doses of precursors for a trully one of a kind twisted darwinian struggle. Even more twisted perspectives most welcome.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2010, 01:56:23 PM »
I used the Microsoft Image Composite Editor to stitch together all the available maps and this is what it produced:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B37y6KGapMvXYjU5NjM4N2UtOGQyMy00MzQyLWFlOTYtYjkzZjI2ODk2YTYy&hl=en

It isn't perfect due to two things:
1. The different images are taken at different times of the campaign.
2. The systems will have moved around a bit as new links were found.

But still, it took 10seconds in ICE were as it would have taken 10hours in Paint.net :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 02:35:43 PM by Beersatron »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2010, 02:10:24 PM »
I used the Microsoft Image Composite Editor to stitch together all the available maps and this is what it produced:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B37y6KGapMvXYjU5NjM4N2UtOGQyMy00MzQyLWFlOTYtYjkzZjI2ODk2YTYy&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

It isn't perfect due to two things:
1. The different images are taken at different times of the campaign.
2. The systems will have moved around a bit as new links were found.

But still, it took 10seconds in ICE were as it would have taken 10hours in Paint.net :)

Google says the document is not available.